Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 02:39 PM

805 posts, read 1,871,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
it's scaleability. .......... the "issue" can disappear with no programming change. not that that's the right move, they need to fix it, but that doesn't mean it's a substantial programming issue either.
Do you have an links to substantiate that claim? Because I don't believe that is the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 03:43 PM

334 posts, read 716,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
it's scaleability. it could be a minor glitch but still take a while to fix. but as demand on the website decreases, the "issue" can disappear with no programming change. not that that's the right move, they need to fix it, but that doesn't mean it's a substantial programming issue either.
It sure as heck is some kind of major issue. The site is as useless today as it was when they rolled it out almost two weeks ago.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS50 View Post
I've filled out the basic profile data 10 times and it won't save properly!

I've filled out the application at least 5 times and it won't save properly!

Sometimes it locks up and DOES NOTHING!

Each and every time I return and log in it says I have not completed the application.

I get UNEXPECTED ERROR EVERY time.

I so want this to get fixed!

This DATABASE is a disaster - NOT OBAMACARE HOWEVER.
__________________________________________________ ___________

So here's my followup:

Today I entered the site and began to review the document - pretty good so far!

Then instead of there being just my wife and myself on the application there were three of me plus my wife on the application.

So I chatted and was told to "fill out ALL three application sets of questions" for myself..

I'm going to wait a month before trying it again.

Something is very very wrong!

Old 10-13-2013, 10:56 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,038,049 times
The Department of Health and Human Resources should have some heads roll because of this. How they could be so unprepared is mind boggling. But the White House continues to spin it.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:46 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Many of the problems stem from use of subcontractors who are only in it for the money.

Read this if you are interested in learning what's behind the problems...
Problems with healthcare.gov: Cronyism, bad management, and too many cooks.

The issue was crystallized by the last paragraph:
Quote:
Gundersen, who spoke openly about his experience, was scathing toward the procurement process. “If people don’t see the need for procurement reform after this,” he said, “we’re in trouble.”
We need to stop granting contracts that benefit the contractors. The most common response to that call is that companies won't bid on contracts that don't provide excessive profits. Fine. Then bring the work in-house, hiring the staff necessary. There has been this big push for decades to privatize and let industry do things for government instead of hiring government employees to do the work, with the push justified by claims that private companies can do a better job with less money. Well it's time to call BS on that ... it's clearly a lie. Government employees are cheap targets, but they do a better job than these contractors.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:56 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,038,049 times
Who is managing this debacle? Some software experts were appalled at the level of incompetence of the contractors.

Isn't it odd Obama won't really address the ongoing problems? He kind of brushed them off. I don't think it will be fixed anytime soon.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:06 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
If it's anything like the horrendous mess Deloitte has perpetrated on the states of CA, MA, NV, and others, in unemployment benefits and other state systems, the problems will be unresolvable and continue indefinitely. CA EDD hasn't been able to straighten out its mess in six weeks. Internal EDD IT people working on the system state the system will remain buggy and unreliable, because fixes were not made as the system was built, were instead ignored, and pieces which didn't fit were forced together - in the end creating an unworkable mess. The CA situation is a disaster. The CA legislature is starting an investigation.

Just a short list (not included is the current scandal is the EDD upgrade leaving hundreds of thousands without benefits to this day for months):
Quote:
  • Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) – The firm implemented the SAP HR system for LAUSD for $95 million and because of faults in the system, some teachers were underpaid, overpaid, or not paid at all.[40] As of 31 December 2007 LAUSD had incurred a total of $140 million in payments to Deloitte to get the system working properly.[41] In 2008 there was some evidence that the payroll issues had started to stabilize with errors below 1% according to LAUSD's chief operating officer.[42]
  • State of California Courts System – The firm has been working on a statewide case management system which originally had a budget of around $260 million. Almost $500 million has already been spent and costs are expected to run as high as $2 billion. No single court is yet fully operational.[43] California's Judicial Council terminated the project in 2012 citing actual deployment costs associated with the project and California's budget concerns.[44]
Deloitte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The ACA may very well be sunk on the petard of technological shortcutting incompetence.

Clearly, someone at Deloitte has lined the pockets of enough politicians. Whomever got the federal contract - it's on this board somewhere - has probably done the same.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-18-2013 at 07:19 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 07:28 PM

805 posts, read 1,871,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Who is managing this debacle? Some software experts were appalled at the level of incompetence of the contractors.
The buck stops with Kathleen Sebelius...why she still has her job is a mystery.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:25 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
The contractors were pre-qualified back in 2005 or 2006, I don't remember which. Their competence was confirmed. What happened was more insidious: The standard modus operandi of business these days took hold: Excessive bargain-hunting by consumers (i.e., in this case, taxpayers) combined with excessive fixation on EBIT by investors led to ridiculously harmful cost-cutting, corner-cutting, and other means to try to make a big job fit in a small budget, which resulted in failures that have and will continue to cost far more than the earlier penny-wise/pound-foolish decisions saved.

Quote:
Isn't it odd Obama won't really address the ongoing problems?
I've never seen him at any of the major web technology conferences, nor have I seen him publish any journal articles on web application project management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
The buck stops with Kathleen Sebelius...why she still has her job is a mystery.
Sebelius will have to be fired, because that's all government knows how to do when such things happen, but the assumption that Sebelius had any role in causing this problem or could have done anything to preclude it from happening is a childish fantasy. This is a reflection of the way our society its, now. Years of marginalization of the true costs and marginalization of the value of good work, prompted by an overarching bargain-hunting consumer perspective and overarching investor fixation on EBIT has utterly destroyed any pretense of pursuing high quality, reliability or robustness. It seems that if it isn't something like an airplane falling out of the sky, the American consumer and investor has tunnel-vision.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:51 PM

6 posts, read 5,836 times
Why don't they just take everything down and start over? Is it easier/faster to find all the problems and fix them?

Also, I haven't been able to log in for quite a few days now and just saw they added a tool (this is new, right?) where you can see estimated prices - which, by the way, are different than what was showed in my account after I entered all my info. I probably would have worked on the whole people can't log in issue rather than add inaccurate tools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance