Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 03:33 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,412,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arodrigues88 View Post
Not sure of the real numbers or facts but from what I know, there are a lot of black people on Oahu. Not too sure about the Hispanics because I rarely see them around. Definitely a lot of whites, Portuguese, and Asian people as well.
Portuguese Americans are white. I don't know why you separated them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 03:48 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,694,343 times
Could be the hispanics are confused for Hawaiians or other Pacific islanders just like on the mainland. I see Hawaiians walking around in NV or AZ with t-shirts that say "No!, I'm not mexican, I'm Hawaiian" or "I'm Hawaiian, I No Habla Espanol". My favorite was "Bronze Skin Color does not ALWAYS mean Mexican?"

Old 03-10-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
did i read it correct that only 8.8% of Hawaii population is Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander?
Keep in mind that those are just the people that are Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone. Due to Hawaii's high rate of interracial relationships, 23.2% of the population have some Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander ancestry; that percentage includes the ones who are Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone, too. I'm sure that most of the some 73,000 native Hawaiians are probably not even purely Hawaiian in ethnicity. The rate of interracial relationships there is so high that the number of full-blooded Hawaiians is declining sharply. As you can see from the source, Native Hawaiians make up only 5.8% of Hawaii's population; Asians, Caucasians, Hispanics, and multiracial individuals outnumber the Native Hawaiians by far.

I've heard about how some native Hawaiians resent Caucasians; it's not surprising given the state's history. I think people should stop living in the past though. With the diversity and rate of interracial relationships there, I'm sure people are more tolerant of each other there than here on the mainland.

Spoiler
Sorry for getting a little off-topic with that last paragraph.

I'd like to visit Hawaii some time.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:08 PM

243 posts, read 813,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Portuguese Americans are white. I don't know why you separated them.
Portuguese Americans are white? & Native Hawaiians aren't Native?

Where did you get your information from? Obviously you haven't been to Hawaii so YOUR facts are purely opinions because I'm Portuguese and Native Hawaiian and I'm NOT white. Not sure why you put them together.

Last edited by 7th generation; 03-10-2010 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: unnecessary commentary

Old 03-10-2010, 04:15 PM

47 posts, read 182,429 times
Quote:

Where did you get your information from? Obviously you haven't been to Hawaii so YOUR facts are purely opinions because I'm Portuguese and Native Hawaiian and I'm NOT white. Not sure why you put them together.
I think he means Portuguguese are considered white when it comes to data reporting. I work at a University and we consider Portuguese European not hispanic.

Last edited by 7th generation; 03-10-2010 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: removed orphaned content from quote

Old 03-10-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:

• Well, excuse me for not knowing you were native Hawaiian and Portuguese.
  • When did I say native Hawaiians weren't native?
  • Portuguese people are from Portugal.
  • Portugal is in Europe.
  • Europeans are white.
  • Therefore Portuguese Americans are white.
  • You obviously skimmed my posts, rather than reading them carefully.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:02 PM

243 posts, read 813,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dply View Post
I think he means Portuguguese are considered white when it comes to data reporting. I work at a University and we consider Portuguese European not hispanic.
Getting a little off topic now...

I read your post very carefully and it doesn't seem like you have done your complete research. Maybe that will help you out next time you post...

Portuguese Americans are people whose ancestry originates from the Southwest European nation of Portugal which also includes offshore islands of Azores and Madeira. Portuguese Americans are the fourth largest ethnic group in Hawaii. The Portuguese people immigrated to the Kingdom of Hawaii before the overthrow.

The only connection I can think of is because Europeans are indigenous to white people, which is why I think people can get a little confused. But there are also Portuguese people who are from India as well. So I'm not sure why Portuguese people are classified as "white".

Never ending battle. I'm done now.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Getting a little off topic now...

I read your post very carefully and it doesn't seem like you have done your complete research. Maybe that will help you out next time you post...

Portuguese Americans are people whose ancestry originates from the Southwest European nation of Portugal which also includes offshore islands of Azores and Madeira. Portuguese Americans are the fourth largest ethnic group in Hawaii. The Portuguese people immigrated to the Kingdom of Hawaii before the overthrow.

The only connection I can think of is because Europeans are indigenous to white people, which is why I think people can get a little confused. But there are also Portuguese people who are from India as well. So I'm not sure why Portuguese people are classified as "white".

Never ending battle. I'm done now.
Huh? I think you meant Europeans are indigenous to Europe.

*sighs*

Portuguese people are indigenous to Portugal. Portugal is in Europe. Europeans are white. Therefore Portuguese Americans are white.

It doesn't take a physicist to figure it out people.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:37 PM

649 posts, read 3,445,602 times
Portuguese people are from Portugal, which is on the Iberian Peninsula with Spain. Are Spaniards considered 'hispanic'? Or are they 'white'? Are Portuguese people more white than Spaniards from Spain? I don't know, I'm just asking.

OK, after posting this the first time, I looked it up in wikipedia. That is very interesting! Apparently Portuguese are included as "hispanic" by some definitions and excluded by others. Check out the wiki article for "hispanic" if you're interested.

Last edited by Sweetbeet; 03-10-2010 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: More information

Old 03-10-2010, 07:04 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,037,091 times
An old Portuguese friend of mine here on Kauai told me this Portagee joke.

"How do you tell the Portagee guy at the Chicken fight?"

"He's the one with the duck..."

He tells me that Portuguese people were the brunt of jokes in the past, similar to jokes about Polish, Irish or Italians on the mainland. He also tells me his people fought rosters here for over a hundred years and still do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: