Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 05:13 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,093,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
i find posts about cannibals highly offensive and racist. I have cannibal ancestors, the carib indians!
:d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 06:30 AM

2 posts, read 4,665 times
I have seen scorpions but my cousin found a black widow. as far as centipedes go. theres alot of those here. I hate them.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:02 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,486,528 times
G'morning all!

Hope you're having a good one.

I'm not a fan of creepy crawlies or biting/stinging anything, but let's get real, there's nowhere on Earth that doesn't have a healthy compliment of insects - and there's a reason we call 'em bugs!

I think many people have gone soft since 95% of the populace of most 'civilized' nations made the move to city living in the early 1900s. Call me crazy, but I'd rather deal with a hundred-legged critter than a two-legged critter with an oozy any day!

Rats are probably second on my list of undesirable critters, second only to bats - they're both filthy, disease-carrying pests, and they have a penchant for invading human dwellings, but both species abound in the mountains and jungles of planet Earth, and I come from and love the mountains (and the ocean). The jungle is a whole other thread! http://stillthevision.truepath.com/images/emoticons/baby.gif (broken link)

Garter snakes are everywhere but they're harmless, shy, and terrified of humans. Most snakes are shy, even rattlers, it's only when you scare 'em that you get a stern warning and sometimes a nasty bite.

I'm not enamored with centipedes and millipedes, but they too can be found in most places on the planet, but they don't carry diseases and so I'm less hostile toward them.

Bedbugs I can definitely live without, but they abound in soooo many places, and their bites are memorable, especially since you're likely to be bitten multiple times, which is what usually alerts you to the invasion.

We live on a densely populated planet that is host to millions of species of living organisms, including bacteria and viruses, and just because we can't see them doesn't mean that they aren't there - they're everywhere!

I think the only sensible way to live is to find a place that brings peace to your spirit and accept that you'll be sharing 'your' space with other lifeforms, some of which are easier to take to than others.

Wet laundry will devolve into mildewed rags within forty-eight hours anywhere, unless, of course, you're crossing desert terrain, but most deserts have little to recommend them as permanent places to park oneself.

The pollution of the beaches around Hawai'i is unfortunately a global problem. Even in Northern Canada, where humans seldom venture, every single lake is now polluted and the fish living within their depths are unsafe to eat. In 1970, none of them were polluted and neither were most mountain lakes in the United States. 'We're doing it wrong,' folks. (Title of a book I wrote a few years back when we still had a shot at preventing what has now happened.) We can still do our best though, and I think we have to, and on that note, I can think of no more beautiful or pleasant a place than Hawai'i to hang one's hat.

DH and I hope to be capping ours in a remote and lovely spot on the BI before the New Year - God Willing.

Houses are supposed to be shelters - places to come in out of the elements, but we've made them more than that. We've dressed them up, draped them in finery, and have decided that they are 'home,' instead of just a part of the land we live upon, and far too many have no symbiotic relationship to their natural surroundings, which is why li'l critters, even helpful ones that keep the disease-carrying population under control, aren't welcome in our synthetic 'homes.' I'll say it again, We're Doing it Wrong, folks, and we're scared of all the wrong things.

Shalom Aleichem,

Mahrie. http://stillthevision.truepath.com/images/emoticons/angel3.gif (broken link)
P.S. The above-mentioned book is no longer in print - no point at this juncture, sadly....

Last edited by Mahrie; 09-11-2011 at 11:23 AM..

Old 10-26-2014, 09:21 PM

3 posts, read 3,598 times
Thanks for the Info very helpful !!!

Old 10-26-2014, 09:25 PM

3 posts, read 3,598 times
Thanks for the info very helpful, I hate snake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii