Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:00 PM

4 posts, read 14,090 times

Advertisements

I couldn't find a HI fishing forum. In San Diego there were several good ones. I think it's because the fish in Hawaii is almost fished out. We need more help from Fish and Game! Yeah I know more government but the fishery here could really us some management!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 01:30 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
I doubt you'd get many fisherfolk posting on your forum if you started one. I'm not telling anyone my favorite fishing spots and I doubt anyone else will either. It doesn't take much to fish out a spot so why mention it online where people you don't know will see it?

There is also a sort of unstated code that says folks from the area are the ones allowed to fish in that area. If I were to go to a remote area without asking the folks there and just started fishing it would be considered rude. Going to a public area is different but most of the coastline is privately owned. Actually, most of the coastline where I live is about three hundred feet high, so ocean access is extremely limited. I'm sure that adds to the lack of folks wanting to share their fishing spot.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:34 PM

229 posts, read 929,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
...about a lifetime...
Consider this. How many "born here" people participate on this forum compared to everyone else? 2%, maybe? How about you? Your profile says New YorK.
The Southern folk have a saying:

"Jus' because the cat had kittens in the oven, don't mean we call 'em biscuits." My guess: three generations, minimum.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:28 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Maybe never. I was chatting with a friend about this today. He's born here, his parents were born here, his grandparents were born here. He even has some Hawaiian blood in him, however, he's also Portuguese, Japanese, Chinese and Filipino. He primarily looks Portuguese and he speaks heavy pidgin yet he's not Hawaiian. He's local, but not Hawaiian. You are only Hawaiian if you have enough of the blood and you are local when the other locals say you are is my take on the matter.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:25 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,869 times
My friend has fished here since the 70's. He doesn't do it so much anymore. Always complaining about in the old days so many more fish. I know he wouldn't share with a stranger any spot. He would share fishing ideas.. somewhat but to go online and do it no.

One of his room mates from years ago is in Jim's book for making lures. Jim didn't have the full idea of how but guessed on how he made them ... but didn't get it right. Again I agree as a newbie fisherperson and him as a person fishing since 70's Jims books are priceless and you will get more information for them than trying to get it out of other fisherman. Good luck!

Old 02-15-2010, 02:03 AM

263 posts, read 1,005,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
How about you? Your profile says New YorK.
Yes, I am in New York. I'm not sure how that is relevant though. I don't get the point you're trying to make.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:41 AM

41 posts, read 91,719 times
bloodydecks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: