Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 03:40 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I got the results of my ultrasound (multinodular goiter with nodules in both lobes) and my thyroid is enlarged. They are recommending a biopsy. Anyone have this done? Are they going to stick a needle in my throat? I am feeling faint just thinking about it.

I am very, very tired. I go to work, come home, and don't want to do much else.

the head of radiology did mine. She numbed the area first and it was uncomfortable but not painful. During the process she had to numb the area once more. Me being still was the hardest thing for me.
Good luck and don't stress over it or overthink it. It is what it is and you just have to deal with it OR let it go. Your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 11:37 AM

5 posts, read 10,679 times
Robotic Thyroidectomy is great. Had a nodule taken out with this and a year later a complete Thyroidectomy. Super quick recovery. Traveled from Texas to New Orleans to have it done. Moderator cut: need at least 10 other posts to make specific r4ecommendations

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-12-2013 at 03:10 PM..

Old 08-14-2013, 09:05 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Next step--going to see a surgeon on Friday. Endocrinologist recommending a thyroidectomy. Just looked up some info online and I they had an actual photo of a thryoidectomy in process--I am NOT a medically-inclined person who enjoys looking at our human insides. My head is still swimming at the thought of that photo. YUCK.

I want to get the surgery done so I can breathe and swallow normally again, but I'm a big fat wuss when it comes to medical procedures. The only surgeries I've ever had were a C-section and athroscopic knee surgery. The C was an emergency, so I had no time to properly worry in advance, and the knee thing was same-day. The thyroidectomy will put me in a hospital overnight.

THEY ARE GOING TO CUT MY THROAT OPEN!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH AAAAAAAHHHHH AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

OK, just had to let that out.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:57 AM

Robotic thyroidectomy doesn't cut your throat.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurena27 View Post
Robotic thyroidectomy doesn't cut your throat.
I know. I read about that. Not sure whether this surgeon does that or not. I meet with him tomorrow.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:50 PM

Research your options. You don't have to decide tomorrow. Listen to what he says, then go home and get on the internet. Where I went, they have people coming in from all over the US to have this done. You do pre-op Wed, have surgery Thursday and follow up with Surgeon Monday and then you go home. Back at work the following Monday if you want.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:59 PM

OK, I did read up on the robotic thyroidectomy. Very interesting (and the machine they use looks cool.) However, I could see immediately that I would not be a candidate. It is for removal of thyroids with nodules that are relatively small, less than 3cm. Mine are very large and causing difficulty breathing and swallowing because it is pressing around my trachea. The largest one extends back by my ear and down under my breastbone. The other two are on the other side, of the thyroid and somewhat smaller but still significant. Only one of them is smaller than 3 cm.

The main advantage of the robotic thyroidectomy seems to be that it does not leave a scar on your neck. The recovery time doesn't seem that different--surgeon says I'll be out of work a week.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:23 PM

The last surgery that I had was a complete Thyroidectomy and it was done with a facelift cut, in my hairline behind my ear. Your surgeon is probably very experienced though. It really is not a bad recovery at all. You will feel so much better once you get it out. Have you scheduled your surgery yet? Sounds like it needs to come out pretty soon, with it affecting your breathing. Always use your gut instinct. No one knows your body like you do. Keep your chin up.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurena27 View Post
The last surgery that I had was a complete Thyroidectomy and it was done with a facelift cut, in my hairline behind my ear. Your surgeon is probably very experienced though. It really is not a bad recovery at all. You will feel so much better once you get it out. Have you scheduled your surgery yet? Sounds like it needs to come out pretty soon, with it affecting your breathing. Always use your gut instinct. No one knows your body like you do. Keep your chin up.
Well, if I keep my chin up and tilt my head all the way back, I can breathe more easily!!! I can't walk around like that, though, because I'll trip over something.

Yes, this surgeon has done a number of these. He was highly recommended by the endocrinologist. I'm having it done in September. It's becoming annoying--feels as if there is a hand gripping my throat all the time.

Something he said threw me a little--my nodules are very visible in the front of my throat--I have large swellings. He said that as big as it is in the front, it's even bigger inside. No wonder everything's squashed in there!

Hypothryoidism runs in my family--a sister, my mother, and my late grandmother all had it. And I can remember my grandmother saying that her father's thyroid got so big that it had to be removed. That had to be a long time ago, but I guess I take after him.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:27 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,516 times
Iodine supplement.
You can paint it on your skin. Buy it at the drug store.
Or you can send for Lugol's solution.
I put a drop or two in my bread mix.
You could put a drop or 2 in your coffee or fruit juice.
It doesn't taste very good.
Some folks are taking 5 or more drops.
Too much too often can make you anemic. So spell of it from time to time.

J.CROW'S®, The usefulness of Iodine, Lugol's Solution of Iodine, USP, Lugol's, Lugol's Iodine,Lugol's Iodine Solutions 5% and 2.2%.Lugols iodine solution consisting of 5% iodide and 10% potassium iodine
WARNING: IODINE IN LUGOL'S SOLUTION
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness