Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,675 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, I having been browsing the forums here recently, becuase me and my girlfriend are really thinking about making a move to Hawaii. I do mainly wedding photography and was wondering if anyone knew how the market is out there?

Basically can I make a living in Oahu or the Big Island shooting weddings?

I would love to hear anyones advise or feedback.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 05:15 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,045,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtimm View Post
Hi Everyone, I having been browsing the forums here recently, becuase me and my girlfriend are really thinking about making a move to Hawaii. I do mainly wedding photography and was wondering if anyone knew how the market is out there?

Basically can I make a living in Oahu or the Big Island shooting weddings?

I would love to hear anyones advise or feedback.

Thanks!
The market is saturated with photgraphers and people catering to the needs of the wedding market.

If you google it you willl see the large number of business and get an idea what they charge. With the economy here having tanked and the number of visitors down many in this business are sucking wind.

In a robust ecomony your idea would have worked but not now.

Maybe if you did it on the side while working fulltime you could make side cash but that's about it.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:53 AM

820 posts, read 3,041,138 times
I hate to sound negative, but I agree that there are lots and lots of photographers here. One regular joke when introduced to someone new and they ask what I do is telling them I am neither a real estate agent nor a photographer.

I know of photographers here on Maui who fly to the BI and Kauai for wedding shoots. It's all about getting the contacts to get the jobs. They have agreements with the wedding planners and international companies who serve the Japanese weddings.

If you have a very good business going already, perhaps from advertising or contracts with wedding sites and services, then maybe you can get the referrals to weddings planned for here in Hawaii. Otherwise it will be harder for you to start a business and get the work. Most people who come to Hawaii to get married of course already have a photographer selected, usually from referrals or wedding sites.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:58 AM

Trying to give you some positive ideas -

If/when the real estate market picks back up, one growing segment is HDR photography of houses, interiors and also exteriors, for quality advertisements.

If you are really good and also a good communicator, you can try offering classes. Either evening via the community college, or private sessions, or maybe try approaching the resorts. Perhaps they would offer guests a photography walk/class, for a package price.

Or if you are used to studio photography, offer product shots for local businesses that advertise on the internet or in the visitor catalogs.

You will have to get out there and hustle up the work. You will probably need another (at least) part-time job to supplement the photography income.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:14 AM

96 posts, read 620,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
I hate to sound negative, but I agree that there are lots and lots of photographers here. One regular joke when introduced to someone new and they ask what I do is telling them I am neither a real estate agent nor a photographer.

I know of photographers here on Maui who fly to the BI and Kauai for wedding shoots. It's all about getting the contacts to get the jobs. They have agreements with the wedding planners and international companies who serve the Japanese weddings.

If you have a very good business going already, perhaps from advertising or contracts with wedding sites and services, then maybe you can get the referrals to weddings planned for here in Hawaii. Otherwise it will be harder for you to start a business and get the work. Most people who come to Hawaii to get married of course already have a photographer selected, usually from referrals or wedding sites.
i agree 100% we have more than we need when it comes to real estate agents and photographers. unfortunately that especially with the economy as it is many are returning to the mainland as they can't make it with just that as their only income.

i wouldnt recommend making the jump and going just on photography for your main income as like others have said we have a lot already, even on the big island you wont find a shortage, not to mention others from nearby islands are usually willing to travel for weddings on the other islands if a client needs it and is offering them the job in the first place. i would try getting another job seeing how you can manage with that income here and do photo on the side. we have many artists here who come to 'paradise' with that same idea of doing work and selling it etc. even photogs who take landscape picts or painters etc. try to make some money but it is almost always not their main source of income, unless youre Wyland of course lol

good luck in your decision but just be warned that it will be difficult to make a living here in any job and more so with photography or any other job where you dont have a consistent income each week and where you dont already have a build of clientele

Old 03-22-2010, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,675 times
Thanks everyone! Lots of great information, I had kind of thought that would be the case. I am not sure what we will do at this point, but will take your advice into consideration.

THanks

Old 07-14-2010, 01:29 PM

17 posts, read 52,355 times
Sorry to ressurect a semi dead thread but its specific nature warrants that I post here.

What about cinematography? I own a good deal of equipment and camera gear, I shoot a lot of corporate work, music videos ect. I own a 2 ton grip and electric truck (yes I know shipping will be expensive)

my question is what does the market look like for a cinematographer / Gaffer With Gear? anything beside LOST goin on in the last couple of years??

Old 07-14-2010, 03:12 PM

18,438 posts, read 19,093,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadtv View Post
Sorry to ressurect a semi dead thread but its specific nature warrants that I post here.

What about cinematography? I own a good deal of equipment and camera gear, I shoot a lot of corporate work, music videos ect. I own a 2 ton grip and electric truck (yes I know shipping will be expensive)

my question is what does the market look like for a cinematographer / Gaffer With Gear? anything beside LOST goin on in the last couple of years??
are you union or free lance? tv shows and movies, the screen actors, and directors guilds are all union and only work with union. non union may be able to work with some local production co.

as for OP on photography. paying for a kiosk and setting up portraits on the beach might be an option. I have always thought if you were set up already taking shots of windsurfers, surfers both tourist and local, where you could see and print out the picture on the spot would be great.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
as for OP on photography. paying for a kiosk and setting up portraits on the beach might be an option. I have always thought if you were set up already taking shots of windsurfers, surfers both tourist and local, where you could see and print out the picture on the spot would be great.
Only 2 beaches in the state of Hawaii where you can do commerce on the beach, one on Oahu and one here on Maui.

You can get date/time specific permits for things like weddings, but you can't rent equipment or provide services on the beach.

The surfboard rental folks here do put a person in the water. They take video and try to sell the DVD to the customers when they get out of the water. The rental people can take the footage, drop it into a stock movie theme, and have it ready to show you by the time you change back into your own clothes. They operate from a truck/RV across the street, in a private lot for which they pay rent.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:04 PM

18,438 posts, read 19,093,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
Only 2 beaches in the state of Hawaii where you can do commerce on the beach, one on Oahu and one here on Maui.

You can get date/time specific permits for things like weddings, but you can't rent equipment or provide services on the beach.

The surfboard rental folks here do put a person in the water. They take video and try to sell the DVD to the customers when they get out of the water. The rental people can take the footage, drop it into a stock movie theme, and have it ready to show you by the time you change back into your own clothes. They operate from a truck/RV across the street, in a private lot for which they pay rent.

I knew we were pretty restrictive. make sense it would be hard to do or someone would be doing it already. there is a little kiosk at whalers village on the beach that does beach photogs, not sure if they make any money or not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii