Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 08:15 PM

432 posts, read 1,202,630 times

Advertisements

Actually, of course, that's only partly the case, as those who have been in Hawai`i a long time know. One-mile-plus mauka, the ocean salt is nothing on cars compared to much-of-the-mainland winter road salt. I have sometimes borrowed a friend's 1980 Ford pickup and it runs fine and has no corrosion whatsoever. I've often remarked how many truly old cars (20-25+ years) are still on the road compared to how many such you see in most places on the mainland.

McDonalds' sausage biscuits are half the price of those along the I-680 corridor in the SF Bay Area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 10:09 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
mogon, that would be true of cars that NEVER went near the ocean and the resulting salt spray. How many cars do that on any of these islands? Also, in most of the more Northerly states, they do not use salt on the roads as salt doesn't work below about 26 degrees Fahrenheit.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:00 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,368 times
Socks way cheap - never buy! One pair will last me long time! Bought my swim suit last year for $4 at the farmers market. Went to Jungle Love for shorts in Pahoa $6 to $12 bucks for nice beach shorts and nice material shorts... cheaper than Walmart....and way better quaility. Almost all fruit and veggies and had the $5 21 pound turkey for Christmas... Let alone any get together everyone brings food- left overs for dayzzz.

Last edited by nwcountrygal; 12-29-2009 at 01:41 AM..

Old 12-29-2009, 01:50 AM

155 posts, read 544,731 times
Socks way cheap - never buy! One pair will last me long time!
Laughed out loud !!!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:25 AM

28 posts, read 99,047 times
Compared to NY, property taxes. Looking forward to no heating,
and of course no socks!

Old 01-08-2010, 02:49 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresdo View Post
There is only one thing I have come across that is cheaper here then the Mainland and that is the price for a ticket to the movies. On Kauai there is only one theater with 4 screens and ticket costs are $5 each for first showings and $8 for later. Kids tickets are $5 all day. I believe tickets in Los Angeles before I left 16 months ago where in the $12 range.
You know, on Kauai, the single screen theater in Waimea and the single screen theater in Kilauea are priced about the same as the multple screen theater in Lihue. The prices at the double screen Marketplace Place Theater are competitive as well (in Wailua). The Lihue theater is centerally accessed and convenient for many people. It is the popcorn, candy and soda that costs, but with my family, is a manditory expense when going to the movies. I like going to the Marketplace locaton so I can cruise the shops before going up to the movie. They shut down the Hanapepe Theater "years" ago. That's where we would go to watch all the Chinese Kung Fu movies. They sold shave ice and stuff outside before going in and of course the inside of the theater could smell like a still which could result in another show sometimes. Excuse the digression. Now days, when going to the movies, they can smell me coming (it's the popcorn) so I must buy everything inside.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:11 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,368 times
Whale watching from the shore ... in Washington hardly ever can do that. Here free! Today was amazing on the east side. Avacodos Wow got three today for 1.50 and they don't taste like dirt and way bigger. Pork butt today 1.59lbs. mouchi....

Old 01-11-2010, 06:44 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Whale watching from the shore ... in Washington hardly ever can do that. Here free! Today was amazing on the east side. Avacodos Wow got three today for 1.50 and they don't taste like dirt and way bigger. Pork butt today 1.59lbs. mouchi....

Yes papayas 6 for a buck her their $3.69 lb avocados $1.50 I won't re quote that price here.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:52 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Hmm cheaper? limes,avocados, fish, pineapples,........

How far can we take this???

The beach is cheaper you don't pay or parking like in Cali or most plces for that matter.

Mangos!

what else?
Those things are way more expensive than they are in Texas. I miss seafood

Old 11-16-2011, 04:23 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,663 times
tyvin, Kilauea Theatre and Marketplace Cinema have been closed for several years now. Yes, tickets are cheaper than on the mainland, but theatre isn't as fancy, and no 3D here. Plus you don't get first-run movies on opening day all the time, so comparison isn't quite fair. Don't get me wrong, that's how I prefer it, cheap, simple, no-hype, and friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii