Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:41 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Did you force your children on others by taking them out in public?

My dog is much better behaved than any 2-4 year-old child I've ever met.

so are both of mine..... better behaved and WAY less destructive and WAY less likely to pass on illnesses.....

first let me say, i am a child-lover, but i am childless by choice.... and am subjected to others' little darlings everywhere i go .... and in fact, am getting over a cold that i probably caught from some snot nosed kid in the grocery store.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
This entire thread has me cracking up!!!
Here's what I do when I see a dog---approach and ask if I can pet it. I don't care if it's in the middle of a grocery or a restaurant.
Here's what I do when I see kids: grab my always handy tissue,cover my mouth and nose & scurry in the other direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Please understand that there is no one else on this earth who more wants to throttle irresponsible, lazy parents who take their obnoxious offspring to the store and turn them loose to terrorize the other patrons because the thought of having them at their side is too troubling. That being said, some actually do choose to discipline their children and supervise them appropriately in public and they don't act that way.

And so yes, there are places I do not want to see dogs, even though I am a pet owner and an animal lover. Not everything is appropriate for every situation. I use the bathroom daily, but I would not drop my pants and do so in the middle of the frozen foods aisle. That is inappropriate for the setting.
neither would either of mine .... they have been trained......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I worked in a department store in a suburb of Pittsburgh and at a furniture store in Tucson and in neither case were we allowed to show any response to people bringing their dogs in the stores. Personally, I find it distasteful especially when the dogs jumped on the furniture. I actually had a woman tell me her dog was there to "help her pick out a new sofa." Seriously.

I am allergic to dogs and I don't think I should have to worry about them being around my workplace if I am not working in a pet-store.

To those who say, "Well, people put their babies in the cart," I say, "The OP specifically said the people in question put their dogs in the FOOD part of the cart, not in the seat part. The babies go in the seat part and one can choose not to put their groceries there.
perfumes, colognes, etc. bother me .... but not much I can do about THAT but remove myself from the situation....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Not me.
or me.....

Old 03-22-2011, 12:45 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
I actually feel sorry for the OP and also those who see more value in a dog than a child. The thread went off topic when service dogs were brought up as everyone knew that is not what the OP was talking about. I don't know what has happened to the world and all you have to do is look at some people or even worse yet, get close to them to let you know the standards of being clean have really dropped. Well, this makes the place I live seem a little better and I am glad the OP is not stuck in this place forever as I am sure some probably are. http://www.ehow.com/facts_5730301_di...s-dog-cat.html and I have contracted diseases from dogs and cats over the years and I prefer your dogs and cats stay away from me and mine.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:02 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I actually feel sorry for the OP and also those who see more value in a dog than a child. The thread went off topic when service dogs were brought up as everyone knew that is not what the OP was talking about. I don't know what has happened to the world and all you have to do is look at some people or even worse yet, get close to them to let you know the standards of being clean have really dropped. Well, this makes the place I live seem a little better and I am glad the OP is not stuck in this place forever as I am sure some probably are. What Diseases Can Humans Get From Dog & Cat | eHow.com and I have contracted diseases from dogs and cats over the years and I prefer your dogs and cats stay away from me and mine.
no a problem. I like my cats and dogs to be around positive energy and love anyway.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:54 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
18389389]Veterans who have PTSD have dogs, they say it helps them maintain their life, without going into PTSD issues...would you say that a veteran with PTSD who has a verified service dog cannot bring that dog into the store?[/quote]

Vets with PTSD are supposed to have dogs that are trained to relieve the stressors and triggers of PTSD. They ARE trained to do a job unlike a "comfort" dog.

If a VET has a dog that is UNTRAINED then NO, that Vet has no business -----bringing that animal in public places.

BTW~
I am a Vet married to a man that spent over 23 years in the Army and who was Deployed several times.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:14 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Well, I can't object to a dog when some baby's crappy rear was in the seat at some point earlier.

Anyway, carts are filthy everywhere. I can't see how anything but the most filthy dog could make a shopping cart more dirty.

Last edited by 43north87west; 03-22-2011 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-24-2011, 06:11 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes, but why?

And if the service dogs can be there, why not other dogs?

It used to be fine here in the U.S. It's fine in other parts of the world.

Of course, most of us have bigger things to worry about than stupid laws that don't really matter.

When was it ever fine for any dog to be in a grocery store besides a service dog? Only in the last 10 yrs or so have I begun to see people taking their dogs into grocery stores.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:31 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
When I moved to FL, the mall was full of women pushing these specialized "baby" carriages, withdogs in them! At the mall. It was the craziest thing I ever saw. I am from Montana, and yes, we take our dogs everywhere in Montana, but not in a little bizarro baby carriage to the mall. Florida is the craziest dog place I have ever lived, they have little boutiques here where people buy organic dog food, and designer clothing for dogs, DOGS! At my job I was invited to a dog baby shower, for a new puppy, and a dog birthday party, and you were expected to bring gifts for the dog. People think dogs are children here. Maybe it is something in the water. So, taking a dog to the store is normal here. Taking your dog to dinner is normal here...Boca Raton should be re-named "yappy dog town". Everyone has a little yappy dog in their purse. I feel like this is another planet from what is "normal" in Montana compared to here.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:42 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
When I moved to FL, the mall was full of women pushing these specialized "baby" carriages, withdogs in them! At the mall. It was the craziest thing I ever saw. I am from Montana, and yes, we take our dogs everywhere in Montana, but not in a little bizarro baby carriage to the mall. Florida is the craziest dog place I have ever lived, they have little boutiques here where people buy organic dog food, and designer clothing for dogs, DOGS! At my job I was invited to a dog baby shower, for a new puppy, and a dog birthday party, and you were expected to bring gifts for the dog. People think dogs are children here. Maybe it is something in the water. So, taking a dog to the store is normal here. Taking your dog to dinner is normal here...Boca Raton should be re-named "yappy dog town". Everyone has a little yappy dog in their purse. I feel like this is another planet from what is "normal" in Montana compared to here.
It is a misguided biological urge to care for an "infant"... or else these folks have a tremendous need to look important and trendy in front of their friends. Either way- it's completely bizarre and grounds for psychiatric evalution.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:23 AM

324 posts, read 572,652 times
Animals are amazing.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:22 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
Animals are amazing.
I completely agree animals are amazing but why would anyone think their dog wants to get dressed up in clothes, put in a carrier and taken everywhere? I would be willing to be most dogs would prefer to be kept in a familiar setting and sorry a grocery isn't a dogs natural setting. JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness