Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 12:25 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,687,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
They will have to grow tough skin and will go through drama they would not have to face on the mainland.
They will go through a different set of drama but belive me, kids on the mainland has just as much drama in school. They just have drama that parents are more accepted as "normal". Look at the BULLY problem, for so long it was accepted as normal kids-will-be-kids all over the mainland, but now its being seen as a problem. This group against that group, cheerleaders versus tom bys, jocks versus geeks - its all the same wherever just on Hawaii where your from is more the picking point. But how do you think a kid from NYC is treated because of where they came from when they are in some ho-dunk texas school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 12:48 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creepers View Post
"Off the topic" question about your "access".....huh?? How does one work, on the base , or EXPECTED to show up, w/o access ? Even so, how do you have a work hour beginning PRIOR to any allowed location access? Very bizarre and impossible to believe that after ONE time of that, someone was not having a serious conversation.
If you don't stickers on your car, you have to go to the pass place and show a million pieces of id before they let you on base. Whereas if you have stickers, you show the gate guard your military id and are let onto base.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:49 PM

532 posts, read 1,270,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
They will go through a different set of drama but belive me, kids on the mainland has just as much drama in school. They just have drama that parents are more accepted as "normal". Look at the BULLY problem, for so long it was accepted as normal kids-will-be-kids all over the mainland, but now its being seen as a problem. This group against that group, cheerleaders versus tom bys, jocks versus geeks - its all the same wherever just on Hawaii where your from is more the picking point. But how do you think a kid from NYC is treated because of where they came from when they are in some ho-dunk texas school?
True mainland schools have bullying problems, and all the "clique" drama you speak of. My point is that all kids go through that, as a haole in Hawaii, kids have to go through that and the racial challenges, not instead of.

All teens regardless of where they live have challenges they have to work through. Some work through it better than others. Some look back on teenage years as some of their happiest, others some of their worst. My point is by adding more obstacles, such as racism, you're adding risk.

I want my teenage daughter to be happy, adjusted and focused to college and the next chapter in her life. I would be concerned putting her in a sub-par school, distracted by regular teenage stuff and worrying about her walk home from school because she looked at someone the wrong way. This is not to say that a white kid can't work through it and still be succesful, but I wouldn'y choose to put my kids in that situation.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:03 PM

270 posts, read 506,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikake View Post
If you don't stickers on your car, you have to go to the pass place and show a million pieces of id before they let you on base. Whereas if you have stickers, you show the gate guard your military id and are let onto base.

Sure, I fully realize that, and thank you, but the person "agita san" posted:

"What if you work on a military base? I work on pearl harbor and start everyday at 630 am but the pass/id place doesn't open till 7. So I would be atleast 45 minutes late to work everyday..."

That was the basis of my asking, since employment daily w/o an access and need to obtain one from an office that opened AFTER the/his, workday begins/begun, does NOT make any sense whatsoever. He states above, day begins 06:30AM, pass offices open at 07:00AM . Every location with repetitive civilian workers I have ever seen, had a process that fit the need.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:57 AM

270 posts, read 506,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creepers View Post
Sure, I fully realize that, and thank you, but the person "agita san" posted:

"What if you work on a military base? I work on pearl harbor and start everyday at 630 am but the pass/id place doesn't open till 7. So I would be atleast 45 minutes late to work everyday..."

That was the basis of my asking, since employment daily w/o an access and need to obtain one from an office that opened AFTER the/his, workday begins/begun, does NOT make any sense whatsoever. He states above, day begins 06:30AM, pass offices open at 07:00AM . Every location with repetitive civilian workers I have ever seen, had a process that fit the need.
Add this link which explains how the process can work for repeated entry by a worker:
JBPHH Pass and ID

Old 05-18-2014, 10:49 PM

1 posts, read 980 times
Kamehameha the Great, conquered the Hawaiian Islands, a long time before white people did, throughout history societies have conquered other societies, and no, that dues not make it right, but it’s time for the native people of Hawaii to grow up, and move on.

I don’t think its fair to be mad at whites for something all races people have and still do.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:20 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,759,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganfost View Post
Kamehameha the Great, conquered the Hawaiian Islands, a long time before white people did, throughout history societies have conquered other societies, and no, that dues not make it right, but it’s time for the native people of Hawaii to grow up, and move on.

I don’t think its fair to be mad at whites for something all races people have and still do.
And this is an example of not really understanding what the real issue is, majority of the hostilities has nothing to do with you being white. What it has to do with is ones attitudes and actions. By experience in Hawaii its assumed that majority of whites will have a superiority attitude, be arrogant, expect others to change for them or be competitive instead of cooperative. These attitudes are not limited to one race or people and anyone will get stink for it.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:23 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,817,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
...in Hawaii its assumed that majority of whites will have a superiority attitude, be arrogant, expect others to change for them or be competitive instead of cooperative.

racism |ˈrāˌsizəm|
noun
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
• prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief : a program to combat racism.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:32 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,759,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

racism |ˈrāˌsizəm|
noun
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
• prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief : a program to combat racism.
So if i said African Americans young males are more likely to die in gang related drive by shootings then other races am i being racist?

Further i didnt say all whites, please reread my post.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:40 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,817,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
...please reread my post.
I did read what you wrote and even quoted it.
When you "assume" a person will "have a superiority attitude, be arrogant, expect others to change for them or be competitive instead of cooperative" based only on the color of their skin, in my opinion that is racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii