Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 04:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,462,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
If you're not a Black woman, how else are you getting this in-depth knowledge?
From the many black woman I know who say no, that is not their experience. When you have worked with thousands of people on the matter of their lives and their dreams, as I have, you have a perspective available that one cannot can get looking only from the vantage point of their own personal experience.

Quote:
You can live in whatever reality you create for yourself, but don't think for a second it's the same reality that I'm forced to live everyday without a choice.
And that's exactly my point, that you do have a choice in how you live, but you can't see it because you think reality IS a certain way, and can't yet recognize that it only SEEMS that way, because of the perspective you are looking from.

And this is a moment for you to be RIGHT, or to be INFORMED, one or the other. It doesn't affect the quality of my life, whichever you choose. But it definitely affects the quality of yours.

Sincerely,
OpenD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 02:11 PM

42 posts, read 113,514 times
You will have a great time here in school, and dating. It's the same for any color.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:59 PM

163 posts, read 269,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Black women are rarely sought after? Y'all never met me.
Like I said, there are exceptions to everything.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:54 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,675,842 times
Quote:
Like I said, there are exceptions to everything.
Sorry you feel the way you do, sister.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:03 PM

7 posts, read 25,262 times
I'm a 26 year old black women (not affiliated with military) and live in Ewa. I haven't experienced any racism and routinely get called sistah or auntie by neighbors. I'm not single so I can't speak to the dating aspect but see no reason why anyone would limit themselves to one pool. Get out there and have a good time! I'm from small town Indiana and feel very lucky to live in such a beautiful place. I've found if you respect people and have an open loving heart you will receive much of the same.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:00 PM

8 posts, read 21,157 times
First of all, the word popolo was adopted to mean "black" people. Popolo is a hawaiian medicinal shrub plant with very small berries that start off orange/reddish and turns black in color when ripe. In general, it is a relationship between the color of the skin and the color of the berry which is being used as a descriptor. It is not an "ugly" word. It is just a descriptor. Unfortunately, a lot of Hawaiian words are being battered and turned into "ugly" words because of how others construe its meaning. A popular one is "haole." Now it's considered a "bad" word and people speak the word privately and in hushed tones while looking around. Auwe, what is this place turning into!?

Another thing, nothing wrong with popolo wahines! I had 2 popolo girlfriends before; 1 here and 1 on the mainland (not at the same time). All good! Mo popolo da berry, da sweeta da juice!

Old 02-24-2011, 11:51 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,829,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohaku View Post
First of all, the word popolo was adopted to mean "black" people. Popolo is a hawaiian medicinal shrub plant with very small berries that start off orange/reddish and turns black in color when ripe. In general, it is a relationship between the color of the skin and the color of the berry which is being used as a descriptor. It is not an "ugly" word. It is just a descriptor. Unfortunately, a lot of Hawaiian words are being battered and turned into "ugly" words because of how others construe its meaning. A popular one is "haole." Now it's considered a "bad" word and people speak the word privately and in hushed tones while looking around. Auwe, what is this place turning into!?

Another thing, nothing wrong with popolo wahines! I had 2 popolo girlfriends before; 1 here and 1 on the mainland (not at the same time). All good! Mo popolo da berry, da sweeta da juice!

I like it! I'm enjoying life here and do not find probables here in the same abundance as on the mainland. I think for black women have a great opportunity to enjoy all that is offered socially here both inter racially and intra racially.
Enjoy this paradise on earth!

Old 03-03-2011, 01:54 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,462,187 times
Default A slightly different perspective

Interesting comment on this situation from real life...

I met a couple in the area last week at their pre-move sale. Been in rural Puna District 4 years, love it there, but they are pulling up stakes, moving to Northern Cali.

They are lovely people, open hearted and generous, and we felt comfortable with each other instantly. They are what our society calls a "mixed" couple in the sense that he has dark skin, Afro-American features, brown eyes, wears dreadlocks; while she is pale skinned, straight hair, blue eyes. Their kids are kind of an average of the two, and gorgeous.

Anyway, I was talking to him while looking at the property, and asked why they were leaving Hawai'i. And he told me that although he has worked fairly regularly in construction all along, his wife has been unable to earn much money here and the single income strain with mortgage, car payments and so on have worn them out.

His surprising comment was... "You know, it's really hard for white women here... they're pretty much on the bottom of the pile."

Is this different from your perspective? Discuss...

Old 07-09-2012, 10:14 AM

7 posts, read 10,777 times
Default This isto OpenD

I like your last story. I totally disagree with the other lady regarding Black women being on the bottom. With regard to dating sites, whenever I've been on there for a MONTH ALL I receive are emails from men of other races and I do not live in Hawaii. I'll add this (I'm sure this will play into her negative outlook of herself) I am lighter skinned, but a Black woman nonetheless.

I think Hawaii would be a wonderful place to live. I've looked at so many places to maybe move to, but Hawaii always comes back to the forefront. I can ask for advice forever, but the only way I'll know is to actually move there.

Again, I liked your story!

S

Old 07-09-2012, 01:52 PM

346 posts, read 968,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC1 View Post
I like your last story. I totally disagree with the other lady regarding Black women being on the bottom. With regard to dating sites, whenever I've been on there for a MONTH ALL I receive are emails from men of other races and I do not live in Hawaii. I'll add this (I'm sure this will play into her negative outlook of herself) I am lighter skinned, but a Black woman nonetheless.

I think Hawaii would be a wonderful place to live. I've looked at so many places to maybe move to, but Hawaii always comes back to the forefront. I can ask for advice forever, but the only way I'll know is to actually move there.

Again, I liked your story!

S

To be fair, the amount of e-mails that any woman gets on an online dating site will be very very high unless she is butt ugly :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii