Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:11 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Yes they lack the personal responsibility to control their diets. This doesn't mean that they will be non-compliant in other areas concerning their health.
Here is a big part of the problem. They don't seem to understand that proper diet is the foundation of good care in ALL areas. For example, how many seriously overweight people (male or female) are able to make themselves get proper exercise, or eat proper diet (veggies and fruit)

It all starts with taking good care of the physical body as best as one can. If they can't do that, there isn't a substitute. Medications can do just so much...not everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 12:27 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
You do understand that any oath, either a new version or the original version doesnt matter.. Doctors do this...
have you seen doctors going in front of a judge to do this??
I (oh, and I'm a woman, by the way) never stated that physicians go before a judge to swear the Hippocratic oath. However, there is an ethical duty that physicians are expected to uphold based upon the Hippocratic oath. Also, one of my best friends happens to be an OB/GYN and a version of the Hippcratic oath was sworn to at her graduation from medical school.

The issues of high medical malpractice insurance and malpractice lawsuit are a real issue but this is simply the nature of the specialty. Many things can go wrong during the gestation and birth of infants. An obese patient maybe a challenge but so is having an older patient or an extremely young patient or a patient with other medical issues. But I must say that any physician who turns away anyone except their "perceived" perfect patients is simply not a good doctor to begin with and has no business in a profession which is supposed to be helping the public with medical needs.

Attitudes like the one the OP was referring to is the reason that doctors can and do have their medical licenses revoked.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:52 PM

345 posts, read 474,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
The next time you go into a exam room, look at the width of the examing table.

Now, imagine the behind of some of these obese women on that table.

The bottom line is that MOST of them ( not all, some do have problems,) lack the personal responsibility to control themselves. And that type of person, pregnant or not, male or female, does not make a good patient. They seldom do what's best for their bodies. There is a limit to what a doctor can do if the patient does not take the primary responsibity for proper care.

My daughter is 225lbs. She doesn't eat fried food, red meat, chips, ... She eats salads, raw vegetables, and is now trying organic. She exercises about an hour a day. She has PCOS. The reality is that there are many more like her. Most, NOT SOME, obese people have medical issues - of whom many are undiagnosed.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Here is a big part of the problem. They don't seem to understand that proper diet is the foundation of good care in ALL areas. For example, how many seriously overweight people (male or female) are able to make themselves get proper exercise, or eat proper diet (veggies and fruit)

It all starts with taking good care of the physical body as best as one can. If they can't do that, there isn't a substitute. Medications can do just so much...not everything.

it actually starts with genetic issues.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

But I must say that any physician who turns away anyone except their "perceived" perfect patients is simply not a good doctor to begin with and has no business in a profession which is supposed to be helping the public with medical needs.
Well said.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:01 PM

593 posts, read 1,315,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I (oh, and I'm a woman, by the way) never stated that physicians go before a judge to swear the Hippocratic oath. However, there is an ethical duty that physicians are expected to uphold based upon the Hippocratic oath. Also, one of my best friends happens to be an OB/GYN and a version of the Hippcratic oath was sworn to at her graduation from medical school.
That is fine, that doesn't mean all school do the same, and also what about the student that didn't go to the graduation?
The AMA is the responsible body for making the ethics book for doctors.

Quote:

The issues of high medical malpractice insurance and malpractice lawsuit are a real issue but this is simply the nature of the specialty. Many things can go wrong during the gestation and birth of infants. An obese patient maybe a challenge but so is having an older patient or an extremely young patient or a patient with other medical issues. But I must say that any physician who turns away anyone except their "perceived" perfect patients is simply not a good doctor to begin with and has no business in a profession which is supposed to be helping the public with medical needs.

Attitudes like the one the OP was referring to is the reason that doctors can and do have their medical licenses revoked.
So just because he is a doctor it means we can't run his pratice the way he wants it??

Old 05-26-2011, 01:17 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadDad View Post
My daughter is 225lbs. She doesn't eat fried food, red meat, chips, ... She eats salads, raw vegetables, and is now trying organic. She exercises about an hour a day. She has PCOS. The reality is that there are many more like her. Most, NOT SOME, obese people have medical issues - of whom many are undiagnosed.
I also have PCOS - as does 6-10% of the adult female population in this country. Unfortunately, I have had doctors who have told me to "go to Weight Watchers" and diminish all of my efforts to lose weight rather than reading and listening to my classic presentation of PCOS. I ended up self-diagnosing, and getting a new doctor to confirm.

You can imagine what I think of these doctors who refuse whole categories of patients. It may be their right, but it certainly doesn't make it right.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadDad View Post
True, very true. The PCOS is a big problem with about 5-6% of women. However, did she get to be 225 lbs overnight? What did she do to try to control her weight when she was only ten pounds too much? At twenty pounds?

This is the problem, with both men and women, they wait. "One little____ (fill in blank to suit yourself) isn't going to hurt......but it does.

And yes, I know what I am talking about. It was only about 40 pounds too much, BP, 'way too high, it had to come off, but it was a fight!

It's about taking charge when the weight is just a little over. It takes only a little then. Maybe only a week or two. It boils down to only one thing....too much fat comes from too much of the wrong kind of food.

You can blame it on medical reasons, genetics or whatever, but the CONTROL of the situation needs to start long before it becomes too much for the average person to handle easily.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:50 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
True, very true. The PCOS is a big problem with about 5-6% of women. However, did she get to be 225 lbs overnight? What did she do to try to control her weight when she was only ten pounds too much? At twenty pounds?

This is the problem, with both men and women, they wait. "One little____ (fill in blank to suit yourself) isn't going to hurt......but it does.

And yes, I know what I am talking about. It was only about 40 pounds too much, BP, 'way too high, it had to come off, but it was a fight!

It's about taking charge when the weight is just a little over. It takes only a little then. Maybe only a week or two. It boils down to only one thing....too much fat comes from too much of the wrong kind of food.

You can blame it on medical reasons, genetics or whatever, but the CONTROL of the situation needs to start long before it becomes too much for the average person to handle easily.
When my PCOS kicked in, I gained 40 pounds in six months, without changing my habits at all. The doctor tested me for thyroid, which was normal, and then he seemed to be out of ideas. It took me another eight years to find out what my problem actually was - without any help from the several doctors I saw during that time.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
When my PCOS kicked in, I gained 40 pounds in six months, without changing my habits at all. ........ It took me another eight years to find out what my problem actually was - without any help from the several doctors I saw during that time.
Ok, you didn't change your habits.....and you gained 40 pounds. Don't you see that while you sensed that your doctor wasn't getting the correct answer for your problem, you needed to change your habits THEN not later.

That's what I am trying to get across. People, men and women both, put the pounds on and don't try to control it early. They think that nothing bad will happen with just a few extra pounds.

My doctor actually got so angry with me once, that he hung up the phone on our conversation. I had eaten a cheese sandwich and the salt intake had pushed my BP over the top. Yes, I had convinced myself that "just this once" one salty cheese sandwich wouldn't hurt. But it did! I think he finally got through to me by slamming that receiver down in my ear.

Fresh salads are great. But look at the calories in the amount of the oil in the salad dressing. Just cutting the amount in half can help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness