Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 10:35 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,556 times

Advertisements

Reading some of your descriptions of "Aloha Spirit" I'd like to say I've felt it in places like New York City, Huntsville Alabama and Tucson Arizona.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 11:00 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,146 times
We're originally from the south, and we often feel there's an apt comparison between "southern hospitality" and the concepts of aloha and ho'okipa here.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:29 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,627 times
I would say here on Kauai it is...maybe not so much Oahu?

Old 02-05-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
I would say here on Kauai it is...maybe not so much Oahu?
I live on Kauai too and say it most definately is not.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:30 PM

69 posts, read 235,641 times
Funny how 2 people who are both on Kauai can see it differently. "Aloha" however you see it is one of the main considerations for me choosing either Oahu or Kauai for relocation.

I have to say that when I have called many businesses on both islands to see about getting cars serviced, availability of foods, etc, I hear the Aloha spirit. Without exception when I call people on Kauai they go out of their way to be friendly and engage in conversation ("talk story") - something that is VERY different than calling most mainland stores. I notice aloha on Oahu also but a bit more on Kauai (I have been to both as well).

Old 02-06-2010, 12:17 AM

33 posts, read 102,991 times
Maybe everyone who reads this site can do their part to give of the Aloha spirit - it shouldn't become watered down or disappear entirely - you can't rely on certain individuals to make it happen - maybe if everyone reading this did their part to strive to have that Aloha spirit - it would become contagious, and spread back to the ways it once was more of a reality. The Aloha spirit is what makes the islands so special, and if too many people just 'expect it' or come in with a bad attitude, they are ruining it for future generations.....be the one to make the change and pass it on.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trails View Post
Funny how 2 people who are both on Kauai can see it differently. "Aloha" however you see it is one of the main considerations for me choosing either Oahu or Kauai for relocation.

I have to say that when I have called many businesses on both islands to see about getting cars serviced, availability of foods, etc, I hear the Aloha spirit. Without exception when I call people on Kauai they go out of their way to be friendly and engage in conversation ("talk story") - something that is VERY different than calling most mainland stores. I notice aloha on Oahu also but a bit more on Kauai (I have been to both as well).
It's all about where you live, one's experiences and one's attitude. I'm a haole and always show respect, am friendly but at the same time don't take any shi_.

Also what a tourist experiences and a resident does are two different things.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:03 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Default More Aloha...

I just read a terrific article in Ke Ola magazine by Robert James (a poet)... here is a small excerpt for you...'There is only one heart, one center, one spirit, one aloha. Find aloha at the core of your own being and you will have instantly found it in everyone and everything.'
Koale

Old 02-06-2010, 11:35 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,368 times
I was also going to quote that book/article Koale! Good job.

I do believe it in what was said very much so. Is there Aloha? I believe so as a new transplant hanging out with I guess senior citizens post. Is it every where no sadly. Can you create - keep yourself in areas that it does happen yes. Am I a philospher, living in a yurt doing mediatation each day only eating vege's to do this? NO ( but no offense to anyone doing this) I go out to bars and met locals, tourists, snowbirds, people from other countries working here, give Aloha to everyone I meet because I got aloha to come here in the first place.

I have jumped on the back of Hawaiian Bikers to go a block down the street and they talk story about growing up. I have locked my keys in a park on North side, where no cell phone works, offered something to destress me - thanks need to get the keys out- A Portaguse guy gave me a ride found tow truck took me back - two truck unlocked the door for free. The person that gave me a ride gave my aunt his polarized binocs expensive rest of the day to watch whales. Offered his place any time any years.

I just ran into people I met last year haven't seen since I came back. There invited myself plus to party tomarrow without knowing who I would bring.

Aloha - is it every where sigh no, but have I been blessed in finding it? Yes along with my friends that have lived here since the 70's. I don't think it is so much you looking for it as you respect and it comes back to you if your lucky. And I find the little things count more than the big- but also have found the big!!

I respect the land the spirit of the people. I respect the culture (all) enough to learn to read to expand. I even respect the server that just got here from CA explain to me Mahiahi is two seperate words and are a very unique fish. OK Mahalo for that help.

And for the record I do stay in an area that Mahalo and Aloha and Pau and many other words are common day language not seeming to be anything out of the norm. You move to a differnt area you learn differnt lingo -- normal not trying to talk pidgen.

Gringo..

Old 02-07-2010, 07:13 AM

168 posts, read 726,407 times
i LOVE that quote Koale!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii