Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 09:57 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
for the record, acetaminophen has one of the safest profiles of any drug when taken according to the label. ibuprofen tends to be a better analgesic, but as with all NSAIDs (aspirin included), it can cause problems such as GI bleeds, even when taken at labeled dosages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Acetaminophen doesn't really work for headaches compared to ibuprophen. It does, however, reduce a fever in children and therefore has a use. Other than that, it is a menace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
I took Excedrin, which contained acetaminophen, and it worked. Same feeling when I took other things containing acetaminophen.
Headaches are relieved far better by ibuprophen and aspirin than acetominiphen. This has been tested ad nauseum. None of these products are safe to take over long periods. And, aceominiphen can ruin your liver, actually kill you whereas ibuprophen doses can be increased substantially with no short term adverse consequences.

Tylenol should be banned except for controlling children's temperature since it does not cause Reye's Syndrome. Otherwise, it is a menace. If they didn't have a good ad agency no one would ever use it for headaches.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:02 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
Quote:
ibuprophen doses can be increased substantially with no short term adverse consequences.
Depends on what you mean by "short term".

I know for a FACT your statement is not necessarily correct.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Depends on what you mean by "short term".

I know for a FACT your statement is not necessarily correct.
If you have a headache, a short term result would be a couple of doses. How long do your headaches last? More than a day? See a neurosurgeon or an acupuncturist. In any event, you are far better with an ulcer to deal with instead of liver failure.

i tell you the product would never be allowed on the market today for general use. It would be labeled as a children's drug for temperature reduction; its only legitimate therapeutic use. Thank a great ad agency, not drug researchers for its persistence.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:08 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,635,223 times
Well, I took aspirin and ibuprophen, but they were too weak and didn't do anything so I took excedrin.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:09 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I only take it, as an adult, when I am unlucky enough to have the 'flu. It greatly reduces the overall aches of the 'flu.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
Well, I took aspirin and ibuprophen, but they were too weak and didn't do anything so I took excedrin.

Hahaha. that's a good one. Of course, caffeine withdrawal might have been your problem. That is possible. Excedrin would be better for that. But since they have half as much aspirin and aspirin is far more effective at reducing headaches, maybe you should have tried the placebo instead.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I only take it, as an adult, when I am unlucky enough to have the 'flu. It greatly reduces the overall aches of the 'flu.
Aches of the flu are caused by the elevated temperature and systemic virus. They do not require a analgesic. Nothing works on the virus. So, Tylenol may have done that job for you. Aspirin would have done it better and faster. I tell you its been tested to death.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:59 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,635,223 times
Quote:
Hahaha. that's a good one. Of course, caffeine withdrawal might have been your problem. That is possible. Excedrin would be better for that. But since they have half as much aspirin and aspirin is far more effective at reducing headaches, maybe you should have tried the placebo instead.
I am telling you, aspirin didn't do anything for me, I had a STRONG headache, the one that hits you in the head every time you take a step.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:00 AM

523 posts, read 3,805,465 times
Quote:
whereas ibuprophen doses can be increased substantially with no short term adverse consequences
a single dose of ibuprofen, taken according to the label, can cause GI bleeding. in fact, the risk of GI bleeding increases in a dose-related fashion...so your post is factually incorrect on just about every level.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:23 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
You have to take a LOT of acetaminophen for it to effect your liver unless you are ingesting alcohol with it. Ibuprofen can cause stomach problems. I have had headaches from the age of 10 until present and I am now 50. Migraine, muscle tension and just garden variety mild pain. I rarely get the severe ones anymore but I do take my fair share of OTC's and prescription painkillers. Ibuprofen is my go to, if that does not work I piggy back it with some acetaminophen. That usually does the job. When it doesn't I break out the big guns - vicodin which has acetaminophen in it.
I have seen neurologists, GP's, my gynecologist, acupuncture, bio-feedback and meditation. I just get headaches. I treat them accordingly. I have never had a problem with acetaminophen and I have my liver levels checked yearly. Always normal. I have however had stomach problems and I attribute those to ibuprofen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness