Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 07:32 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,773 times

Advertisements

Since there is such an obesity crisis in the country, I am wondering why we are constantly bombarded with images of gross overweight people. Obesity is a public health crisis but yet people act like it's all right. With the FCC being a governmental agency, it surprises me that they allow obese people to parade around in front of us.

You don't see people smoking or drinking heavily in commericials, so why is an unhealthy addiction to food acceptable?

Thoughts?

Old 11-23-2010, 07:52 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
i guess for the same reason its not against the rules to show super skinny (unhealthy slim) people in comercials...

i dont know where your located, but i cant say ive ever noticed seeing OBESE people in comercials...most are just normal sized women, some a little slimmer than average some a little heavier than average but all "normal" sized people unless there advertising for something specificly related to plus sized items and even then the women in those comercials are mabe a size 14-16 which is a perfectly healthy size for most womens frames.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:00 PM

952 posts, read 942,714 times
after watching early Television broadcasts, and landing for a visit on Earth, Aliens would ask:

"where'd all the fat peoiple come from?"

Old 11-23-2010, 08:03 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Do you really want to live in a country where the government determines who can be in a commercial?

Old 11-23-2010, 08:09 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Do you really want to live in a country where the government determines who can be in a commercial?
Yes! I want to see beautiful people when I turn on the TV.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i guess for the same reason its not against the rules to show super skinny (unhealthy slim) people in comercials...

i dont know where your located, but i cant say ive ever noticed seeing OBESE people in comercials...most are just normal sized women, some a little slimmer than average some a little heavier than average but all "normal" sized people unless there advertising for something specificly related to plus sized items and even then the women in those comercials are mabe a size 14-16 which is a perfectly healthy size for most womens frames.
I live in Colorado, the skinniest state in the country. Obesity is not celebrated here and I appreciate that.

There was a push not too long ago to stop showing extremely thin people. I have not seen someone who I would call unhealthy (on the thin side) in a commercial in YEARS. And excruciatingly thin people never made up 60 percent of the population.

There was a Safe Auto commercial not too long ago with a morbidly obese woman making a spectacle of herself. This post was sparked by a holiday-oriented Overstock.com advertisement with a morbidly obese man singing along. If this is a public health crisis with 60+ percent of our population, why is this allowed?

Size 14-16 is not a normal size. This is why I have a problem. We're so used to seeing obese people that it has skewed are idea of what's healthy. As long as people see people bigger than themselves, they seem to think that their weight is okay even if they are overweight/obese themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
No, but I also don't want to live in a country where I have to indirectly pay for the healthcare costs of others because of their weight.

I'm saying that if the government is going to attack some unhealthy lifestyles, it needs to attack them all. Obesity is not cute, it should not be celebrated, people who are obese should not be comfortable or proud of their size, and obesity should not be acceptable as normal by the American public.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:35 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
In schools they tell our kids about the dangers of smoking and doing drugs and Not to drink and drive.
Yet we dont tell our kids not to Drink Because it's socialy acceptable and ok as long as Your 21.
Nutrition should be taught to us by parents as well as in schools.
As far as obese people being on TV if you dont like it Change the station.
As far as health care costs go then we may as well outlaw Smoking, Alcohol and any number of things.

No i'm not obese.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:57 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,383,205 times
I think the Gov't. has their hands in our lives enough already. Nobody minds if the commercial shows a skydiver, cheerleader, base jumper, or football player, yet these are far more life threatening than being overweight. Having the government involved in what the perfect person looks like isn't something we want to deal with again. Case in point: Adolf Hitler.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
I think the Gov't. has their hands in our lives enough already. Nobody minds if the commercial shows a skydiver, cheerleader, base jumper, or football player, yet these are far more life threatening than being overweight. Having the government involved in what the perfect person looks like isn't something we want to deal with again. Case in point: Adolf Hitler.
Basejumping and surviving are not public health crises. My health insurance premium doesn't go up because people jump out of planes.

Obesity should be characterized with other addictions such as drugs and alcohol.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
In schools they tell our kids about the dangers of smoking and doing drugs and Not to drink and drive.
Yet we dont tell our kids not to Drink Because it's socialy acceptable and ok as long as Your 21.
Nutrition should be taught to us by parents as well as in schools.
As far as obese people being on TV if you dont like it Change the station.
As far as health care costs go then we may as well outlaw Smoking, Alcohol and any number of things.

No i'm not obese.
We don't advertise people doing shots or playing drinking games on commercials. We don't show people smoking on commercials. So why is it okay to show food addictions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness