Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:21 PM

5 posts, read 52,754 times

Advertisements

I am Going to be Heading for Honokahau Harbor...I Like your Idea about nsailing all around Oahu and Molakai first~~~...So Far i cannot get any Friends that want to sail across in the Winter!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 09:28 PM

What If I just Dropped Straight South from Oahu for about 150 Miles and then tacked back in to the Big island whatever that would be...170 or so??...Would that be Better than trying to sail closer to the channel???? I am Grasping straws....I want to get My Boat off the Marine corp Base at least, So I can Practice...then maybe My balls Will be big enough to try it...Otherwise I guess I will sail around Oahu...and Maybe Molokai...Is that a bad Channel in the Winter???

Old 12-25-2011, 03:08 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Head for Keehi Lagoon, you can find mooring there and there's room to practice in protected waters. There's also a lot of boater folks around there to ask for advice and help. And there's the boat yard there if you need repairs. You can also get some temporary guest mooring at the Ala Wai for however long they allow transients. That's a fun harbor to hang out in. There will be more local knowledge there, too, so perhaps you can get some good advice on inter-island sailing. The weather isn't gonna be nice for the next week or so anyway, so just go for a short sail or two. The harbor entrance to Keehi is kinda long and narrow and usually up wind, so make sure your motor works.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:58 PM

Default Sailing IN between Islands

Thank you for the Feed Back....I am Still Sitting in Kona trying to Figure it out...That Sounds like a Good Idea too..I will Look into Keehi Lagoon...Mahalo...I am Also looking into What a Good sailer would charge me to take it Across the Alinuihaha Channel with me or For me!!!..I know Kona Waters and I want to Sail Every Day here...I am Just In the Dark as to Sailing around the Other Islands....But I will Learn Fast Huh!!!! thanks again

Old 01-07-2012, 02:09 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,499,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchan8168 View Post
Sail between the hawaiian islands.

I wanna do that!!! For like the past 20 years.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:31 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
If you're going towards Honokahau, you may not need to sail all that close to the Alenuihaha. From Kaneohe to Ala Wai is about the shortest first route. Unless you went to Heeia Kea, but I don't know if they have that much moorage. Anyway, Ala Wai should have room. Then perhaps to Keehi Lagoon if you need a longer term place to stay. Do any work necessary on the boat and then head off towards Manele bay on Lanai. From there, perhaps to Kawaihae and then from there to Honokahau. Although Honokahau and Kawaihae aren't that far apart.

Let folks know which route you plan to take and call and tell them when you leave so if you don't show up when you are supposed to, the Coast Guard can be notified.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:43 AM

I think that is a Good Idea...MAybe.. just go around MArina To marina..I Do have a Slip Reserved in AlaWai...that will give me Plenty of Time to Cruise around and Make sure its all good to Go!!...Thanks for your Input...Its Helpful for sure!!!!

Old 01-09-2012, 08:50 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,127,783 times
Have a great trip then.

I have sailed between Maui, Oahu, Moloki, Lanai and Kauai a quite few times. did the Transpac Doublehanded in 95 and have done 3 Hi to Ca deliverys. Hawaii sailing is challenging but the rewards are equal to the chalange. Make sure you and your boat are fit and pay attention to your navigation. Crossing between the Islands is not a big deal if you are used to some wind and waves it is approaching the harbor that gets interesting.

Once sailing with a friend on his enginless 40 foot crusier from Hanalei to Ali Wai we were tacking along the coast by Makaha in light wind not far from shore at about 1am. I was steering and suddenly I saw the waves peak up and felt the keel bump on the reef. Crash tacked and just missed being smashed on the reef :-0.

One Transpac a boat (Medicine Man?) was leading for almost the whole race only to hit the reef a few hundres yards from the finish.

GPS is almost cheating :-)

Greetings from Geramny
Marco

Old 02-17-2012, 12:40 AM

392 posts, read 807,485 times
How much time is needed for sail on 58 foot from Oahu to Kailua-kona Big Island?

Old 02-17-2012, 12:54 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,127,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrhunski View Post
How much time is needed for sail on 58 foot from Oahu to Kailua-kona Big Island?
160 NM or so, so between like 3 days for a Ferrocement slug and and mayby a half day for a Racing Multi. probably 20-24 hours for a normal cruser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii