Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:09 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,538,216 times

Advertisements

et black friday?? Ummm you talking about when a store sells stuff cheap??

Eh..... what is almost hawaiian?? you is or you aint....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 10:13 PM

121 posts, read 524,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
I went store today, a gal. chocolate milk was 9.69 at Star Super, and thats without the cow.....

Kawena, see my post today's date.
Eddie

Old 03-09-2009, 10:47 PM

263 posts, read 1,005,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
Eh..... what is almost hawaiian?? you is or you aint....
Well, okay. There's the ones directly descended from the people who populated the islands many hundreds of years ago. Are they hawaiian? Then there's the ones who are partially descended from them but the other half of the family tree is from the white invaders in the 1800's. Can they be called hawaiian? How about the totally white people who's parents and grand-parents and great-grand-parents have been living in the islands for over a hundred years? How about the people (choose any color you like) who have been living in the islands for about 25 years? Have they earned the right to be called hawaiians? I have a friend who has been there for just five years. She has embraced everything about the islands and feels at home. But she's not a hawaiian yet?

I moved to Texas to go to college and continued to live there for 25 years. I considered myself a Texan even though I wasn't born there.

You might assume that the poster with the name almost_hawaiian calls themself that because they intend to move to Hawaii soon. Give 'em a break, ok?

Bob

Last edited by SkyBob; 03-09-2009 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-10-2009, 02:32 PM

682 posts, read 2,795,483 times
But she's not a hawaiian yet?

Nope, nor will she be ever. She can be a local, but not Hawaiian. That has a very specific meaning.

But there are lots of places where you're not "____-ian" unless you're born there, at least as far as most people are concerned. There's a joke about an 80 year old guy who dies in the North End of Boston... a fixture in the neighborhood he's lived in since he was 4. And the eulogy starts with, "Although he wasn't from here..."

It is what it is. But if almost_hawaiian is moving here soon, it would be good to learn what the words mean and how not to offend.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:18 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,051,580 times
I heard a joke once about a New England state, where a newcomer to the area was chatting with a resident of the area and mentioned her kids were "____-ers" because they were born in the state. He replied with "If your cat has kittens in the oven will you call them biscuits?"

If you go back far enough, even the Hawaiians aren't Hawaiian, they are Polynesians who moved to Hawaii, aren't they? Before they arrived, there were supposed to be Micronesians here, although the story is they were somehow eradicated by the Polynesians. Whether on purpose or by attrition of some other type, the stories didn't mention but they do mention the remainders of the original inhabitants. Hence the stories of the Menehune. Or so they say.

Generally, though, in every day usage, the term "Hawaiian" means someone who is related somehow to the Polynesians who settled here ages ago. "Local" is everyone else who lives here although sometimes it refers to someone of mixed race as well, depends on the usage. English is a very imprecise language.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:42 PM

52 posts, read 203,977 times
OK, here is my two cents worth... I was born in Houston, TX; Both of my parents were born in Texas; All 4 of my grandparents were born in Texas; 5 of my 8 GreatGPs were born in TX (Other 3 GGPs born in TN, Ireland, Italy). If you ask me what I am, my answer is I am a Texan (or an American, or a Human being - if I am feeling frisky). But in regards to this subject I am a Texan. Not because of my parents, GPs or GGPs, but because I was born in Texas.

Yes, I am a direct decendant of people from from TN, Ireland, Italy, Germany & South Africa... Even from the Garden of Eden, if you share my beliefs... but, I am & always will be a Texan, even if I call Hawaii or another state home. I will always be an American, even if I someday call another country home.

However, no matter where I am from or where I end up, I will always try to treat all people as human beings & respect & hopefully learn to cherish their customs.

P.S. Just before hitting submit, I noticed at the top of screen this is the "How can anyone afford to live here(HI)" thread. Wow, if I have somehow posted this to the wrong thread, please forgive!

Old 03-10-2009, 05:55 PM

649 posts, read 3,445,527 times
Well, at the beginning of they year my son's school had an assembly. I don't know the exact topic or purpose, but I do know that a native Hawaiian fellow was speaking to the kids about something. Apparently (according to my sister, who was present as a teacher at the assembly), he started by asking the kids, "How many of you are Hawaiian?" A few hands went up. Then he said, "NO! You're ALL Hawaiian! Put your hands up, all of you!"

His point was that they all call this island their home, they all live in Hawaii, so they should all be proud to be "Hawaiians". (And they are all responsible for the island, the 'aina, and the future of Hawaii, which was I think where he was going with his talk.)

So opinions differ, even among some who no one would dispute are "Native Hawaiians".

Old 03-10-2009, 07:11 PM

263 posts, read 1,005,750 times
Oh, that man is deluded! He should have his citizenship revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
Well, at the beginning of they year my son's school had an assembly. I don't know the exact topic or purpose, but I do know that a native Hawaiian fellow was speaking to the kids about something. Apparently (according to my sister, who was present as a teacher at the assembly), he started by asking the kids, "How many of you are Hawaiian?" A few hands went up. Then he said, "NO! You're ALL Hawaiian! Put your hands up, all of you!"

His point was that they all call this island their home, they all live in Hawaii, so they should all be proud to be "Hawaiians". (And they are all responsible for the island, the 'aina, and the future of Hawaii, which was I think where he was going with his talk.)

So opinions differ, even among some who no one would dispute are "Native Hawaiians".

Old 03-11-2009, 08:26 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,185,715 times
Story - I moved years ago to Mt Rainier WA - multi generational old school mind set - I was a newbie. The local paper had a cartoon that I thought was great and will never foget - because it was the mind set.

A fly fisherman in fishing garb ( was supposed to be from CA) was asking an old man with a grey beard down to his waist holding a basket full of apples.

"How long does it take to become a local?" asked the flyguy..
The old man answers "Well I am third generation they almost accept me now!"

I always loved that cartoon - it in my experience is a matter of acceptance from "locals- natives-whatever label" and yourself to meld into the community.... In that town it only took me 3 years to be a local that was was hyper speed that didn't happen often. Dont live there now but when I go back the locals introduce me as a local to newbies that have been there over 10 years. But it was always respect to fit into the area vrs trying to change it, support the community and its people. It doesn't matter local or whatever - if you enjoy your life and respect others and their lives it will work out.

I have made friends in HI - one has lived there since 72 he doesn't call himself a Hawaiin.... is he local? who knows .... but he along with my newbie status have friends that are local, Hawaiians, and every other label you can find. But life is good. Make it an issue and it will be.

Sorry kinda off the thread but answering to the posts.... sometimes somebody new will affect your life in a way you never would have guessed for the better...... not always!!! Trust me! But sometimes........

Old 03-11-2009, 11:29 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,829,502 times
Well,
This is funny, since the header was asking about the affordability of living in HI. Anyway, I'm a "native" Californian. I remember when I was much younger and in my "High Fluentin" stage that I thought anyone not born in Los Angeles or California was truly unworthy of calling themselves a Californian. Thank God I've moved on from that unfortunate state of mind. I left California many years ago and have travelled and lived many places enjoying each one. I love Texas, but still consider myself a native Californian. I have good friends who have lived in Hawaii for many years, their children were born there and didn't leave the island until they went away for college. The adults still tie themselves to their original state while their children consider themselves Hawaiian. My youngest son was born in Hawaii and when we briefly moved away while he was five years old, he often mentioned that "he needed to get back to Hawaii because "my people are wondering where I am." I always loved that sentiment. He is now 22 years old and living in Texas near us; however, he plans on returning with with us this Summer. Well anyway this is my two to three cents worth - Thanks for reading
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii