Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:44 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,519,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsonr7288 View Post
One more thing does it rain alot on all the islands or just the Big Island? I like the rain it calms me!
The Big Island is amazing for the climate diversity that it contains. If you don't like the climate where you are at - drive a few miles and you should be in a different climate! There are arid, desert-like areas and tropical rain forest, with everything in-between also available to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 09:51 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
Quote:
Hello everyone! Me and my family are looking to relocate to Hawaii. I have done so much research online but would really love some local truth. My husband is a paramedic and I am a phlebotomist now but am getting ready to graduate with my degree in culinary management. We also have a three year old son. I would like to ask some questions and if you could answer them, honestly, I would be very grateful. We are looking into Honolulu because that seems to be where the medical feild is paying the most. But we are from the sticks of North Carolina and never really lived in a big city.

1. Do locals really not like whites?
It depends on the locals and it depends on the whites. Frequently folks from other places come over here with a huge sense of entitlement as well as advice on how we are doing everything wrong. Generally that doesn't go over well.

Quote:
2. I am from the south and country as a collard green is my accent going to be a problem?
No more so than any other mainland accent. A lot of people have English as their second language so they may not even recognize you have an accent since it all sounds strange to them. I did hear a trolley driver speaking Japanese with a southern accent once. That was a hoot.
Quote:
3. What does the average light bill run?
Figure around forty cents a kilowatt hour. So it will be much higher than you are used to. Folks generally don't use A/C units since electricity is so expensive.

Quote:
4. How much is average rent for a 2BR/1BA?
Dunno, but Craig's List may have some listings.

Quote:
5. Are the local markets cheaper to buy from?
There are farmer's markets which have good vegetables and buying things in Chinatown in downtown Honolulu is pretty reasonable. There are loads of little shops which have fresh vegetables, meats, fish and Asian foods.

Quote:
6. How are the school systems for childern?
Generally folks don't say nice things about the schools but I don't have kids in school so I don't really keep track.

Quote:
7. How is the crime rate?
Loads of theft, not too much violent crime but that has been on the rise lately.

Quote:
8. What types of activites do the locals have?
On Oahu, going to the beach, going to movies, shopping, visiting friends, clubs, etc. It is a city, there's loads to do. Something is always happening on Oahu, it isn't like the neighbor islands at all.

Quote:
9. Do most people have cars or rely on public transportation?
On Oahu a lot of people don't have cars, but on the other islands almost everyone has to have one.

Quote:
10. What would the average food bill run? I am a chef and can make something out of nothing!
Hard to say, it depends on how you shop and where you shop and how many people you are feeding.

Quote:
11. Are the walmart and target prices the same as main land?
Perhaps the question should be "does Oahu have a Target store?" I think they do, now, but I haven't a clue how the prices compare to the mainland. There will be a lot of chain restaurants and stores missing. Oahu has more of them than the outer islands, but even Oahu doesn't have all of them.

Quote:
12. Are jobs hard to come by?
Yes. Especially jobs that pay enough to live like you are probably used to.

Quote:
13. Which island is the most accepting? I know that the military can be rude.
Accepting of what? Oahu has the largest population and has some of just about everybody over there.

Quote:
14.We like to try to healthy and eat chicken, turkey, fish and fruits, are these easy and cheap to come by? Are there local markets where they are locally raised?
There aren't any more commercial egg farms in the state anymore, I don't think. There may be some locally raised chicken, but I'm not sure. There is a lot of grass fed beef shipped from the Big Island throughout the rest of the state. The last two dairies in the state are also on the Big Island. No locally raised turkey that I know of. Loads of fresh fish, lots of different fruits and vegetables. There are more farmer's markets these days, but frequently the vegetables at farmer's markets are shipped in from somewhere else. Chinatown has a lot of island grown produce.

Quote:
15. Is it easy to island hop? To see the volcanoes and green beaches?
Flying is about the only way to get inter-island. There was a ferry for a little while, but that died earlier this year. Airfare runs between $30 and $120 each way depending on how the airline wars are going. Then you still need to rent a car if you are going to any island other than Oahu.

Quote:
16. Should we bring as much or little as we can?
Bring just the necessities. The living space you will probably end up in will most likely be about a quarter of the size you are probably accustomed to. Pack up stuff in numbered boxes and store them with family or friends on the mainland. Then, later, when you want one of the boxes (this assumes you haven't lost the list of what's in each numbered box) you can call and ask them to send a specific box.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,527 times
Hawaii is great! But as far as the EMT/Paramedic thing goes it is vary hard to get reciprocity (can take months) its all about class hrs. Go to the state of Hawaii website and look for EMT-P equivalency form. Every job that requires a license or certification is harder to get then on the mainland. And remember the Hawaiian government likes it that way...

Old 05-06-2009, 12:28 AM

96 posts, read 620,179 times
Quote:
Hello everyone! Me and my family are looking to relocate to Hawaii. I have done so much research online but would really love some local truth. My husband is a paramedic and I am a phlebotomist now but am getting ready to graduate with my degree in culinary management. We also have a three year old son. I would like to ask some questions and if you could answer them, honestly, I would be very grateful. We are looking into Honolulu because that seems to be where the medical feild is paying the most. But we are from the sticks of North Carolina and never really lived in a big city.

2. I am from the south and country as a collard green is my accent going to be a problem?
10. What would the average food bill run? I am a chef and can make something out of nothing!
14.We like to try to healthy and eat chicken, turkey, fish and fruits, are these easy and cheap to come by? Are there local markets where they are locally raised?

I guess that will do for now, any other information that you could throw in would be grand. We are open to experence anything and are really looking forward to the aloha spirit! We want to raise our son in a place where he can see many cultures, meet all kinds of people and have the opportunity to see the most wonderous creations that good has made! He loves the water and marine life, I think that he is part fish! Where is else can you see volcanoes, then an hour later see snow on mountains, then surf in crystal blues water and snorkel to see sea turtles. We are young and want to work so we can live not live to work! Thanks for your help!!

Counting down,
Rebecca
first off i strongly recommend as will anyone on here who has lived in hawaii tell you to visit first before moving. moving is huge and hawaii is not for everyone. it can be very expensive not to mention stressful etc. to get up and move a family based on a postcard image of hawaii. it is not paradise for all. there are hardships to be faced and it will take adjusting to get used to our climate, culture, people and way of life. i will try to answer some of your questions...
1. sorry but this is ridiculous; no matter where you go in the world you WILL find racist people or those who don't like you based solely on your appearance, beliefs etc. Hawaii and the locals are no exception, however not all think or act the same. most have no problem with what race you are, as long as you are respectful of them, the culture and everything hawaii has to offer. educate yourself on the history and culture of hawaii a little bit before even visiting to have a better understanding of why some may have issues with mainlanders etc. i wouldn't worry about being white as long as you are polite and treat people with respect etc.
2. your accent will stick out no doubt. anyone who wasn't born and raised in hawaii will have a mainland accent of some kind. many know/speak pidgin (a type of hawaiian creole). even transplants who have lived in hawaii for years will stick out and some might think they are just tourists if they can't converse in pidgin. though it shouldn't be a problem again as with #1 some people will use the fact that you aren't a local born and raised against you while others could care less. the smaller communities/towns will obviously be more difficult to live in because you will standout even more whereas bigger towns or Honolulu will be easier as their are more people etc.
3/4 depend totally on the area you are living in and your lifestyle, im not from nor have i ever lived in Honolulu or on Oahu so I can't really helps with this sorry
5/11 not usually, sometimes farmers markets aren't bad but with this economy its tough, you will usually find better deals at walmart or costco. which are priced fairly close to mainland prices. we don't have a target yet on big island but will have one soon in kailua-kona. i think there are one or two on oahu that actually just opened this year and that's it in the state.
6/7 depends on area and if you want private or public. im not familiar again with oahu. big island has some good privates but again expensive or you have to have hawaiian blood. not all the public schools are bad. many complain about our education system yet it also depends on parents involvment and family life. i know people who went on to iv league schools while others never graduated high school. crime depends on area you are living in. it does exist especially now with bad economy. tourist areas are prime targets. smaller towns many people still leave doors unlocked to it all depends.
8 not sure what you are looking for here. you name it you can probably do it here. hiking, surfing, skiing, fishing, atv, skydiving, rowing, horseback riding, hunting, hanging out and just talk story at the beach etc. many outdoor activities and sports also depends on area, different islands offer differnt activities
9. most have cars, if you don't then it is more difficult to see most parts of whatever island you are living on. there are some public buses in more populated areas but i'd get a car if you plan to go anywhere those buses dont go. you don't want to have to pay for a pricey tourist tour just to go to the other side of the island
10 hard to say as it depends on size of family etc. it will be more expensive though than the mainland especially when you add to the fact that most jobs here pay less than they would on the mainland. smaller budget for food that was most likely shipped here for the mainland (making prices for groceries higher) is difficult for most but you can grow your own or shop smartly. just dont be surprised to pay twice as much for milk than you probably do now
12 YES the economy sucks and hawaii is hurting. we depend on tourism which is connected to many other jobs here than just hotels or airlines or rental car companies. locals are having difficulty finding jobs, many have to have more than one to support family and make car payements or rent or food etc. again this is why you must visit first, get a rental in an area you are interested in living and research prices for places, secure a job in writing before you move. the more luxery you want the more it will be especially in hawaii as things are more expensive because we are an island and majority of things must be shipped. gas is more expensive too
13 kinda impossible to answer, you will always find people who are accepting as well as those who aren't i cant make a guess or even educated choice without living on each island in each area to truly know what the regions are like. dont expect hawaii, its culture or people to change to fit what you want, you must adapt to things here. that is the biggest problem for those who arent accepted. usually it is because they want the locals to change or do things the way they do it on the mainland which is a big NO. i know many people who wouldnt want someone to come to their home and tell them to do things the way they do it somewhere else
14/15 yes to both. farmers markets all over but prices may not be the best. easy to go from island to island on a plane however can be expensive. sometimes Go! and Hawaiian airlines have deals. i went to maui a few weeks ago and paid $24 one way from big island (usually it is around $70 one way). honolulu to say kona or kahului maui aren't that expensive however going to lanai or molokai will be more expensive. if going from big island usually it can be more to go to another island (other than maui or oahu) as usually you have to fly through honolulu. but you can find deals, though expect to pay up to a couple hundred dollars for some trips
16. id bring as little as possible. again visit first put stuff in storage that you will need and dont think you can get here before moving everything. will save money especially if you find that hawaii isnt for you. again visiting and living here is very very differnt. also just because you visit hawaii for 2 weeks and fall in love doesnt mean you will be able to live here. id try renting for a few months and seeing if you can make it and actually feel right here etc. it can be expensive to ship things here. most of the stuff you can buy. if you have a car already paid off sometimes it can be worth it to ship though i think from california to honlulu it can be close to $1,000 to ship a car so take that into account. though if you buy a car here sometimes it is more than if you shipped your own car that you didnt have payments on over

Quote:
One more thing does it rain alot on all the islands or just the Big Island? I like the rain it calms me!
all our islands get rain, their will be wet sides of the island and drier sides, you can look at a geographical map on google earth or something to show how different it can be. hawaii is tropical so expect rain, however most of the time you can just drive to the other side and have sunny conditions. this is not true 100% of the time. Kauai is where you will have the most rain. the big island actually has 8 or so of 10 or something climate zones i cant remember right now sorry. anyways point is you can go from desert, to tropical forest, to snow cap mountain to an active volcano.

good luck please please visit first and do as much research as possible before you go as well as while youre there before deciding if hawaii is the right place for you. again it isnt for all and it is different to live here on a budget that is different than home. not to mention some people have culture shock and hate it while others love it and adapt well to the lifestyle

Old 05-06-2009, 02:58 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,128,504 times
I am married to a White man from Alabama and he manages to make himself understood (it did take him a while to understand some people- especially at a drive thru).

Racism exists everywhere- it really depends upon your attitudes as to how you will deal with it. For the most part it is 'live and let live' and we are so very interested in 'what a person is'- this seems to really upset a lot of White people from the mainland since they do not understand that it is an area of intense interest to us (interest NOT concern).

My White husband and sons have had no problems finding jobs and friends. Most people are very surprised to find out that I am local and that my children are Native Hawaiian (as well as a whole lot of other 'stuff').

Not everyone has an accent, nor do we all speak pidgin. I was born and raised here and have NEVER spoken pidgin- in fact I would sound absolutely ridiculous if I were to attempt to do so- it is simply not the way I was raised.

Prices for housing and crime rates depend upon where you choose to live. There are indeed areas of the Island (Oahu) where I would not choose to live- so some research based upon what you can afford and upon what you are expecting in a community. The community in which I live is safe although outside of our 'enclave' the rate rises sharply. Before we purchased we did call the local Police Dept and ordered a copy f the criminal stats- you make your own decision from there on.

I would certainly visit for an extended period before deciding upon such a major life decision. We were Military for over 23 years and as such we had no control over where we lived- you are not so restricted. It would be foolhardy to move without the proper preparation (while garnering info from a public board may prove interesting in the end it is only our opinions- they may not reflect you).

I do not quite understand your "you know that Military can be rude" comment...well any and everybody can be quite 'rude'. We have Served our Country (I too, am a VET) for over 30 years of combined Service and have NEVER behaved in an untoward manner in any of the areas that we have either traveled through or been Stationed. As with any group- there are those who tarnish the image but to make such a broad statement may not bode well for your attitude (and you worry how YOU and YOUR family will be perceived yet you are oh so willing to make pithy comments regarding those who give their all to protect this Nation???).

I do wish you the best of luck. I hope that you find what you are looking for. Hawaii can be an absolutely wonderful place to raise children (almost charmed for many), and the outlook here is generally welcoming and cheerful. It is important to do some serious research to find the place where you will 'fit' best. What some may consider to be 'good or decent' may not match your expectations at all. It is important that you and your family feel comfortable.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:33 AM

7 posts, read 12,467 times
I didn't mean to offend you by the military can be rude comment, I understand about serving the country my husband was in the USMC and served very proudly! I have lived on military bases and seen how the young men can be very rude and disruptive as I am sure that you have seen this to! Thank you and your husband for serving our country but I was speaking from experience, I was not assuming anything I have been there many times, in a line at the PX being harrassed by someone! Again if I offended you which I am sure I did please forgive me and again thank you for service to I country, I know all to well about sacrificing to serve our county with little respect so I would never intend to do that to someone else! I may not have been to war or enlisted but it's just as hard on the family they leave behind! Thanks again I hope you have a great day!

Old 05-06-2009, 09:40 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,128,504 times
I just thought it was a bit funny that you made such a sweeping statement yet were worried about how others would perceive you.

There have been incidents with rude SMs (usually payday weekend and at the Club or in places where drinking is occurring). I must say that I have very rarely run into rudeness anywhere on Post (other than the Club) as most SMs (and their children) are excruciatingly polite. My first husband was a Marine and I know that family members were treated with kid gloves (this was obviously a few decades ago- and I have not been around many Marines since then!).

I do thank you for your apology and I do know what you mean about spouses (I was a DW for quite a l-o-n-g time.

As I said- it really depends upon what you and your family are looking for so it s very important to actually see what you are getting into and to get a feel for each area (along with requesting crime stats). Every family is different and in the end OUR opinions will not matter so it would really help to be able to have an extended visit in order to find the right area (and Island) for your family.

Like I mentioned my hubby is White from Alabama and has not had any issues with either his accent nor his skin color (other than MY family teasing him mercilessly- but that is a "Portuguese" thing and a family thing so you would not be in the same boat. I do wish you the best- I was so very happy to Retire here after roaming the mainland (and Europe) for most of my adult life and many people absolutely love it here (many do not).

Old 05-06-2009, 10:09 AM

52 posts, read 203,981 times
Quote:
I will offer a little different perspective. I am an average white guy with a suthurn drawl & a long-island 'g', that I have never been able to break.

I just returned home from a two week trip to the BI. This was my first visit & I spent most of the time trying to make believe I was living as opposed to just visiting. After returning, I have made the decision to continue with my plans to move next month. The 2 biggest differences between myself and y'all is: I am a single & you are a family -AND- I do not plan on working for a year or so. I say this to explain that alot of your questions do not concern me or are different for me. But for #'s 1 & 2, I offer this:

I did figure out very quickly that the locals do like to talk. As long as the talking is sincere & not rushed. Actually, everyone that I met does not like to anything that is rushed. During my visit, I met alot of people from a variety of walks of life, and since I really was not ever in hurry, it was very simple to slow down and talk to people.

My belief is that the golden rule applies in the Islands moreso than anywhere else. If you are nice to people & live by their pace of life, they will be nice in return. I am good ole' southern boy & I am about to offend several, so all I can do is apologize in advance, but... In several conversations, the "Yankee" mentality was brought up, people in Hawaii do not care for it. The "as a visitor, I am a paying customer here" mentality came up, people in Hawaii do not care for it. The "wouldn't it be easier to do ..." mentality came up, people in Hawaii do not care for this.

I guess what I am trying to say, is that I know that I will never plan on running down to store for a quick trip, during halfitme of a football game to just grab a bag of chips, because the one other person in the store may chat it up with the only checkout person for a while. & I am okay with that, I will plan accordingly... Transfer this sentiment to all things in life & you will be okay, too.

Take a little to to smell the salt water & the flowers. Make the time to talk story. Enjoy life, don't just get through the day...

Also, as far as rent goes, I have seen many a ohana rentals (I am looking at just 1BR & BA) for well under $1000/mo with all utilities included.

Food: I cannot offer info on groceries, but as far as eating out: If you get away from the touristy areas, there are local diners where I had several meals just as cheap as here in Dallas. In the touristy areas, I would sometimes spend up to 2 1/2 times what I would normally spend.

Good luck with your decisions.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:54 AM

7 posts, read 12,467 times
Where where those rentals again? We are planning our week trip now to visit Honolulu, what airfaire did you use?

Old 05-07-2009, 12:40 PM

52 posts, read 203,981 times
Two sources that I have had some luck with: Craigslist.com & VRBO.com

You have to sort through them a bit, but you can find some things in each.

ON craigslist, go to Hawaii, then which ever island, then housing, then look under each of: "apts/housing", "rooms/shared" & "vacation rentals" in each category search for the city you are lolking at & just wade through it from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii