Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 09:24 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,830,124 times

Advertisements

AfroPhox, I hope you pay a visit before moving. I have lived off and on in Hawaii for over 10 years and loved it. I'll be moving back very soon. I am a black female, but the difference is that I am married. I was very involved with my Church, "City of Refuge" located in Waipahu. There were quite a few single black men there (Military mostly). There are several really good hairdressers, to include a couple of Beauty Supply Stores, Braiding shops and "Soul Food" Restaurants - if that's your thing. My sons in their early 20s seem to have no problem finding young women of any race (Black, Asian or Caucasion) to date; and that may be a problem for some but I think we all should keep our options open with regards to dating and friendships. I worked while there and didn't encounter some of the discrimanatory activities some have listed. Quite frankly, I don't think Black folks have the same issue that some of our Caucasion brothers and sisters seem to encounter be they real or perceived; don't get me wrong - we have our issues, but it appeared to me that Blacks on the island in general seemed to adapt well. As in anything you do, it is all in the attitude you bring to the game. I hope you do the best research on your own. Someone on another thread mentioned a book, "So you want to move to Hawaii," I believe that's the title, and it is a good book to read prior to a move here - I read it and it helped. All the best to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 9,086 times
MovingAloha,
I'm a 62 year old African American female. I've always wanted to move to Hawaii, I've visited 3 times ( a week each time). I feel I really don't know anything about daily life there, especially the lives of African Americans. I'm a retired teacher and would like to do part-time tutoring, attend a Christian church, and eventually find a compatible African American male mate. I'd only be able to afford a condo for around $150,000. I realize that housing is very expensive there. Could you comment to me on any or all of the things I've mentioned? Thanks.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:53 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,414,228 times
Thumbs up Where's the lotion...

Honey, everyone is dark over here. It's the pale folks that stand out.
See ya soon.
Koale

Old 07-16-2010, 06:39 PM

255 posts, read 882,528 times
Why do people have to stay within their race for dating?
What's wrong with a black woman datingh asian or hawaiin men? Who says that just because a black woman may be a minority in Hawaii, she should only seek other black men? I say We are all human, and all equal.
And variety is the spice of life.
If a black woman wants to live and experience hawaiin life, she should date whoever she pleases. Just as the black men do. Most men Enjoy a beautiful smart woman, regardless of race or color. Why should it be a big deal? We are all human.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:39 PM

388 posts, read 1,127,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
The majority of talk about discrimination and prejudice is from "white" people who are use to (often without realizing it) dishing it out, so when they are on the receiving end of it, they freak out, make a big deal about it, and can't stop talking about it.
That's not a racist statement.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:19 AM

515 posts, read 1,181,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermerci View Post
Why do people have to stay within their race for dating?
If there is one place in the country where inter-racial dating is common and unremarkable, it's hawaii. Growing up kama'aina and then moving to the mainland for school and work, it was a real shocker to see how much voluntary segregation exists on the mainland. It kinda feels like the rest of the country is a couple of generations behind hawaii in the race relations department. I think that mainlanders coming over bring a lot of that baggage with them and it is probably hard to let it go and adjust to the local ways.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:37 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,265,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
If there is one place in the country where inter-racial dating is common and unremarkable, it's hawaii. Growing up kama'aina and then moving to the mainland for school and work, it was a real shocker to see how much voluntary segregation exists on the mainland. It kinda feels like the rest of the country is a couple of generations behind hawaii in the race relations department. I think that mainlanders coming over bring a lot of that baggage with them and it is probably hard to let it go and adjust to the local ways.
"Voluntary segregation" exists in Hawai'i as well; however, its history and presentation are somewhat different than on the "mainland." Most folks on O'ahu know that Wai'anae has a high percentage of Native Hawaiians, Kalihi has a high percentage of Pilipinos, Hawai'i Kai has a high percentage of haoles, etc. There's a book that explores the subject in more detail entitled "Ethnicity and Inequality in Hawai'i" by Jonathan Y. Okamura.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:43 AM

255 posts, read 882,528 times
Im a racially mixed woman of hispanic/latin origins, and my son is white..and if I want to go to Hawaii and marry an Asian, Black, or White man, I will freely do so.
I dont see why anyone should put barriers on themselves for love/marriage or even dating..
We should all be free to like/love/date whoever we choose..
On several boards I read a lot of complaints from people who want to know what the 'dating scene' will be like, and will they be accepted. In my opinion, if they have to worry about it, then it's an issue.
Why not just move where you want, and ignore the ignorant people.
We will always have them with us.
Do as you feel.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:29 PM

81 posts, read 209,045 times
Lots of white dudes like black chicks too...

Old 07-19-2010, 02:56 AM

95 posts, read 296,504 times
From a 24 year kamaina Black male's perspective..... I have never heard so much b.s. from some of these posters. I have NEVER had a problem with any local person to the extent I would talk down Hawaii. Hawaii has no more racism than any where else on the mainland. Like some other posters have said, it the attitude "YOU" bring here that determines how you will make it here. I have met complete "local" strangers who treated me like I was a member of the family almost like my own. My best friend is Black, over 52 years old, born and raised here, so were his older brothers and sisters, graduated from Waipahu High back in the 70's.... There is a sizeable community of Blacks who have nothing to do with the military that live here. As to the Black females who think us Black males are trippin because we date who we want, that's our choice.....but to say we are full of ourselves just gives us another reason to by pass you... Why not use your time in HI to expand "your" horizons and increase your dating pool as well....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii