Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:15 PM

40 posts, read 79,917 times

Advertisements

I know this may seem like a very stupid question, however, I must ask: Is it possible to bring your pet turtles with you when relocating? I must admit I've always assumed the answer was a no, so I never looked into it. But I felt I must ask if anyone had any experience with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 09:46 PM

160 posts, read 486,573 times
Not sure about sure about smaller pets. I know dogs/cats are a pain, but there is the worry about plenty of diseases that a turtle could never carry. I think they can have salmonella, which all the skinks and jacksons here probably carry anyway?

Old 04-20-2010, 10:11 PM

88 posts, read 301,706 times
I called to the quarantine hotline awhile back asking about a red eared slider. They told me I was allowed to bring them, but would need a veternarian to sign off that it is in good health and such. I would also not be allowed to breed it I think she said. Just call and they are very helpful. I read through all the documents about what is and isnt allowed and was thoroughly confused...LOL so I just called them. questions were answered in a few minutes.

Hope this helps.

Gib

Old 04-20-2010, 10:36 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,712,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibs07GTcpe View Post
I called to the quarantine hotline awhile back asking about a red eared slider. They told me I was allowed to bring them, but would need a veternarian to sign off that it is in good health and such. I would also not be allowed to breed it I think she said. Just call and they are very helpful. I read through all the documents about what is and isnt allowed and was thoroughly confused...LOL so I just called them. questions were answered in a few minutes.

Hope this helps.

Gib
Good answer. Call DoA as they are the final authority on what is and isnt allowed. mske sure you know for sure the type of turtle and not just what someone said it is. If there is any question by DoA as to what type of turtle it is, it goes to a pannel and their word is law. If they can not be sure it is what you say it is, they will deny entry and the turtle is history.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:03 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,090,289 times
I've seen the red eared turtles, several different varieties of tortoise and several different varieties of box turtles. They sell them at the pet shops, so they have to import them somehow. I had a pair of box turtles years ago, they really really like mangoes. But they would also get excited about worms, so there's no figuring them out.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:37 AM

40 posts, read 79,917 times
Thanks for all the advice, it's changed a few of our plans now. I'm glad I decided to ask, it would be a really wonderful thing for us to be able to bring our two turtles...I'll be checking on this :-)

Old 04-23-2010, 02:35 PM

Your welcome. As much as I didnt like the idea of the one my daughter got, I cant see not having her now.....never thought I would like having a turtle as a pet...

Gib

Old 04-23-2010, 03:46 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,407,174 times
Quote:
Your welcome. As much as I didnt like the idea of the one my daughter got, I cant see not having her now.....never thought I would like having a turtle as a pet...

Gib
When I was a kid, I loved animals, but I was allergic to anything with fur, so we had turtles as pets (thus my screen name). They make great pets, as long as you know how to care for them, and different individuals have different personalities. They can live for a long time -- my parents still have one turtle we got in 1971.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:36 AM

^^^^^ Dont tell me that! I dont know if I want to get stuck with it for 40 years.....LOL

The daughter will take it with her when she leaves.....she is 7 now.....LOL

Old 04-25-2010, 03:38 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,457,701 times
Quote:
^^^^^ Dont tell me that! I dont know if I want to get stuck with it for 40 years.....LOL

The daughter will take it with her when she leaves.....she is 7 now.....LOL

When you get tired of it, just release it into the wild like those Floridians do with their pet snakes.

JK... Don't release pets into the wild!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii