Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 04:00 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON — Clint Murphy let the deadline for getting health insurance by the new year pass without a second thought.

Mr. Murphy, an engineer in Sulphur Springs, Tex., estimates that under the Affordable Care Act, he will face a fine of $1,800 for going uninsured in 2016. But in his view, paying that penalty is worth it if he can avoid buying an insurance policy that costs $2,900 or more. All he has to do is stay healthy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/04/us...=top-news&_r=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 04:07 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times
He can stay healthy and still have huge medical bills...fall down the stairs will cost more than the $1000 difference just to put a cast on your broken arm....

Old 01-03-2016, 04:25 PM

350 posts, read 415,888 times
Qwerty: how many times do you use a hospital every year?

Old 01-03-2016, 04:55 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Buying or not buying individual policies is a lot like gambling.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo99 View Post
Hospital specifically, on average over the past several years, once, but I have some medical conditions so I see a doctor several times/year, but outside of that, I tore my rotator cuff pulling a big weed in our backyard that so far has been about $3000 in doctor bills and physical therapy bills, trying to avoid surgery for that....then, my husband cut his hand on some rusty metal doing so work around the house, the 4 stitches and the tetanus shot was about $500.

Outside of that, no health insurance usually means no annual physicals so small medical matters could blossom into huge medical expenses...but even going for a comprehensive annual physical is going to be $400-500, at least, out of pocket. Add in a mammogram for a woman and you have just spent more than the insurance will cost you (for this particular person anyway). Oh, and my colonoscopy--$8000 or so. Glad I didn't have to pay that out of pocket--and I wasn't even 50, just had some unexplained abdominal pain that they checked first with a CT scan, oh, that was $3000 or something like that...found some diverticulitis...thus the colonoscopy---and they found a polyp during that colonoscopy....

Old 01-03-2016, 05:47 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WASHINGTON — Clint Murphy let the deadline for getting health insurance by the new year pass without a second thought.

Mr. Murphy, an engineer in Sulphur Springs, Tex., estimates that under the Affordable Care Act, he will face a fine of $1,800 for going uninsured in 2016. But in his view, paying that penalty is worth it if he can avoid buying an insurance policy that costs $2,900 or more. All he has to do is stay healthy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/04/us...=top-news&_r=1
Anyone already on the plan should never have signed up for it in the first place, and everybody knows that it's going to cost more each year. You're better off with an insurance company. And where's that check for the fine going to go to? It's a stupid plan.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:14 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Hospital specifically, on average over the past several years, once, but I have some medical conditions so I see a doctor several times/year, but outside of that, I tore my rotator cuff pulling a big weed in our backyard that so far has been about $3000 in doctor bills and physical therapy bills, trying to avoid surgery for that....then, my husband cut his hand on some rusty metal doing so work around the house, the 4 stitches and the tetanus shot was about $500.

Outside of that, no health insurance usually means no annual physicals so small medical matters could blossom into huge medical expenses...but even going for a comprehensive annual physical is going to be $400-500, at least, out of pocket. Add in a mammogram for a woman and you have just spent more than the insurance will cost you (for this particular person anyway). Oh, and my colonoscopy--$8000 or so. Glad I didn't have to pay that out of pocket--and I wasn't even 50, just had some unexplained abdominal pain that they checked first with a CT scan, oh, that was $3000 or something like that...found some diverticulitis...thus the colonoscopy---and they found a polyp during that colonoscopy....

DH was working with a power chop saw and accidentally pushed his arm into the blade. Wasn't horrible but did require a visit to the ER, 16 stitches, xrays, tetanus shot and other stuff. Plus since we didn't have a doc in the area yet he had to return to have the stitches removed. According to the EOBs it would have cost us about $2500. Instead it cost us $100 ER copay. Had nothing to do with his health, just an accident that could happen to anyone....ANYONE.

We spent a year without health insurance (COBRA ran out and due to minor pre-existing conditions from several years before no one would take us) and every time DH had to drive to PA to work for 2 weeks a month (we lived in SC) I was a nervous wreck. Anyone who thinks they are immune to accidents and surprise illnesses, they are deluding themselves and have no idea how financially devastating it can be.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:27 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
I personally do not support the mandatory insurance requirement of the ACA. A person should be free to make the decision if they do or don't want to carry health insurance. Health insurance is a very big expense and doesn't always make financial sense from a budgeting perspective. So, lets eliminate the forced requirement to carry health insurance and make people decide for themselves.

I also don't believe a person should have the ability to have their medical financial debts forgiven in bankruptcy if it's due to not having insurance. If they made the decision to go without, they should not be rewarded for poor financial planning.

I also never supported the requirement that a private business must be forced to provide a service without regard to if they can pay or not just because they need it. A private hospital (profit or non-profit) should have the legal right to ask if a person is insured or not. If they cant pay or have insurance to help pay, send them to the government or charity funded hospitals which ccan accept everyone if they like.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:04 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo99 View Post
It only take one major episode that can lead to major costs or life and death. For example, the sudden need for an organ transplant or very costly chemo procedure or rx to save your life. But without insurance, you can't get the procedure or Rx or surgery.

How about the pepple that have contacted flesh eating bacteria and are in the hospital for over a month fighting for their life. Perfectly healthy one day and a few days later in intensive care.

It can happen to anyone quickly even if you and healthy.

How many fires do you have at your house? That's why you have homeowner's insurance-it only takes 1 major fire.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I personally do not support the mandatory insurance requirement of the ACA. A person should be free to make the decision if they do or don't want to carry health insurance. Health insurance is a very big expense and doesn't always make financial sense from a budgeting perspective. So, lets eliminate the forced requirement to carry health insurance and make people decide for themselves.

I also don't believe a person should have the ability to have their medical financial debts forgiven in bankruptcy if it's due to not having insurance. If they made the decision to go without, they should not be rewarded for poor financial planning.

I also never supported the requirement that a private business must be forced to provide a service without regard to if they can pay or not just because they need it. A private hospital (profit or non-profit) should have the legal right to ask if a person is insured or not. If they cant pay or have insurance to help pay, send them to the government or charity funded hospitals which ccan accept everyone if they like.
I think that if someone chooses not to have health insurance that they should just be turned away anywhere...sorry, but do you carry auto insurance, homeowners insurance? How about life insurance of any kind? I don't see people complaining about carrying those, and in most states auto insurance is required and no mortgage company is going to give you a loan without having homeowners insurance. In the 25+ years we have had homeowners insurance, we have used it twice, for hail damage to our roof and once for our auto insurance for hail damage to our car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It only take one major episode that can lead to major costs or life and death. For example, the sudden need for an organ transplant or very costly chemo procedure or rx to save your life. But without insurance, you can't get the procedure or Rx or surgery.

How about the pepple that have contacted flesh eating bacteria and are in the hospital for over a month fighting for their life. Perfectly healthy one day and a few days later in intensive care.

It can happen to anyone quickly even if you and healthy.

How many fires do you have at your house? That's why you have homeowner's insurance-it only takes 1 major fire.
Yep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance