Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:39 PM

7 posts, read 12,494 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! Me and my family are looking to relocate to Hawaii. I have done so much research online but would really love some local truth. My husband is a paramedic and I am a phlebotomist now but am getting ready to graduate with my degree in culinary management. We also have a three year old son. I would like to ask some questions and if you could answer them, honestly, I would be very grateful. We are looking into Honolulu because that seems to be where the medical feild is paying the most. But we are from the sticks of North Carolina and never really lived in a big city.

1. Do locals really not like whites?
2. I am from the south and country as a collard green is my accent going to be a problem?
3. What does the average light bill run?
4. How much is average rent for a 2BR/1BA?
5. Are the local markets cheaper to buy from?
6. How are the school systems for childern?
7. How is the crime rate?
8. What types of activites do the locals have?
9. Do most people have cars or rely on public transportation?
10. What would the average food bill run? I am a chef and can make something out of nothing!
11. Are the walmart and target prices the same as main land?
12. Are jobs hard to come by?
13. Which island is the most accepting? I know that the military can be rude.
14.We like to try to healthy and eat chicken, turkey, fish and fruits, are these easy and cheap to come by? Are there local markets where they are locally raised?
15. Is it easy to island hop? To see the volcanoes and green beaches?
16. Should we bring as much or little as we can?

I guess that will do for now, any other information that you could throw in would be grand. We are open to experence anything and are really looking forward to the aloha spirit! We want to raise our son in a place where he can see many cultures, meet all kinds of people and have the opportunity to see the most wonderous creations that good has made! He loves the water and marine life, I think that he is part fish! Where is else can you see volcanoes, then an hour later see snow on mountains, then surf in crystal blues water and snorkel to see sea turtles. We are young and want to work so we can live not live to work! Thanks for your help!!

Counting down,
Rebecca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 02:55 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,599,168 times
Aloha,
I have lived from one side of this country to the other and have spent alot of time on the islands and plan on living there soon. it will be culture shock at first but if you adjust and be respectful to others and you will be fine.

As to the questions you asked the people on this forum are good at giving the right info that you will need they have helped me in my questions . Try to read some of the other threads of people moving to the islands this might make it easier for you

Good luck in your move

Old 05-05-2009, 03:31 PM

What was the biggest shock for you?

Old 05-05-2009, 04:00 PM

To be honest we havnt had a shock. I think its because we feel like were home no matter how long we get to visit as soon as were off the plane we are comfortable. we dont look like tourists nor act like the majority. ( I dont like to generalize but you can see them coming ) Its also the respect thing . We have friends that live on the island and some dont get treated as we do lol . Im not saying that you cant do the tourist stuff we do it all the time.
I hope this answeres your queston if not just ask

Old 05-05-2009, 04:10 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,904,675 times
Aloha from Maui!

You'll find lots of answers to your questions by just searching the forum using the drop-down menu at the top right of the screen. You can search keywords by thread or by post.

I'd also suggest visiting before you decide to move such a long way. Especially before moving to a large city like Honolulu if you've never lived in an urban area on the mainland. Even if you decide not to move, you'll never regret having been here.

Best of luck.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:17 PM

Sorry I was just rereading your post and I have a question. Have you been to Hawaii before?

Old 05-05-2009, 04:24 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,193,267 times
OK I will answer with not shocked but "OK that is differnt" nice differnt but not usual mainland

Walking into Walmart and hearing a live Hawaiian band..
Going into a bar and the live music starts at 6:30 and is over by 9pm - 9:30 bar closes...
Waiting for food to go and you realize your the only white person in the place
Go to Walmart to purchase a water filter and they tell you maybe next Tuesday they will be in stock
Try to figure out the reason for differnt prices of property taxes from one house to another- county
Everyone hugging and kissing you when you met
Rain - Again Rain --- now that is rain....
Vog --
Lava - ok I have lived most my life next to Mt Rainier and Mt St Helens - but lava.....houses built on it
HOVE
a whole enviroment changing within a couple of miles
blisters when you have to put mainland shoes back on
cars with trees growing out of them
Houses with jungle covering it
everyone so nice...friendly - helpful...
Jungle- didn't know that hosue plant did That!
hitch hikers and I pick them up!!
The high cost of eggs in store! the low cost of great food at market!
Great Food I never tasted before
Hard to find a good espresso - great Kona coffee - not espresso stands on every corner
Hilo parade trucks covered with palms
Saftey stickers - no saftey stickers or forms on the last day of month

just a few

Old 05-05-2009, 04:33 PM

LOL great post

What about the Kona parade with not 1 ...not 2.. but 3 count them 3 cement trucks!
and how often do you see someones fence growing?

Old 05-05-2009, 07:33 PM

No I have never been to Hawaii, but I have always wanted to go. Were saving now for the move, I know that alone is going to cost alot! Thank you all for the helpful advice! I was searching through other posts and alot of the questions I asked were not answered like are the markets cheaper, is living like the locals do the key? If it is excalty how do they live? What should I expect NOT to have in Hawaii? I know that visiting is the sure way to know these things but right now that is not an option with work and graduation coming up. I know myself and that I would like the surroundings. Thanks again you all have been so nice and helpful!

Rebecca

Old 05-05-2009, 07:34 PM

One more thing does it rain alot on all the islands or just the Big Island? I like the rain it calms me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii