Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:11 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,430 times

Advertisements

Ive had this extreme stiffness in my left shoulder for a few months now and dont know what caused it. When i put pressure on my left arm to get up out of the chair, it throbs with pain. I work out daily with weights and have not hurt it doing that. Ive heard of folks getting a cortizone shot in different parts of their body which most have said was the cure.

Has anyone gotton a shot like this , where, and any side effects ? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 02:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
My dad had severe arthritis and used to get them. He never complained about any side effects. And he was a "my body is a temple" type who wasn't keen on meds in general. I can tell you they took away his pain, made him much more mobile and put him in a good mood for a couple of weeks.

Don't know if the good mood was from the cortizone or just from being free of debilitating pain. I always suspected a little of both. The doc restricted how often he could get them. I often wished he could get them more frequently than he did because the difference in him overall was amazing.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:22 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I have gotten cortisone shots in my feet due to plantar fasciitis issues. I was surprised at how much the shot burned as it was injected, but it did give some short term relief, and there weren't any side effects in my case.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:25 PM

527 posts, read 1,019,601 times
I had cortizone shots in my lower back it helped for a few months

Old 03-09-2011, 02:32 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
You didn't say what you were doing for treatment now. Have you tired physcial therapy? When I discussed the shots with my doctor, he said they only give two or three and then stop so it is better to find out what is causing the pain. I did have one shot many years ago and I still remember the burning the following day but it was the only shot I needed.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:15 PM

Sounds like its only a temporary measure then . I was hoping for more permanent. Havent tried physical therapy and am not on any treatment currently. When i go to the Gym i excersise my shoulder and it feels better for that day, but then im back where i started. So, i try to go to the Gym every day. It feels to me likes its muscular pain . I suppose i should get an xray to find out whats going on . Thanks.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:10 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
You could also try looking at the Mayo Clinic, Stanford, Cleveland Clinic sites as they often have good info about whether to use heat or ice for some problems. Start with the Mayo clinic as I think they are the easiest to understand and they have "symptom checker" to help you get to where you need to be. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
You could also try looking at the Mayo Clinic, Stanford, Cleveland Clinic sites as they often have good info about whether to use heat or ice for some problems. Start with the Mayo clinic as I think they are the easiest to understand and they have "symptom checker" to help you get to where you need to be. Best of luck to you.
Will do. Thanks.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:34 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
Steroids will reduce inflammation. Therefore they are useful for tears/sprains (bursitis, knee inflammation, etc..).

My husband has had a couple for shoulder pain. The problem is that if its a chronic problem - once the shot wears off (usually a few weeks to a month) the pain will come back.

Side effects are very low.

I would look into physical therapy or at least a chiropractor to see if they can help with a more long term solution. Good Luck!

Old 03-11-2011, 03:57 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My dad had severe arthritis and used to get them. He never complained about any side effects. And he was a "my body is a temple" type who wasn't keen on meds in general. I can tell you they took away his pain, made him much more mobile and put him in a good mood for a couple of weeks.

Don't know if the good mood was from the cortizone or just from being free of debilitating pain. I always suspected a little of both. The doc restricted how often he could get them. I often wished he could get them more frequently than he did because the difference in him overall was amazing.
i suspect the good mood was due to pain relief....

i used to get them in my knee .... they would last about 2-4 months.... and yes, the injection can be painful, but my orthopedist also used some sort of numbing agent, which helped immensely.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness