Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 06:14 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know why the hormones in HRT can cause bloodclots, but the very same hormones that were coursing through the body before menopause do not?
I got a whopper of a bloodclot after only 3 months on HRT, but I don't know why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 02:22 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
HRT has some weird ingredients. Try natural remedies for menopause like black cohosh and even Estroven. Soy products also help alot.
I will never take HRT(pregnant mares urine, ick) when i get to that stage of life.
Avoid pharmaceuticals whenever possible. Their side effects are really bad for your health, like that blood clot! I hope you are ok now.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:59 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
I went on HRT a while back and got cramping and swelling in my legs. Had Xrays but didn't have a blood clot. I went off of them right away. I would also listen to PingSting. But I don't take soy products nor do I eat soy after reading about soy. But black cohost and even that Mexican yam is supposed to be good.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:54 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I'm OK now, but it was bad for awhile-on Coumadin for 2 years. No one should EVER take HRT. The discomfort of menopause only lasts a few years and its really no big deal (as long as you have a fan over your bed).

Old 09-12-2007, 08:42 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
I never was on HRT before during or after menopause. I have heard too many cancer stories over the years. I also refuse the 80mg aspirinreccomendation. I have had some drs get mad at me for refusing and some to agree with me.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:12 AM

blue, something better than the aspirin regimen is raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar in water a couple times a day. It's used for so many things. From relieving high blood pressure by thinning the blood, to ridding your body of joint pain, and so much more.

The info on soy floating around the internet, many people say it's someone trying to do away with soy as remedies, kind of like the fda trying to discredit herbs and natural alternatives to drugs. More info here: Independent news on natural health, nutrition and more

Old 09-13-2007, 06:18 AM

Pink,

I have read a lot of information on soy, and what bothers me about it is that it can cause thyroid problems. I have read this by health food people who also mention a few other foods that are also harmful for this reason, which is why I stopped taking soy. So I am not so sure that any group is trying to do away with soy because they want people on say, milk. Soy wasn't eaten in the orient except as soy sauce, because soy sauce was the only way that it didn't harm the body. Now-a-days they are also making other soy products in those countries, and they are getting thyroid problems. I will not say that what I am saying is the total truth, but that is how I remember it. And I will not say that the articles that I have read are the gospel truth, but they caused me to no longer eat soy.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:10 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
As for me, I just don'tt jump on the band wagon for any new supplement fad be it soy or garlic or whatever the news of the day is. I eat by the old fashioned 7 food groups that I learned many years in grade school. I get about everything I need there plus I spend enough time outside to get most of my vitanin d. I really don't worry that I drink five cups of coffee a day or that I have a sweet tooth..I have started taking calcium, because I am post menopausal and do have some osteoporous, but I don't focus on it..It is part of aging whether we like it or not I do plenty of exercise, and mostly weight bearing to keep in shape and have very little joint pain..

Old 09-13-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
Pink,

I have read a lot of information on soy, and what bothers me about it is that it can cause thyroid problems. I have read this by health food people who also mention a few other foods that are also harmful for this reason, which is why I stopped taking soy. So I am not so sure that any group is trying to do away with soy because they want people on say, milk. Soy wasn't eaten in the orient except as soy sauce, because soy sauce was the only way that it didn't harm the body. Now-a-days they are also making other soy products in those countries, and they are getting thyroid problems. I will not say that what I am saying is the total truth, but that is how I remember it. And I will not say that the articles that I have read are the gospel truth, but they caused me to no longer eat soy.
How would one know if they had a thyroid disorder? What are the symptoms? I always thought i had a problem with my thyroid, but each time i was tested, it came back negative.
I'll do more research on soy, thanks.

Last edited by PinkString; 09-13-2007 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: fixed typo

Old 09-14-2007, 04:32 AM

I was tested for thyroid. In the past whenever a doctor tested me I was fine. Then I went on soy products for a year and all the sudden I am not fine. I went off soy, and now I am fine. Coincidence? Maybe. But because I had read that soy messes up the thyroid I went off it. I really have no idea, and I rather liked the idea of eating soy. I didn't have any of the symptoms that I should have had but my thyroid problem was mild. So I don't know. They could test me again and I may not be okay in six months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness