Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 05:35 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,553,915 times

Advertisements

I had a mammogram about a month ago, and had to go back for an ultrasound. There was an "area of concern" that they want to monitor, so I'm going back in six months, and they also found several cysts.

Fast forward to yesterday at the gynecologist. She decided to do an ultrasound, and then proceeded to inform me that I have cysts in my uterus, and possibly a small fibroid. Umm, huh? I have to go back in three weeks when she can get a better view.

I'm going to be 49 years old in October. Obviously I'm not young. But until this moment I never felt old, either! I feel like a car that should be traded in for a newer model. So far these are minor problems, and I'm grateful to be as healthy as I am. But darn it, that immortality idea is hard to give up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 05:49 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,798,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I had a mammogram about a month ago, and had to go back for an ultrasound. There was an "area of concern" that they want to monitor, so I'm going back in six months, and they also found several cysts.

Fast forward to yesterday at the gynecologist. She decided to do an ultrasound, and then proceeded to inform me that I have cysts in my uterus, and possibly a small fibroid. Umm, huh? I have to go back in three weeks when she can get a better view.

I'm going to be 49 years old in October. Obviously I'm not young. But until this moment I never felt old, either! I feel like a car that should be traded in for a newer model. So far these are minor problems, and I'm grateful to be as healthy as I am. But darn it, that immortality idea is hard to give up!

you are 49 years young!!! Minor bumps in the road. Hope that's all you encounter on this journey through life.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:57 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,999,223 times
Aging is NOT for sissies!

Old 08-31-2012, 07:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post

Awwwww, been there done that - but my wake up call was at age 39 - ended up having a hysterectomy due to abnormal cells being shed from my uterus which also had a huge overgrowth of uterine tissue (they thought it was fibroids at first but it wasn't). The uterine tissue was also overloading my body with estrogen, which caused me to gain weight, and bleed about 24 days out of every month.

I was a hot mess!

Fast forward to now - at age 50. I look and feel better than I did at age 40! I've lost about 40 pounds since then and am not only healthier, I am much happier!

So - don't fret. You'll get thru this and it doesn't have to age you or throw a long term kink into your life. You've probably got DECADES of living ahead of you!

I've had to face that my skin isn't as taut as it once was, and that jogging hurts (so, as my doctor says, "If it hurts, stop doing it!"). I don't LOOK 30 years old anymore - but so what? My goal each day is to make the most of what I've got - keep fit, dress attractively, and keep my hair, nails, and skin in good condition. So far so good!

I think I understand how you feel. When I was 40, I remember clearly sitting in my doctor's office (during my annual exam which I always schedule around my birthday so I don't forget), and after she left the room to let me get dressed, I burst into tears. I was fat, unhealthy, and frumpy. I was in a miserable marriage. My teenagers were driving me crazy. I couldn't imagine a better life - I could only see all the overwhelming negatives.

Within three years all of that changed. I got divorced, my teens became adults and straightened out, I lost 50 pounds, and my real estate career took off. I met a fantastic man - the love of my life in fact - and we got married. Today I am SOOOOO happy! It's hard to believe I was ever that miserable person.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
They found an area of concern on a mammogram, 11 years ago. It was nothing.

I had cysts and huge fibroids and had a hysterectomy five years ago.

I'm fine. Nothing was life threatening. I just get a lot of cysts. I have others, as well. My grandmother was the same way. She chained smoke all of her adult life and lived to be almost 90. This too shall pass. Oh, and I will 51 in a few months and feel like I have a new lease on life since the lunatic husband left in January.

Chin up, girl!

Old 09-01-2012, 11:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Aging is NOT for sissies!
that is exactly what I told myself a few hours ago when I had to climb out of our deep, tub. I love my baths, but hate knowing my legs won't let me get in and out too much longer.

OP: you are not having any problems, many of us don't have along the road of life. You will be fine, I am sure. It is never fun to hear a doctor say, wow, I think you need to have this checked closer...

Old 09-01-2012, 05:49 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that is exactly what I told myself a few hours ago when I had to climb out of our deep, tub. love my baths, but hate knowing my legs won't let me get in and out too much longer.

OP: you are not having any problems, many of us don't have along the road of life. You will be fine, I am sure. It is never fun to hear a doctor say, wow, I think you need to have this checked closer...
When I was really fat and in bad shape, I bought a bath lifter for my soaking tub. It's battery powered, rises to chair height, you sit down, press the button and it sinks down into the tub. When you're done, press the button and it rises to chair height. Back then, in 2006, it cost $800. It allowed me to enjoy my new hydro tub.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:52 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,622,608 times
So I guess you learned that in the end, there could more than one?

Old 09-01-2012, 07:35 PM

88,594 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Ugh, I have to go for a mammogram. I had my last one ten years ago. I put off going to the doctor for years--I get so much anxiety about medical things and I already had quite a large share of anxiety going on already, and I just couldn't deal with it.

I haven't had any reason to go to a doctor, my old one retired and then died, and I moved sixty miles from where I lived. So, it was in my head that I had to find a doctor because I should. Anyway, I am under tons of stress from my job, and when I'm under stress I break out in patches of psoriasis, and I had some on my leg and must have scratched it--and the leg got infected and started to swell and swell. It wouldn't go away on its own, so I HAD to see a doctor. It's called cellulitis, and it's usually a mix of staph and strep. I'm on my third anibiotic--I've been on them since July 9, and it's finally going away. But, by that, I found a doctor through my health care website (and the irony is that I have cadillac health insurance) and while I was there to get the Fat Red Leg taken care of, she went through my history, pulled out the scrip pad and started writing scrips for mammogram, chest x-ray, colonscopy, bone density, labwork...she said get the leg fixed up first and then do the mammogram, and space everything out over the next few months so I get it all done by the end of the year. Bleh. I am getting the lab work done right away because I need to check my cholesterol/triglycerides, thyroid, etc. And then this is all going to mean more doctors--I am also overdue for a gynecologist, the endocrinologist, whatever. I just so dread what they are going to find.

I DO see my dentist and eye doctor regularly, hey!

Old 09-01-2012, 07:40 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,798,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ugh, I have to go for a mammogram. I had my last one ten years ago. I put off going to the doctor for years--I get so much anxiety about medical things and I already had quite a large share of anxiety going on already, and I just couldn't deal with it.

I haven't had any reason to go to a doctor, my old one retired and then died, and I moved sixty miles from where I lived. So, it was in my head that I had to find a doctor because I should. Anyway, I am under tons of stress from my job, and when I'm under stress I break out in patches of psoriasis, and I had some on my leg and must have scratched it--and the leg got infected and started to swell and swell. It wouldn't go away on its own, so I HAD to see a doctor. It's called cellulitis, and it's usually a mix of staph and strep. I'm on my third anibiotic--I've been on them since July 9, and it's finally going away. But, by that, I found a doctor through my health care website (and the irony is that I have cadillac health insurance) and while I was there to get the Fat Red Leg taken care of, she went through my history, pulled out the scrip pad and started writing scrips for mammogram, chest x-ray, colonscopy, bone density, labwork...she said get the leg fixed up first and then do the mammogram, and space everything out over the next few months so I get it all done by the end of the year. Bleh. I am getting the lab work done right away because I need to check my cholesterol/triglycerides, thyroid, etc. And then this is all going to mean more doctors--I am also overdue for a gynecologist, the endocrinologist, whatever. I just so dread what they are going to find.

I DO see my dentist and eye doctor regularly, hey!

dang,hope you feel better soon!! Are you stressed more over the mammogram than the colonoscopy?
Try to not stress but I know that is difficult. My doctor finally,finally has convinced me to get a colonoscopy and although I'm trying to not lose my mind over the stress of it---it's tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness