Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 03:56 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,591,685 times

Advertisements

Kill a Haole day is no longer the real problem over here. The most dangerous situation these days is 'EAT a Haole Day!!" Don't ask me how I know, just google it.... Scary stuff.

Aloha and,, uuuurrrrpppp,,, scuze me,, okolemaluna...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 04:19 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,277,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSC74 View Post
Can anyone explain Kill a Haole Day?

Sound racist to me!

If you think it's fake or made up Google it "Kill a Haole Day"
"Kill Haole Day" (not "Kill a Haole Day") is pretty much a media creation like "Kick a Ginger Day." When I attended middle school of the Big Island during the late 1970s, "Kill Haole Day" was usually the last day of school before summer vacation and it provided an excuse for local kids to bully new students that had not adapted to life in Hawai'i. For some kids, every day was "Kill Haole Day," while other kids weren't bothered at all. At my middle school, we also had "Slap a J*p Day", "Choke a Moke Day", "Sink a Ch*nk Day", and "Trip a Flip Day", so no one was left out.

Unfortunately, the media portrayed "Kill Haole Day" as a local "tradition" when it was really limited to isolated incidents at a few schools. For the most part, "Kill Haole Day" (as well as the other ethnic-based "hazing" days) was simply an excuse for some students to act stupid and for others to ditch school -- it doesn't quite serve as evidence of widespread anti-haole sentiment.

Occasionally, a few misguided youth make attempts to revive "Kill Haole Day" and local filmmaker Laurie Arakaki even went as for as to make a movie about it...
Kill Haole Day Movie

Old 03-03-2011, 04:50 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,523,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Kill a Haole day is no longer the real problem over here. The most dangerous situation these days is 'EAT a Haole Day!!" Don't ask me how I know, just google it.... Scary stuff.

Aloha and,, uuuurrrrpppp,,, scuze me,, okolemaluna...
Ummmmmm... you sure it isn't "Smoke a Moke Day" you're thinking of? Don't ask me how I know, just google it.... Scary stuff.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:13 PM

64 posts, read 148,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
There are a number of military that are plain jerks. Transient to the Islands, they make for an easy target. I would not put military stickers on your car if you can help it. It just draws attention.

This is VERY true...Most military guys tend to act like a bunch of frat house jerks. Maybe not most but the only ones you notice are the ones who act like frat house jerks lol

Last edited by agita_san; 03-15-2011 at 05:27 PM..

Old 08-12-2011, 03:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,411 times
I lived in Hawaii for 6 years and had mostly wonderful experiences. Any bad news experiences came from typical folks that would have been that way perhaps anywhere they lived... However, we are considering moving back & I am concerned about my kids. My daughter is in HS and my son is in Middle school. When I was there, I didnt have much trouble until I was married and then it seemed that I was lumped into the "military" bunch.
My thought is that the outer islands arent as bad as Oahu since Oahu is much more typical "city" stuff.
???

Old 08-12-2011, 08:21 AM

5,530 posts, read 12,714,142 times
Not to sound rude, but why are you moving to Hawaii with kids in high school and middle school? And why would you consider the outer islands? Since you have lived in Hawaii before, you must know that the schools are poorly funded and most kids don't get a good education from the public schools. I would be more concerned about the education your kids would be getting than about the racism they will encounter.

Moving kids in high school and middle school is, in my opinion, not a good idea at all to anywhere, much less Hawaii. It is so hard getting pulled away from your friends and extracurricular activities. Why not wait a couple more years until they have both graduated?

Old 08-12-2011, 12:39 PM

19 posts, read 74,300 times
Everyone seems so torn up about racism, but the fact of the matter is, it exists. It's not a good thing, but it's also not going away. There is no easy way to avoid it, you sometimes become a target you sometimes don't. I think white people in particular are especially sensitive because they have never experienced their own behaviors turned back on them. There are racists, bigots, jerks and people itching to start fights everywhere. There is no hard fast rule on how to avoid these people. You either accept that or you don't.
Also-
In this day and age we treat children like they are small adults, but the fact is they aren't and that school is nothing like the real world. As much as we try to convince ourselves otherwise, school is a crazy place where people get singled out for reasons that make absolutely no sense. Worrying about your child getting beat up in Hawai'i, specifically, is pointless. Your child could be bullied or beat up at any school in the country, private schools included. I think the bigger concern would be how your child would take being ripped away from family and friends as they are getting to that age where their social network becomes the most important aspect of their lives (12+).

Old 08-12-2011, 06:32 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,462,658 times
People need to stop confusing kids being kids with racism. When I was in school in Trinidad I got called "white" a couple times because I'm lighter skinned than the 100% Indian and black kids. That's what kids do, make fun of differences. Not everything is a tragedy.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:33 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,462,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Not to sound rude, but why are you moving to Hawaii with kids in high school and middle school? And why would you consider the outer islands? Since you have lived in Hawaii before, you must know that the schools are poorly funded and most kids don't get a good education from the public schools. I would be more concerned about the education your kids would be getting than about the racism they will encounter.

Moving kids in high school and middle school is, in my opinion, not a good idea at all to anywhere, much less Hawaii. It is so hard getting pulled away from your friends and extracurricular activities. Why not wait a couple more years until they have both graduated?
This. Wait til the kids are out of grade school

Old 08-13-2011, 06:03 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,539,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlmac View Post
I lived in Hawaii for 6 years and had mostly wonderful experiences. Any bad news experiences came from typical folks that would have been that way perhaps anywhere they lived... However, we are considering moving back & I am concerned about my kids. My daughter is in HS and my son is in Middle school. When I was there, I didnt have much trouble until I was married and then it seemed that I was lumped into the "military" bunch.
My thought is that the outer islands arent as bad as Oahu since Oahu is much more typical "city" stuff.
???
My 2 cents...

Anyone that is seemingly concerned about racism should probably be asking why they really want to move here (or anywhere). The whole racism issue in Hawaii is so overblown, it is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii