Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 10:54 PM

8 posts, read 11,287 times

Advertisements

Aloha,
I have sailed from Honolulu to Manele bay on Lanai then to Lahaina and then back to Honolulu (via an overnight in Kaunakakai, Molokai), 4 times. It's usually a nice trip totaling about 32 hours under sail at around 5 knots.
I like to sail south from Diamond Head down the West side of Lanai keeping about 2 miles off the coast in order to keep some wind in my sails through the night (sometimes having to heave-to off Kaunolu village to wait for the dawn to enter Manele harbor (anchoring off the harbor breakwater is possible, but lumpy and you can drag anchor if the wind rises).
If you choose to sail between Molokai/Maui and Lanai you may find wind, and you may not find wind, depending mostly on time of day.
I have sailed once from Honolulu to Kailua Kona. I took about 46 hours, and was an adventure! The Molokai channel (at night) was fairly calm, the day-sail west of Lanai and Maui was easy...until we entered the Alinuihaha channel south of Maui. The wind piped up to around 30 knots and the seas got as high as 12 feet. We were on a 29 foot sloop and got drenched... even with a dodger and bimini! It was 10 hours of a miserable (and from what I have heard...normal) channel night. In a pouring rain we were almost hit by a tourist cruise ship (the VHF saved us). Around dawn we entered the wind-shadow of Mauna Kea, and had almost no wind all day, finally getting to Kona around dusk with a lot of engine time.
I have sailed around Oahu 3 times and strongly suggest that it be done counter-clockwise; the day-winds around Kaena point can prevent any progress in a small sailboat if you try to go clockwise. Have never sailed to Kauai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 03:18 PM

941 posts, read 1,968,674 times
Welcome to the forum, capnmike8, and thanks for sharing your experiences. It's an old thread, but the kind that's nice to keep adding to. I had forgotten that hotzcatz was a sailor too, among many talents it seems.

Coincidentally, since the thread was last revived in 2015, I have taken up sailing on Kauai as well. So far I haven't crossed any channels, but I'm hoping to crew on the Kauai Channel (Kaneohe-Nawiliwili) race one of these years and maybe go further someday. There are friendly races every Thursday organized by the Nawiliwili Yacht Club, so I've been learning the ropes (well, sheets and halyards) with those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii