Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 01:07 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,368 times

Advertisements

Yeaaa paperwork all good!!! Just need the flight and health certificate and be 70 lbs total!!!Crossing fingers! Count down begins two weeks!!! Dam I still have alot to do here!

Lauleahere&there Bummer you have to stay warm on the islands while he does the flight and drive with the dog!!!- Have always wanted to visit there - friends that lived there gave up and moved back to Alaska this summer. Hear it is wonderful! Good luck to you and all critter movers!

By the way anyone see on TV the other night cooling/heating crates that will regulate temps while flying? anyone seen/own one?? Prices sounded like close to regular cost. Mine will be fine but thought it was a good idea for real cold or hot conditions.

Duhh didn't print out this form just found on computer that I saved orginally. What a blonde moment with a jerk vet that didn't know what he doing! Here is a link for anyone like me Hawaii told me I didn't have to have health certificate done by him. Going back to my horse doc I know better.

http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/AQS-39.pdf

Last edited by nwcountrygal; 11-30-2009 at 01:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 01:19 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
By the way anyone see on TV the other night cooling/heating crates that will regulate temps while flying? anyone seen/own one?? Prices sounded like close to regular cost. Mine will be fine but thought it was a good idea for real cold or hot conditions.
Haven't seen that yet! my dog will only need ac... Hmm have to look into this.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:00 PM

It was on Animal planet the other night. A show called What pets want to have or something close. Only caught my attention at the end. It said it had a heating plate on bottom of crate not sure how the cooling worked. Set the temp on the outside and it regulated the temp inside the crate by outside temps I believe.

Any luck on the house Koa?

Old 11-30-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
It was on Animal planet the other night. A show called What pets want to have or something close. Only caught my attention at the end. It said it had a heating plate on bottom of crate not sure how the cooling worked. Set the temp on the outside and it regulated the temp inside the crate by outside temps I believe.

Any luck on the house Koa?

Aloha.
not yet but I just spent 3 hours with my realtor hannering out a new game plan I hope it works. but my wife ill fly out on Jan 3 to start work and the dog will go about 2-3 week later I'm thinking direct from the windy city to HNL. any thoughts?

Old 11-30-2009, 06:22 PM

292 posts, read 948,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Aloha.
not yet but I just spent 3 hours with my realtor hannering out a new game plan I hope it works. but my wife ill fly out on Jan 3 to start work and the dog will go about 2-3 week later I'm thinking direct from the windy city to HNL. any thoughts?
Does that mean you are driving to Chicago first? What airline?

Old 11-30-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise31 View Post
Does that mean you are driving to Chicago first? What airline?
Aloha Tortoise,

Well it looks like at this point I will drive to Chicago sent the pup on United direct to HNL then put the wife's car on a carrier and fly back to Roc.
It looks like United will fly my size dog with out someone being on the lane with her. if that don't work its to Newark (Cont.) I don't want to put my dog through a longer flight if I can help it. 7 hrs. verses 9 I know it dost sound like much but every hour the dog is stuffed in the little bos is an hour I / her suffer.
Any ideas?

Old 11-30-2009, 07:17 PM

292 posts, read 948,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Aloha Tortoise,

Well it looks like at this point I will drive to Chicago sent the pup on United direct to HNL then put the wife's car on a carrier and fly back to Roc.
It looks like United will fly my size dog with out someone being on the lane with her. if that don't work its to Newark (Cont.) I don't want to put my dog through a longer flight if I can help it. 7 hrs. verses 9 I know it dost sound like much but every hour the dog is stuffed in the little bos is an hour I / her suffer.
Any ideas?
Nope.
Every time I think I have one angle figured out about this move, something else pops into the picture. I am dealing with a bank, a loan, property inspection, appraisals, etc on the Kauai property, the fact that my house will not sell here in NY in this market. and on and on.
I just want to fast forward to the day I can sit back in Hawaii and all this will be a distant memory.
Some days I wonder why I am doing this..then I look around and I remember.
It is a Herculean task.. just know you are not alone in this.
I still think for me the Cont flight is the only way to go, I just have to get it together on the other end re what happens there over night..I am going to call quarantine tomorrow with a couple of questions...

Old 12-01-2009, 06:46 AM

Good luck with the flight decision. On another site - dont' know if this will be cut - PunaWeb people have said the direct into Kona is so much eaiser. Quote from them - Dr. Jenny saw the dog and it was released before baggage was out. Then again that means flying out of California from what I have seen. Said United had a 150lb limit. A few posters there said they were very happy with United from CA.

The time is the issue I am wondering but will find out. Again my pup has be crated in the past when I had to work really long hours. He has been in the crate (but not for over two years) unfourntaly up to 12 hours. I know he can do it. I have a two hour drive to airport.. let him out ? somewhere before getting there. Showing up early at airport to load him - 2hours? Flight to Honolulu 5hours - three hour layover- plus hour to Hilo..9 hours.. geezz poor guy. Apples and Oranged flying out of CA direct for me but price. You guys have even further to go. After all that maybe overnight in Honolulu would be the way to go to give them a break? Or fly into CA stay overnight to give a break then fly direct if you are flying with them. Then again there goes the cost. I am flying round trip with mine opposed to one way... so I am looking at both for the cost. Gosh I wish Alaska would start flying pets to Hawaii for me it would be much easier.

Koa - question as far as flying in Jan... airlines told me won't fly under 45degrees pet unless stated on the health certicate 20 degree to 100 degrees. Didn't clarify if that means under 20 degrees will they still fly pet being that doesn't happen too often in Seattle? Chicago gets colder? I would check that out.

Really hoping time will allow and I can find a place in Honolulu to let him out that remains to be seen.
Crossing fingers he will be good also. He is really a good dog but in back of the truck he likes to bark at people-- hopeing the crate he won't do this and freak people out at the airport. IF you go up to him he will just lic ya. Count down begins....14 days. Let you guys know how it goes in Honolulu. Crossing fingers for the scale!! Hawaiian airlines told me to wait to change to cargo two days before flight to see if he weighs with crate the 70lbs. Either way he is booked on the plane. It is just a difference of where I check him in and price.

Ohh Tortoise don't envy you selling, buying at the same time. Ouch. I looked at many houses last year in Hawaii and didn't pull the trigger with my houses in WA. Too afraid. Good for you having the guts!!! and stamina. Go onto Utube when you get down and have it remind you of your Aloha waiting for you!! With your pics!! Hope your tansactions in Hawaii go smoothly and good luck on the house in NY. One Idea I have for you is if need help flying dogs without you. I would be willing to help if dates work out and flying into Seattle works at all. Not that it looks like it would but any help I can do, I would be willing. Koa I would too but the dates don't work as I will be in Hawaii.

Good luck with the game plan Koa hope it works... working on my houses here also. Think I will put one up when I return in mid April. I just want to get rid of them - too funny always thought I wanted real estate! Now I can't get rid of it without paying too!

Last edited by nwcountrygal; 12-01-2009 at 07:07 AM..

Old 12-01-2009, 01:51 PM

Aloha nwcountrygal,

I understand about the flight time in the crate it is one of my biggest concerns I just cant find another way to do this unless I drive to the west coast which is one of my many plans. My wife came up to me after we came to the decision the she will be leaving before I will be able to due to her start date for work. She said the she would be lonely and could it be possible to sent the dog? this is why the drive to Chicago its a direct flight as is Newark . Newark is about 3 hours closer drive for me but Chicago is aa shorter flight.
As to the cold weather flight the pup is acclimated to -10 yes thats a - . and we will have a cert from the vet that she is.
Thank You for the good thoughts about the house

Old 12-02-2009, 01:18 PM

Thank you nwcountrygal for the offer!
I am running this idea through the what if computer and its giving us some good options.

As I sit here on the computer and not packing because my wife bought her plane tix today without me going with her. I'm trying to figure out if its woth driving to the west coast alone or to ship the car and fly from here? I know the dollar amount but its the convincing my wife that is the glitch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii