Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:39 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,577,701 times

Advertisements

I really doubt if the VOG has anything to do with your sons catching a cold,,,,,VOG, when it's really bad, can make your eyes water a bit, but, what the heck, it's all organic!!! Think perhaps your son may have caught a cold from someone else,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,try guess who????????????????

Aloha and okolemaluna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 12:37 PM

850 posts, read 4,365,835 times
Quote:
VlyRoadKid;6926306
Quote:
Can someone explain how the VOG affects you...and how seriously YOU take it, vs. the doctors? How about tourists--do they even KNOW about it? And finally, if you have to live with this, on and off, all your lives, how does THAT work?
of course we take the VOG seriously. when it's "heavy" residents are alerted. those who are sensitive and/or have breathing problems and/or sinus problems are told to stay indoors. i, for one, got a headache yesterday from the stuff. it comes and goes depending on the wind patterns.

hawai'i is a chain of volcanic islands--kilauea has been erupting since 1983, i believe (someone correct me if i'm wrong). emissions MIGHT be slowing down, but only madame pele knows the answer as to when and if it will stop. she is a very important entity in the hawaiian culture.

Quote:
I'm a bit worried, since my kid is coming home with a nasty cold---is it the VOG or just chance? I wanna be able to say, when he gets off that plane in Boston: "SEE? You run off to see your girlfriend in Oahu without doing any research and THIS is what you get!" Kids must learn about where they're going to...and where they've been!
refer to first paragraph. i'd reconsider saying anything of the sort to your son.

Quote:
If a Hawaiin kid came hom with.......[fill in the blanks with something you don't know about]...wouldn't YOU be wanting to know what's going on
of course. however, the VOG has been around for centuries. how/why someone wouldn't know about it is bewildering. that's like saying, "did you know that los angeles or some other major city has SMOG?" it's not a disease.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:32 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,405,865 times
A cold is a virus. He caught from someone, probably on the plane. Vog does adversely affect some people with a variety of symptoms, some merely annoying and some outright serious. Itchy eyes, nose, burning eyes, lethargy, sinus congestion/drainage (yucky, I know). Asthmatics or those with other respiratory problems are usually affected the worst.
It was absolutely GORGEOUS in Kailua Kona today! Wow! Bright blue skies, sharp shadows on the ground, sparkling waves! Tonight, the usual afternoon clouds that came over Hualalai have cleared and the stars are bright and I can see the moon peeking thru the trees in the east.
Thank you Pele! Bringing gin tomorrow!

Old 01-13-2009, 08:45 PM

not too bad in fern forest today and downtown hilo, too.

talked to a friend about an hour ago and they got the VOG in kailua, o'ahu.

i forgot to mention the other symptoms that you stated. and, don't forget, sometimes one can actually TASTE it.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:13 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
Yeah, there's vog along the Hamakua coast last night and this morning. Tastes nasty!

Old 01-15-2009, 05:40 PM

134 posts, read 517,053 times
I just get a lot of sinus pressure and a headache. Nothing two Benadryl Severe Allergy and Sinus (the blue ones) won't cure. Or a good saline nasal rinse.

Sort of like an allergy attack would be in other states.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:19 PM

i like using the saline rinse. if that doesn't work, then i resort to nasonex and maybe a couple advil.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:59 PM

649 posts, read 3,445,602 times
Or come on over to Kauai. Vog's not usually too bad over here. My mom has asthma and COPD and she's doing very well here. Notices a few symptoms occasionally, but not nearly as much as they get on BI or Oahu.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:01 PM

134 posts, read 517,053 times
Also, if you don't have a saline rinse kit, just go out surfing! Nature's saline rinse AND you get to ride some waves.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:30 PM

just make sure you don't go surfing in "dirty" water. you wouldn't want that up your nose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii