Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:40 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times

Advertisements

If you like cold weather, why not try Alaska?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 04:42 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,268 times
the coldest is mauna kea, the hale pohaku is at 9,300 ft and it gets cold for anywhere up there. the coldest i have personally expirienced is around 0, but it gets much colder. then again, i'm still chilled on some nights in kona and sleep with blankets. on saddle road around 6,000 ft. i've had to scrape ice off of my windshield, and i know there are some houses out there (mostly ranch/farm houses) but i'm not sure what the actual tempurature would. not that i know for sure, but i think the coldest would be waimea and volcano on the big island.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:53 PM

6 posts, read 16,118 times
Kula is cool, and the elevation is high, but very lush and wet as well. You may enjoy Kamuela or also called Waimea on the Big Island, also fireplaces in those homes. It is drier than Kula on Maui. If I had money I would also build a house in either of those places, they are my favorite parts of both of those islands. Either way its win win

Old 04-20-2017, 10:47 AM

736 posts, read 484,858 times
I might go to Hawaii very soon. I hate super hot weather but want to see beautiful scenery.

A list of places where

Someone said "Waimea" on the Big Island as well as somewhere on Maui. I understand that the cooler spots in Hawaii are in the higher elevations.

Anywhere on Oahu?

I just want a place that is the 60's/70's in the day (real feel temp) and high 40's/low 50's at night.

Thank you very much.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:39 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
I might go to Hawaii very soon. I hate super hot weather but want to see beautiful scenery.

A list of places where

Someone said "Waimea" on the Big Island as well as somewhere on Maui. I understand that the cooler spots in Hawaii are in the higher elevations.

Anywhere on Oahu?

I just want a place that is the 60's/70's in the day (real feel temp) and high 40's/low 50's at night.

Thank you very much.
You mean "go to Hawaii" as in a vacation? You are looking for cool weather someplace that is known for sandy beaches and swaying palm trees?

This thread does have suggestions on both the Big Island and Maui. Specifically named places.

And, yes, the cooler spots are in the higher elevations. Hawaii is a tropical island, so very warm and humid at sea level. There are mountains in Hawaii, and temperature usually goes down about 4 degrees for every gain of 1,000 feet in elevation. The highest mountains on the Big Island are over 13,000 feet above sea level, so do your calculations.

You could choose to spend your vacation in Volcano Village on the Big Island, for example, where the average lows in the day are in the low 80s and at night are in the high 40s/low 50s. However, it does rain a lot there, so always feels cooler. Not much to do there, besides visiting Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, so I wouldn't suggest spending your whole vacation there.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:27 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehawaii View Post
Kula is cool, and the elevation is high, but very lush and wet as well. You may enjoy Kamuela or also called Waimea on the Big Island, also fireplaces in those homes. It is drier than Kula on Maui. If I had money I would also build a house in either of those places, they are my favorite parts of both of those islands. Either way its win win

Kula isn't lush, or wet. Wrong side of the mountain. Friend of mine built a house waaaaay up Copp Road, had a diesel burning heater unit installed. He used it, a lot.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:19 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,800 times
You could build for dirt cheap at the top of Oceanview on the Big Island (elevation around 5,000'). It stays nice and cool up there, days are often in the upper 50's lower 60's, nights get cold. Also, you could build pretty much any type of house you want and nobody would mind.
Then to stay warm you can don your tin-foil hat and look for black helicopters and UFO's.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:03 PM

736 posts, read 484,858 times
I don't like humid heat. But the beautiful of the islands seems beyond belief.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:19 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius View Post

For the purposes of this thread, I was thinking 30s and possibly 20s in the winter. I want to see snow at my "ski lodge"-style house at least a few times per year. Not sure if it's possible or not where even remote civilization is.
Nope, not possible in Hawaii except for summits of the high volcanoes.

As previously mentioned, high up on Haleakala, above Kula, or way up HOVE would probably be the the coolest places.

I'll second the statement that Kula is not lush and wet, but Volcano village on the Big Island is. I think it's rare for Volcano to reach 80, if it ever happens at all.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:15 AM

15 posts, read 54,321 times
I live in Portland, Or now but lived in Volcano for seven years. One cold night I let the wood stove run out of wood while we slept. In the morning it was 38 degrees outside and 42 degrees in the house. That was the exception not the rule but we also had no insulation in our walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii