Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:15 PM

243 posts, read 813,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
An old Portuguese friend of mine here on Kauai told me this Portagee joke.

"How do you tell the Portagee guy at the Chicken fight?"

"He's the one with the duck..."

He tells me that Portuguese people were the brunt of jokes in the past, similar to jokes about Polish, Irish or Italians on the mainland. He also tells me his people fought rosters here for over a hundred years and still do.
haha

My friends used to always make fun of me because I'm Portuguese. Everything that I did, ended in "because you are Portagee"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 07:16 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,412,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
Portuguese people are from Portugal, which is on the Iberian Peninsula with Spain. Are Spaniards considered 'hispanic'? Or are they 'white'? Are Portuguese people more white than Spaniards from Spain? I don't know, I'm just asking.

OK, after posting this the first time, I looked it up in wikipedia. That is very interesting! Apparently Portuguese are included as "hispanic" by some definitions and excluded by others. Check out the wiki article for "hispanic" if you're interested.
Yes, Spaniards are Hispanic, but they're European, so they're white, too. "Hispanic" doesn't mean "non-white". It's a big misconception.

White Hispanic and Latino Americans

The link is just for some interesting info.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:20 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,265,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Portuguese people are indigenous to Portugal. Portugal is in Europe. Europeans are white. Therefore Portuguese Americans are white.

It doesn't take a physicist to figure it out people.
I know plenty of Portuguese Americans who aren't "white." Here's a link to a PDF of a paper about the Portuguese and Lusotropicalism that might prove somewhat enlightening...
http://site.miguelvaledealmeida.net/...te-english.pdf

Old 03-10-2010, 07:38 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,899,252 times
I really hate to ring in on race threads, but even La Raza (National Council of La Raza) seems to agree that "hispanic" is a broad spectrum of ethic and geographical, not necessarily racial, associations. Thus, a person who self-identifies as "white" or "black" can still consider themselves culturally "hispanic." This makes for a very diverse set of "hispanic" responses, including race AND ethnicity AND national origin. (And/or other factors.)

On any given survey form, one usually must choose among given categories, even when you might identify with several. Thus, we get different percentages, proportions, etc. "Hispanic" happens to be one of the broadest -- and broadly-defined -- categories of all, depending upon how one defines themselves and the influence -- not specifically race, ethnicity, etc. -- of where they were born and/or were raised.

I never really understand the curiosity about these issues, since they are well-documented by the (non-forum) City-Data pages, the US Census, and any number of info-collecting/reporting sites.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:51 PM

OK, so what about the Japanese. Wait, let me get this straight, Japanese-Americans in Hawaii.

As far as I know, they migrated to Hawaii back in the 1850s to work at the sugar plantations. (That's all I really know ).

My teacher back in high school was Japanese and he told us that during WWII he would go to school and all the other kids would look at him like this . He said he was so scared and never felt so ashamed before.

So with that being said, I know that the Asian community is huge within the populations of Hawaii. City Data Guy....anything to add?

Old 03-10-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arodrigues88 View Post
OK, so what about the Japanese. Wait, let me get this straight, Japanese-Americans in Hawaii.

As far as I know, they migrated to Hawaii back in the 1850s to work at the sugar plantations. (That's all I really know ).

My teacher back in high school was Japanese and he told us that during WWII he would go to school and all the other kids would look at him like this . He said he was so scared and never felt so ashamed before.

So with that being said, I know that the Asian community is huge within the populations of Hawaii. City Data Guy....anything to add?
I don't know what to add. What do you want me to say? We went from demography and racial stats to history.

Or am I missing something here?

Old 03-10-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
I don't know what to add. What do you want me to say? We went from demography and racial stats to history.

Or am I missing something here?
Well the OP wanted to know why there were so many Japanese in Hawaii. So I was just posting a little history behind how they got to Hawaii and what the purpose was. I'm not sure IF there is an actual reason(s) as to why they are here in Hawaii. LOL

Old 03-10-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arodrigues88 View Post
Well the OP wanted to know why there were so many Japanese in Hawaii. So I was just posting a little history behind how they got to Hawaii and what the purpose was. I'm not sure IF there is an actual reason(s) as to why they are here in Hawaii. LOL
Oh, I'm not completely sure then. I'm not entirely knowledgeable in history; you could do some research.

I'm too lazy.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:21 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,414,228 times
Talking Lolololol.....

You're killin' me....

Old 03-11-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
You're killin' me....
Who are you talking to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: