Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:55 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times

Advertisements

Google "WWOOF Hawaii" and see if it looks interesting. They give you crash space and some sort of rudimentary food in exchange for several hours of farm work a day. Each one is different, some are almost a scam, others are really lovely. It would be a cheap place to stay and you'd meet other people and if it didn't work out, you could look for somewhere else.

Hostels are a good way to stay somewhere inexpensively as well as meet other people. However, I'd not recommend that book. Folks have taken to calling it "Big Island Reviled" since there is so much wrong stuff in the book. The writer had a very poor attitude. He tells people to go places they shouldn't and many popular trails and such are now closed because that book recommended folks go into private lands. Where it was okay for one or two people known to the landowner to go through the gate and across the pasture, having carloads of tourists show up, park rental cars all over, leave the gate open, etc., it just got to where many places are now completely closed with locked gates where before there was tacit permission.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:31 AM

739 posts, read 1,847,735 times
Bug, first let me send you a cyber hug. It sounds like you need one.
Second, let me say I've never even been to HI but it is an imminent goal. We lived in the Bahamas for four years so I know a bit about island/tropical living.
Third, I am from NY and hear you loud and clear!

You seem depressed and with good reason. It might be a good idea to address that before making any major life-changing decisions. What I'd advise is that you find someone professional to talk to. Also, find a Y or an otherwise inexpensive place to join a gym. Even if you just go for a jump in the pool and to sit under the bright lights, you'll be doing something good for yourself physically as well as mentally.

While you're doing these things, take a good look at your options outside of the NY area. HI sounds so fabulous and I can't wait to visit but a move there could be pretty drastic. Check out the job scene. Being an exterminator in a place with so many critters should be a plus. You'd have to move yourself to wherever you choose, but if there was a chance of employment in a place you think you'd like, it would be worth it.

Don't drink your way through this. Alcohol in excess will only make you feel worse. When the sun is out, even if it's frickin' freezin', you get out too. Go for a walk for maybe twenty minutes, come home and have some hot tea. Relax, do some research and fix your head before fixing your address. Take a long, hot bath. Light some candles. Sounds trite but you need to make yourself feel better before setting foot on an airplane.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:37 PM

68 posts, read 245,160 times
Really there are more single women than single guys in Arizona??? How come I find out stuff like this AFTER Im married...?

Old 01-07-2010, 10:13 PM

68 posts, read 245,160 times
Hey Bug. Hang in there. Im from Michigan and I know how cold n dark winters can get you depressed even when everything else is OK. One good thing is youre still young and without a family to support youre not as tied down and have the freedom to make some changes. You still have the time to move somewhere else and build a whole new life there. Who knows you could be one of those people who, when they get to Hawaii just know "this is where I belong". There are a lot of good tips in these responses. There are travel sites that you can join that will notify you when a good fare comes up to whatever destination you want. If youre able to travel on short notice you might get a good deal. As far as Islands, Kauai is my favorite because the beauty there is MAGICAL. And the Big Island has enough different climates to satisfy anyone. Plus since its bigger the land (and homes) are cheaper. Being an exterminator would seem to be a good job for Hawaii (esp if youre experienced with termites). Check with the state when you get to Hawaii, your NY certification might save you from having to take any tests there. Good Luck.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:07 PM

85 posts, read 315,183 times
I know right!? I love the whole area of pest control and i can just imagine how exciting it must be to battle bugs in Hawaii.... Next level I'm sure lol.... I've decided to take a vacation of my dreams and visit Hawaii. I really wana visit Kauai, yet also really wana visit the Big Island for living and how it is their. Do you guy's think I'm gona need the added expense of a travel agent or if I do my research I should be able to find an area were they offer snorkling, scuba diving and hiking? I"m all about horticulture and flowers, landscaping and gardens, love the water and never get tired of it. I"m a good body boarder and water skier as well and would like to go to a place in hawaii that has local places that offer these services. I"m hoping that I recieve my unemployment soon... My X boss is being bad about it, yet I think I"m gona get it. I"m gona pay 2 months rent and take a trip to Hawaii.... end of story...!!! Can't wait.....

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-13-2010 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: please watch your language. thanks.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:16 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,245 times
From what you describe it sounds like you would love the Big Isand. Look online for hostels on the Kona side. Call and see if you need to go on a waiting list. I love the cyber hug thing - so please have one from me.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:57 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,613 times
Good for you Bug!!! Dip your toe in the water first!!!

Here is a great site for pics and getting a feeling for the BI. http://bigadventures123.com/

After this forum and I found the Virtual Vacation on this site I was headed to the BI alone! Over 2000 photos of the island and climates. I did get the Blue Book and it did help me being I had never been here - sorry guys. And went around the island over and over over. You can stay cheap at vacation rentals also, hostels, car rental will be spendy. You would love the Botanical Gardens just north of Hilo. I spent 5 hours their the first time- tons of pics.

I came for two weeks, turned into a month. Came back in two weeks.. pretty much spent entire winter and back again for this winter. Luckily I am able to do this. Once your ticket, room and car is paid for you can live pretty cheap. Food at the farmers markets, cook at home or there are cheap plate lunches to eat at.

Beaches are free as tide pools (most) and plenty to do. Two weeks wasn't enough for me the first time and I put thousands of miles on the vehicle in a month. Driving everywhere I could.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:19 PM

292 posts, read 948,548 times
Good for you! I heartily suggest Kauai, the Garden Isle. AND since I have termites, I see already see a need for exterminators !!!! Enjoy .

Old 01-13-2010, 06:36 PM

85 posts, read 315,183 times
AFter spending a hr looking at bigadventure123.com, man..... what a place!!!! If I were to go single to hawaii, you guy's feel the big island would fit me the best? I"m really more into the land/water/beach than the night life and city atmosphere. I will probably be going alone, yet I"m gona ask around.

I just looked up a bunch of vacation estimates and I can get a great deal for $1300.00 including airfare, hotels, taxes, fees staying in a decent hotel or motel for I defenatly do not need a 5 star hyatt.

THe only thing I"m stuck on right now is deciding which island to visit and were on the island would be best to stay... Tortoise, if you do have termites I would check out craigslist.org and search for exterminators in your area. I checked it already looking for work, seems like most exterminators in your area are very nice and very welcoming with fair prices. I know having termite stations installed around the exterior of the structure is a very effective way of eliminating termites without having to pump pesticides deep into the ground. Hope all works out for you Toroise31, good luck, if you have any questions regarding termites send over a pm and Ill answer them for you!!

Old 01-13-2010, 10:35 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,613 times
Glad you liked that site ... amazing the pics he has of the island. I saw him selling hotdogs here in Puna at the warm pond. I went up to him and said here take this $10 for a tip. He was confused try to give me food/ drink ... I said no this is for your website. I wouldn't be over here if it wasn't for it. Please take it. He turned all red and said no one has tipped me for my website. Confused on what to do. Nice guy. He kept the tip.

Not sure what island suit you best but BI is amazing. Go where you are called too. I can't say anything about the outer islands, Honolulu is Seattle on on beach in 1970 in my opinion but each to there own.

BI isn't gonna have the night life of Honolulu. If that isn't what your looking for ... then? Not. Space wild climate changes... it is here.

Not sure where you got that estimate or for which island. Today I got a email sent of Hawiaiin airlines from Seattle to BI for $288 if booked by the 19th till beginning of March round trip. Should also be cheap flights from other destinations. It had to be booked by the 19th though.

Again will say don't let the vacation and blissfullness take away from the realities of living here. Check out jobs let it be real vrs spending all the time as as tourist because it can be very differnt from vacation. Check out the SLN skit Aloha Hard or Hawaiian Hotel it is reallly real. Don't move here without enough to move back on is a reality and being stuck on a rock in the middle of ocean is very differnt than being stuck on the mainland. Really take that to heart.

AS far as coming to BI I would skip the booking of a hotel or place unless screaming deal. Most places are under occupied. Why rope yourself into a place more than a night or two without checking it out. Unless during Merrie Monarch again in April.

If you want Kona there is some cheap on the water places in the paper now. Can find you cheap places in Puna also.

AS far as which island each person will have their own opinion on what they love. I wouldn't come to the BI if you are only going to book a week. Not enough time for the size. You would be running around and exhausted without relaxing.

How long you gonna stay???Remember car rentals gonna cost you. Cheaper now days after holidays. If coming to BI it will be expensive again in April during Merrie Monarch and have to book rentals. Hitch Hiking is common here and people do pick up them but if here a short time.... Try also to check out the WWOOF programs here on islands if you really want to move/stay cheap.

Last edited by nwcountrygal; 01-13-2010 at 10:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii