Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 09:31 PM

682 posts, read 2,795,741 times

Advertisements

One thing to keep in mind is that lots of folks may not have a piano at home for practice. In fact, I don't know *anyone* who has a piano at home, and on the mainland I knew tons of people who did. I don't have kids, but I wouldn't sign mine up for music lessons where they couldn't practice in between. So you might do well to sell something like lessons plus pre-arranged practice time, if you could find a way to make the logistics work out. Otherwise, you might want to focus your advertising on the private schools and the wealthier neighborhoods with bigger houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 08:02 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,520,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that lots of folks may not have a piano at home for practice. In fact, I don't know *anyone* who has a piano at home, and on the mainland I knew tons of people who did. I don't have kids, but I wouldn't sign mine up for music lessons where they couldn't practice in between. So you might do well to sell something like lessons plus pre-arranged practice time, if you could find a way to make the logistics work out. Otherwise, you might want to focus your advertising on the private schools and the wealthier neighborhoods with bigger houses.
Good point. Maybe the termites eat the pianos?

Old 06-07-2009, 08:19 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,592,505 times
And the Cane spiders live inside

Old 06-07-2009, 09:25 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,520,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
And the Cane spiders live inside
That's funny!

Old 06-07-2009, 10:26 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,945,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit624 View Post
I know there is a lot of tourism stuff, but what sort of cultural attractions (opera, symphony, etc) does HI have? Is there a market for private music instructors, piano lessons, etc?
The Honolulu Symphony is EXCELLENT! We live half year in San Diego, and half on Oahu, and we far prefer the Honolulu Symphony. They also have a Symphony Pops.

Honolulu Symphony: Home

There is also Opera.

Hawaii Opera Theatre - Home

Many of the Symphony musicians teach, and there are youth music organizations. The Honolulu Boy Choir is excellent.

The Honolulu Boy Choir

I sing in the Sounds of Aloha Chorus.

Sounds of Aloha Chorus - Home

There is a lot going on in the Honolulu Music Scene:

Honolulu Music Examiner: Top-3 Honolulu music hotspots give variety of choices for weekend fun

Hank

Old 06-07-2009, 10:29 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,592,505 times
One more question ....

Can you teach the Geckos to play the piano?

Old 06-07-2009, 10:37 AM

263 posts, read 1,005,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that lots of folks may not have a piano at home for practice. In fact, I don't know *anyone* who has a piano at home, and on the mainland I knew tons of people who did.
Many years ago I bought an electronic keyboard from one of those big-box stores like Best Buy or Circuit City (don't remember which one) and it sounds good. You can make it sound like a piano, an organ, or any of a variety of musical instruments. The key response feels just fine, or maybe it was easy to get accustomed to it.

Are these things not popular? Are they looked down upon because they're not "real" pianos?

I do admit it doesn't have the full 88 keys but who really uses all of them anyway?

Bob

Last edited by SkyBob; 06-07-2009 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: always spelling

Old 06-07-2009, 01:34 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
I've seen a few pianos around here and there but most of them have been on islands other than Oahu. A friend has a pair of baby grands and an upright piano. Still, in Honolulu, there are a LOT more ukuleles than pianos.

If the music school was also an after-school or summer vacation kid care type service it might be well attended. There are a lot of working folks who are looking for things to keep their kids busy until they get off work.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:02 PM

209 posts, read 607,573 times
Hank, thanks for those links!

I'm looking to provide serious teaching to kids who are really interested and in areas where education is really valued. Where are the wealthier areas and private schools?

Old 06-08-2009, 10:25 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,945,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit624 View Post
I'm looking to provide serious teaching to kids who are really interested and in areas where education is really valued. Where are the wealthier areas and private schools?
The two most prominent private schools are Punahou and Iolani.

Here:

Punahou School, Honolulu, HI - Google Maps

and here:

Punahou School, Honolulu, HI - Google Maps

Whether those locations would be important to establishing a private "home" music teaching place is questionable, though. Punahou and Iolani are not "boarding" schools, but "Day Schools", and students there come from all over the island, usually in car pools.

If you want to know the more affluent areas of Oahu, you will get lots of opinions here.

Mine:
Kahala
Beachside Kalaheo in Kailua
East Oahu (Hawaii Kai, Mariners Ridge, etc.)
Diamond Head

Hank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii