Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 06:38 AM

26,768 posts, read 26,897,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
All he has to do is stay healthy.
...which is a complete gamble.

Of COUSE life is cheaper without many of its aspects: children, taxes, owning property, auto insurance, taking care of an elderly relative, etc, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 06:39 AM

350 posts, read 417,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It only take one major episode that can lead to major costs or life and death. For example, the sudden need for an organ transplant or very costly chemo procedure or rx to save your life. But without insurance, you can't get the procedure or Rx or surgery.

How about the pepple that have contacted flesh eating bacteria and are in the hospital for over a month fighting for their life. Perfectly healthy one day and a few days later in intensive care.

It can happen to anyone quickly even if you and healthy.

How many fires do you have at your house? That's why you have homeowner's insurance-it only takes 1 major fire.

I've paid for auto insurance for years and never had an accident.
I've paid for health insurance for years and never had to be hospitalized.
I feel that insurance should be adjusted in terms of premiums based upon health and usage. I don't feel that I received a good return on paying 10's of thousands of dollars on health insurance over the past 40 years. A huge portion of the premium goes to the agent for commissions - true I know people in the insurance industry.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:31 AM

123 posts, read 278,567 times
Obamacare has raised our insurance costs to crazy levels. Cheapest insurance I can get for my family of 4 is $1030 a month! thank you Obamacare. We earn too much money to get any tax credits. $85,000 a year. Were not rich, paying $12,300 a year before we even see a doctor or get any medications is just plan crazy! We almost can't afford health insurance anymore. It's the biggest cost we have, way more than our monthly mortgage. Price's have gone up each year by large amounts because of Obamacare. What do we do? Go on a HSA plan and pay the fine? this is nuts.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:24 PM

7,970 posts, read 9,185,699 times
I believe you can get some subsidies up to 95K per year for family of 4 for Obamacare exchange based plans. But I do agree with your contention about the high price of health insurance. I am paying $1250 a month for silver plan for family of 4 in NY.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:29 PM

15,152 posts, read 27,838,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Anyone already on the plan should never have signed up for it in the first place, and everybody knows that it's going to cost more each year. You're better off with an insurance company. And where's that check for the fine going to go to? It's a stupid plan.
Another ridiculous, uninformed statement.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:40 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,879,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey1 View Post
Obamacare has raised our insurance costs to crazy levels. Cheapest insurance I can get for my family of 4 is $1030 a month! thank you Obamacare. We earn too much money to get any tax credits. $85,000 a year. Were not rich, paying $12,300 a year before we even see a doctor or get any medications is just plan crazy! We almost can't afford health insurance anymore. It's the biggest cost we have, way more than our monthly mortgage. Price's have gone up each year by large amounts because of Obamacare. What do we do? Go on a HSA plan and pay the fine? this is nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I believe you can get some subsidies up to 95K per year for family of 4 for Obamacare exchange based plans. But I do agree with your contention about the high price of health insurance. I am paying $1250 a month for silver plan for family of 4 in NY.
Actually those prices aren't bad. When we went on COBRA.....BEFORE the ACA was even a law.....we paid over $1300 per month for TWO people in SC. And it wasn't a fancy plan, about what we have now, which is a silver. And that was what my ex-employer was paying for us, and not based on age as ours is now.

As far as prices going up, they were going up by leaps and bounds BEFORE the ACA went into effect. Had been for years. The insurance companies are just using the ACA as a scapegoat and telling everybody that it's the fault of someone else (the government) because prices are going up. What they don't tell you is that they were extremely happy with the old way of denying people coverage and procedures while lining the pockets of all the top executives. Now, heaven forbid, they must actually cover people who have had something happen in the last 5 years (no matter that it is fixed or may never happen again), plus they must actually spend most of the income on the people insured and NOT line their pockets. Oh, the horrors of it all........ to actually have to HELP the people that the company insures. But of course that means that since it is not even fathomable for them take a 10% cut in their multi-million dollar paychecks, they raise the prices. But hey, they don't want to appear greedy, so they blame it on the ACA. If you want to blame someone, blame the top executives of the health insurance companies who are greed personified. Maybe it's time that THEY take a bit of a paycut, so that our rates don't go up. Yeah, like THAT'S going to happen.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:43 PM

484 posts, read 562,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey1 View Post
Obamacare has raised our insurance costs to crazy levels. Cheapest insurance I can get for my family of 4 is $1030 a month! thank you Obamacare. We earn too much money to get any tax credits. $85,000 a year. .
You've been misinformed. A family of 4 is eligible for premium tax credit subsidies as long as the income for that family is under $97,000/year. You're clearly eligible for subsidies if you are purchasing your coverage through the Exchange. It's still Open Enrollment until January 31 -- contact your Exchange and see where the mistake was made, you should get what you're entitled to receive.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Actually those prices aren't bad. When we went on COBRA.....BEFORE the ACA was even a law.....we paid over $1300 per month for TWO people in SC. And it wasn't a fancy plan, about what we have now, which is a silver. And that was what my ex-employer was paying for us, and not based on age as ours is now.

As far as prices going up, they were going up by leaps and bounds BEFORE the ACA went into effect. Had been for years. The insurance companies are just using the ACA as a scapegoat and telling everybody that it's the fault of someone else (the government) because prices are going up. What they don't tell you is that they were extremely happy with the old way of denying people coverage and procedures while lining the pockets of all the top executives. Now, heaven forbid, they must actually cover people who have had something happen in the last 5 years (no matter that it is fixed or may never happen again), plus they must actually spend most of the income on the people insured and NOT line their pockets. Oh, the horrors of it all........ to actually have to HELP the people that the company insures. But of course that means that since it is not even fathomable for them take a 10% cut in their multi-million dollar paychecks, they raise the prices. But hey, they don't want to appear greedy, so they blame it on the ACA. If you want to blame someone, blame the top executives of the health insurance companies who are greed personified. Maybe it's time that THEY take a bit of a paycut, so that our rates don't go up. Yeah, like THAT'S going to happen.
Of course, your company was able to fully write off the cost of the insurance, as opposed to individuals who have no write off and self employed folks who only have a 1040 write off instead of the more beneficial Schedule c write off.

Not sure what the few executives salary does in terms of the overall cost of healthcare in this country. Most likely it is a rounding error at best. ACA, if anything, made insurance companies even MORE profitable as they got direct subsidies from the government AND reinsurance to prevent losses also paid by the govt.

Perhaps you should blame the govt that created ACA and its individual mandate/guaranteed subsidies for not implementing more stringent oversight of the premiums charged by the companies, and blame it for the continued delay of Cadillac tax which was supposed to help reduce costs.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:33 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,850,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
...which is a complete gamble.

Of COUSE life is cheaper without many of its aspects: children, taxes, owning property, auto insurance, taking care of an elderly relative, etc, etc.
The problem with going without healthcare is that it requires you to look backward (how has my health been the last few years) and make extrapolations forward. The older you get the more dicey that calculation is.

I can handle the cost of routine doctor visits and the one medication I take. What I CAN'T handle is the cost of, say, breast cancer treatment or any number of high-cost illnesses. Our current insurance (59 and 63 yr old) runs about $12,500 a year. I COULD pay my medical bills out-of-pocketand then bank that money and cross my fingers and hope for the best. That doesn't strike me as sound policy. I COULD self-insure for my car insurance and go without home insurance, too and I don't do that, either.

Without the ACA, I would not have insurance because of a pre-existing condition (the one I take 1 pill a day for).

Old 01-06-2016, 06:09 PM

Report from Office of Inspector General stating they can't verify that subsidies were paid only on behalf of people who actually paid premiums. Insurance companies probably were getting money from the feds that shouldn't have been paid. Again, the ACA was a dream for the insurers for profitability.

Makes one wonder if the feds can't handle the relatively small number of exchange based policies, could they handle universal care?

http://oig.hhs.gov/oas/reports/regio...LMKM1ty9MQWxTk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance