Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 09:26 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,406,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I was looking at moving to Honolulu or Maui. Are they both very expensive? Easy to commute around? I can afford roughly $250-300K for a house/condo.

Well, have you ever been to either? Are you going to need employment or are you retired on a substantial income? Do you have good credit and 20% down for the purchase? (some good loans available now if you do) Or is this a cash purchase? (even better idea)

If you have never spent any time in Hawaii other than as a tourist for a few days, it's a good idea to plan a trip of a couple of weeks, and "pretend" to be a resident. Go to the grocery store, check out any services that you need, look at various neighborhoods at different times of the day and night. You can see all the listings on the public page of MLS. www.hawaiiinformation.com While I haven't looked at the Maui or Oahu pages in awhile, you might be able to buy a small condo on your budget.

Cost of living in Hawaii is quite high. Electricity for instance is around .46 a KW hour. But we have no heating and little AC needs if you have a home with good position for the breezes and live "up" around 1000 ft elevation. Obviously a lot of personal preference plays into this equation.

Medical care on Oahu is better than some of the neighboring islands. Do you have any special health concerns that need ongoing care?

Honolulu has fairly decent public transportation but if you don't live and go where "Da Bus" goes, you definitely need a vehicle.

Just a few things here for you to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 05:34 AM

134 posts, read 517,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui08 View Post
You made all of those adjustments to your life and you are not staying long term......? Why live here at all under those conditions in the first place if your only temporary? Let me guess....so you can say you lived in Hawaii.
If you'd read the beginning of my post, I said my husband is a contractor and got transferred out here to work on a project. Normally he just travels to whatever project he's on, but in this case the client would only pay for two week-long trips home during the year he'd be here. Luckily, we're at a place in our lives where I was able to come with him.

To be honest, I really wasn't thrilled about moving out here when I found out. I was freaked out about food prices, cost of living, not knowing my way around- but it's been three months and I totally love it. We didn't bring much more than our clothes with us, so we really don't have much stuff, but we're learning we really don't need it. Instead of going to the movies, we go hiking. We could never afford to live out here on our own, but I am so glad we had the chance to experience this.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:52 PM

838 posts, read 3,099,375 times
i dont get the hype about how expensive HI is. Seriously, compared to Iowa, yeah, Hi is expensive, big time. But compared to Chicago, its pretty much the same, and compared to Manhattan, HI is way cheaper!!

Old 01-07-2009, 04:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,122 times
Thumbs up Hawaii

I really would like to work in Hawaii, purely for the experience. I am from South Africa. Does anyone know what I can do to get myself a sponsorship. I have sent my resume to so many places and all of them have come back saying they dont do sponsors. Please if anyone knows of any way to help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 01-07-2009, 07:13 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,681,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
i dont get the hype about how expensive HI is. Seriously, compared to Iowa, yeah, Hi is expensive, big time. But compared to Chicago, its pretty much the same, and compared to Manhattan, HI is way cheaper!!
Everything is relative. It is extremely expensive to live in HI when you do not have the large salary you can get in Chicago or NY.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:38 AM

200 posts, read 1,022,146 times
Quote:
You have to be kidding, right? No place on the main land has grocery prices close to what they are in Hawaii. I have lived in NY for years and spent many in San Diego. Both very costly to live but not as high as Hawaii. I would say home prices are pretty comparable (apples to apples) and would stretch this to say that homes in Hawaii may even be cheaper on some levels. -Overall though....food, gas, vehicles, utilities are more expensive here. Getting these items here requires much more to ship due to the distance and therefore the inflated prices.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 AM

421 posts, read 2,535,309 times
Make love, not war!

Old 01-07-2009, 01:42 PM

850 posts, read 4,366,456 times
well, at one of the big island's farmers' markets, a vendor was selling 4 large papayas for $1.00. can't get that anywhere on o'ahu. it's more like $1/lb or more.

the latest news on the cost of living for o'ahu: the city will now need to upgrade their two wastewater plants at a tune of over $1 billion dollars (according to our mayor). you know who will pay for it.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:16 PM

838 posts, read 3,099,375 times
Really? How about a $6.99 a pound of asparagus, a $19.99 a pound of salmon, a $15.99 a pound of shrimp, a small box of sushi for $14? from any wholefoods store anywhere in mainland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui08 View Post
You have to be kidding, right? No place on the main land has grocery prices close to what they are in Hawaii. I have lived in NY for years and spent many in San Diego. Both very costly to live but not as high as Hawaii. I would say home prices are pretty comparable (apples to apples) and would stretch this to say that homes in Hawaii may even be cheaper on some levels. -Overall though....food, gas, vehicles, utilities are more expensive here. Getting these items here requires much more to ship due to the distance and therefore the inflated prices.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:05 PM

134 posts, read 517,086 times
Quote:
Really? How about a $6.99 a pound of asparagus, a $19.99 a pound of salmon, a $15.99 a pound of shrimp, a small box of sushi for $14? from any wholefoods store anywhere in mainland?
Yes, but you don't have to shop at Whole Foods. You have choices and other, cheaper grocery stores to shop at. Out here, there aren't as many choices (Foodland, Starmarket, and one or two others- there is no Super Walmart on Oahu) and while there are a couple of different stores, prices are all about the same.

Again, the point is that prices might be somewhat comparable, but the salaries are what make the difference. In New York, Chicago, etc, you have salaries adjusted for the cost of living. Here, you make a lot less than you would in a smaller, cheaper city on the mainland, but things are much more expensive. That's the point everyone is trying to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii