Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:10 PM

7 posts, read 59,251 times

Advertisements

I would simply have to say Hawaii is probably not for you. Racism exists and is practiced by ALL races (including the Whites) in isolated cases no matter wherever you go.

If you study or read up a bit about history of Hawaii, you should not have much difficulty in understanding the REASONS for Anti-White sentiments in Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 02:56 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,030 times
Ignorance is never an excuse for your overt racism. To label an entire Race of people (Hawaiian) as "lazy, uneducated and thieves" is as bad as what you are claiming as YOUR experiences here.

I would most happily put my education, lifestyle and morals up against your own and I would wager that my own would by far surpass your own. I have multiple degrees, own our home (free and clear) here in Hawaii (where the housing is amongst the highest in the Nation) and are fortunately an intact family for over 24 years. We are also in our early forties. There are no illegal activities in our home as well as zero arrests in our extended family (at least on MY Hawaiian side- my husband's WHITE family has had several arrests as well as TWO nephews currently incarcerated).

Hmm? Perhaps I could draw my own conclusion that WHITE people are unmotivated, uneducated and THIEVES- but that is HARDLY the conclusion that I would ever draw. Why? Because PEOPLE vary and to paint an entire Race with such a broad brush is inherently WRONG.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:31 PM

My reply was to a poster who wrote extremely offensive thoughts towards Hawaiians. My last post now seems to just be a rant- but I promise it was merely in defense of Hawaii and her children!

Old 04-11-2009, 07:50 PM

77 posts, read 220,353 times
I'm Native Hawaiian, Japanese, and Irish and I live in Hawaii. I'm fine with everyone until they say something really ignorant, hateful, or when white people are all starry-eyed about the *&%$#@! Aloha spirit. Many Native Hawaiians have just as many issues with the Japanese as with Whites. I see their point and I'm part Japanese. My biggest suggestion would be this--be your white self. Don't try to act like a local, don't use Hawaiian words here and there, and don't act like your the authority on local stuff. Just be your mainland, white self and I can respect that.

I will say one more thing. A lot of white people sincerely think they're not racist, but they are or at very least they are ethnocentric. For example, white people think it's positive in general to be assertive, especially for women, and I've literally been yanked aside on the mainland when I wasn't aggressive enough in business. But guess what, that's not many Asians' or Hawaiians' culture. So, just keep it to yourself and you'll probably be fine. No one needs your all-knowing advice.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:02 PM

184 posts, read 658,501 times
Regarding racism toward white youth in Hawaii, my son spent a month near Honolulu in Dec. 08, visiting his girlfriend (whose family is Filipino-American). He was well-liked by the family and even taken aside by her older brother and told the guy liked him since he wasn't a braggart and showed respect (which is his nature).

But problems did occur outside the family, such as in malls or restaurants. Though my kid didn't notice (he's pretty spacey), his girlfriend often became very angry as she said he was "getting the stink-eye"! I wrote about it elsewhere on this forum and got landed all over, though I have no clue what the big deal was about stating the truth!

I'm just saying: he liked it there, had very few problems, but yes, there was racism and negative gestures toward him simply for being white and in [possibly] in the company of an Asian girl. This could happen anywhere, (and to any race) and obviously, Hawaii is no exception.

Last edited by VlyRoadKid; 04-13-2009 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: more information

Old 04-26-2009, 04:30 PM

16 posts, read 194,210 times
Hello, some interesting threads here. How are Black Americans accepted on Oahu in general? I retired military and might be moving there soon. My wife is white and one of our 3 kids is high school age.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:52 PM

39 posts, read 176,446 times
I've lived here for 3 years, my husband is military and I have a 14 yr old and a 10 yr old. I work in Honolulu, and i one of the ohenly 'white' people at my job. I also work with the public (Property Management office) on a daily basis. I deal with hundreds of residents from Oahu AND kauai, maui and the big island on a daily basis. I have never experienced any racism, at all.

It's bogus. It's an old wives tale. it's a story to scare children. Period.

My teenaged daughter is not only white in hawaii, she also attends school in wahiawa, where she is not only a minority, this school is also very poor.
She loves it. Fits right in. Never wants to leave.

The complaints I always hear from military people are usually from people who rarely interact with the community. They sit on post, and stare fearfully at the locals.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:29 PM

Thank you Jessica for your post. Of course there are some people who have racist feelings here, as in every place, but for people to worry so much is quite ridiculous. My point of view has been dismissed since I am Hawaiian (forget that I am married to a White man and have White children), my experiences do not count seeing as I have lived in various States where I am the minority (former Military and my hubby has just Retired last year) and have faced much racism from many people (not just White) who cannot quite figure out 'what' I am.

Aloha, Melanie

Old 02-26-2011, 02:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,992 times
I'm caucasian and have lived on Oahu for a few years. At first I liked it and wanted to think the best of people, that it was a friendly place and people didn't care what nationality you were. I'm sorry to say that it hasn't been my experience. I'm noticing almost on a daily basis how I am treated differently. I wouldn't describe it as coming from the people of native hawaiian ancenstry. They may have some resentments but they have not been overtly racist towards me. What I'm noticing is it's coming from asians, especially japanese people, many of whom I doubt are even legal citizens.

I can think of examples too numerous to list where I was looked down upon, treated poorly, given the stink eye, ridiculed within earshot, cut off in my car, etc and it wears on you. It doesn't matter if you are mild mannered or a bit outspoken, it happens no matter how you come across. My feeling is if there is any group of people here who have a legitimate beef it's the small segment of native hawaiians who have seen a radical influx of illegals take over this island. I know and met several illegals here through work and school. They fly under the radar quite easily. One of my friends refers to how they stick together, help one another and shut people outside of their race out call it 'the coconut network.' It's not easy for caucasians to find work when most of the tourist related businesses are looking for people who can speak japanese.

I was a little surprised at first that there were so few white americans living in HI, but now I know why. It's a subject people are too afraid to talk about here, and I doubt that will ever change. AZ pales in comparison to the illegal immigration problem in HI. It's very interesting to observe the politics here as well to see how the votes are won, based on what issues. Very interesting indeed.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:40 AM

404 posts, read 1,244,988 times
I'm Caucasian too! Funny how different individuals have such different experiences in Hawaii. I never had issues finding a job (and this was also during a recession period) in either the tourist industry or other fields, locally and mainland-owned. I did work contract, by choice, but once I "proved myself" which usually meant starting at the bottom of the totem pole (which I've had to do no matter where I've lived), put my nose to the grindstone, learned my job well and took it seriously, I was absolutely judged on ability, not race, and full-time employment offers started coming my way.

Who on earth "looked down" upon you? Did some creep give you stink-eye once? So what! Hawaii is no more immune to jerks than any other place. Oh, I did have one co-worker who was not friendly to me - she wasn't friendly to anyone - after getting to know her I learned her mother was dying of lupus and her family had a myriad of problems. So it wasn't "all about me" after all and once I got to know her, her sweet personality made its appearance. I remember her fondly after all these years. Sometimes I just believe people move to Hawaii assuming it's a perfect place with perfect people and they're disappointed when reality sets in - a reality that exists everywhere...good folks, bad folks, folks who are dealing with the same problems all humans have. I read on this forum a while back about someone who said she was "embarrassed" to be white - Wow! I never felt the need to apologize or be ashamed about who I was, never felt like I should speak pidgin or change my personality in order to "fit" or find acceptance when it wasn't natural for me as a haole from the mainland but I also didn't expect to be treated like a prima donna or expect everyone around me to be like me or necessarily even like me.

Coming from a large family with financial constraints served us well in the end. Did not have to "come down a notch", did not feel deprived when I didn't get to live a lifestyle like visitors who come for a week or two. We really learned to respect the few things we did have, knowing they were not easily replaceable on our budget. Entertainment was usually free - packing up a picnic and going to concerts in the park and taking advantage of all the wonderful things that Hawaii offers with no price tag attached was the norm; costly activities were special and usually reserved for when guests visited. I honestly wonder if some mainlanders who move there miss out on the very things that truly make Hawaii unique.

I do feel like I gained so much by getting to experience and live around different cultures and I will forever be grateful by having the opportunity to live in Hawaii.

Last edited by ohmanon; 02-26-2011 at 11:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii