Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:49 AM

406 posts, read 865,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehawk2254 View Post
Are you SERIOUS? My family and me was going to move there soon, to get a fresh start, but after reading all this, im not taking that chance at all.
Serious about which - the cannibals or the snakes?

Mickey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 10:11 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
When we lived in Hawaii in the 50s there were a lot of wild boars. I'm sure they have probably mostly disappeared by now but back in the 50s they were in the jungle areas. They are very aggressive critters. We'd encounter them on the high roads along the coast. I never saw a snake the entire 4 years we lived on Oahu. Sharks, yes, snakes, no.

I remember spiders, too, and centipedes. I got into a habit that I still have today of checking my shoes before putting them on.

The thing to remember is that most places on earth have critters. You just learn how to avoid them.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:43 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
The wild boars are still there and pretty tasty, too! Which is more than most folks can say about centipedes and spiders.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:04 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
The feral pig population is down, due to a lot of active hunting, but still are numerous in areas where there is a lot of forest cover. I'm right next to the Ola'a National Forest and there is plenty of hunting in there.

A few weeks ago I headed over to the community center to check the bulletin boards, and came across the end of a day of hunting... maybe a dozen teams competing for biggest sow or boar. Must have been 20 dead pigs on display. For prizes, winners got a big flashy trophy, and a pallet load of dog food.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 6,553 times
Born and raised here on Oahu in Pearl City, moved to Seattle for for twenty six years. I became disabled and moved back here because the weather there no longer agreed with my health.
Since I've been back it's been like coming back to a foreign country. I swear everything has changed and is different, the weather the ocean all the streams and little rivers are stinky and dirty (and I guess not safe to play in like when I was a kid). Of course I expected the population and people from else where to migrate here and people from here to move else where; and that's been kinda a shocker too. I mean now the mountains on the Waianae side of the Waianae range are now all green, it use to be always brown and grey and it's the same for Daimond Head and the Punch Bowl. In all the picture's you'll find of Daimond Head I have never seen it green, well it's green now. And although I was born and raised here I have never seen a cane spider till I moved in with my brother and his family in Ewa Beach.
There I had the pleasure of seeing my first very large black or dark brown spider (of which had put me in pannick mode) I hate spiders! Another fault Seattle had, a lot of spiders. Anyway now when I enter a room I scan the entire room before coming in.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 6,345 times
I'm probably too late but there are poisonous spiders in Hawaii. I believe there is one species of Hawaiian scorpion, the lesser brown(?) But it is small and non poisonous. However there are black widows, brown widows, and a recluse that reside there. I just checked because I would love to move out there after college is finished because it is so beautiful but I knew there would be some drawbacks. I'm hoping they aren't common though, especially on maui. Don't mind snakes or hogs though.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:27 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
I find posts about cannibals highly offensive and racist. I have cannibal ancestors, the Carib indians!

Old 08-31-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakawaka1 View Post
I'm probably too late but there are poisonous spiders in Hawaii. I believe there is one species of Hawaiian scorpion, the lesser brown(?) But it is small and non poisonous. However there are black widows, brown widows, and a recluse that reside there. I just checked because I would love to move out there after college is finished because it is so beautiful but I knew there would be some drawbacks. I'm hoping they aren't common though, especially on maui. Don't mind snakes or hogs though.
The dry areas do have centipedes but I've only seen one live one. Feral chickens seem to keep them in check.

Bugs are the lamest reason to not live in Hawaii. They aren't any worse than the continental US.

I haven't seen a single snake.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:50 PM

9 posts, read 17,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehawk2254 View Post
Are you SERIOUS? My family and me was going to move there soon, to get a fresh start, but after reading all this, im not taking that chance at all.

What??!! seriously.. ? What chance? anywhare you go is going to have some critters, its called Earth abundant with life, and we do share it, but compared to other places Hawaii is quite safe when it comes to dangerous, deadly creatures!!

Old 08-31-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Not to mention the nasty infections you can get from tiny scratches in the forest, because tropical weather keeps all kines microorganisms alive and well.

When I first arrived, I was ignorant of this and worked at clearing my property while wearing shorts. Within a week the tiny scratches on my legs turned into nasty rashes that took months to heal. On the Puna side especially, hydrogen peroxide and Neosporin are your friends. ANY scratch should be attended to.

Oh, yeah, and be sure to hang up wet clothes and towels to dry. Otherwise, they can mildew in no time.

Doesn't Hawai'i sound like fun!

BTW, the one native snake is small, shy, and non-poisonous. Chances are you will never see one. But little lizards (skinks, anoles, geckoes) are everywhere. Don't try to catch them in your hands. They'll nip you in self-defense.
I've never swum in fresh water in a rainforest and I don't ever plan to. I grew up on a tropical island and lived deep in the rainforest at one point. Letting that stuff get into your eyes, nose, mouth, scrapes, etc is just stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii