Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 09:50 PM

88,918 posts, read 85,450,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
dang,hope you feel better soon!! Are you stressed more over the mammogram than the colonoscopy?
Try to not stress but I know that is difficult. My doctor finally,finally has convinced me to get a colonoscopy and although I'm trying to not lose my mind over the stress of it---it's tough.
Well, the mammogram because she said get that first. I've had one of those before, and it wasn't too bad, but it's the afterward part of carrying the anxiety of waiting for them to call you and tell you that you're going to die that isn't all that pleasant.

At least for the colonoscopy they knock you out. I haven't had one before, but I'll do it--and only because they knock you out. I wouldn't do that conscious.

LOL, my old doctor retired, and he was my mother's doctor, and she went to the guy who took his practice. My mother was 81 at the time. The doctor looks at her chart and says, "Oh, I see you haven't had a colonoscopy. We'll schedule you for that." My mother says, "Ummm, no, I don't think so." The doctor looked surprised but my mother said, "Look, I'm not having any problems with that part of my body, and I think you people do too many invasive tests these days. I am 81 years old. I have kidney disease already. Just WHAT are you going to do if you find something in my colon at this point? There's no reason to get a colonoscopy and I'm not having one done." The doctor said, "Oh...OK" and never brought it up again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 11:20 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,842,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, the mammogram because she said get that first. I've had one of those before, and it wasn't too bad, but it's the afterward part of carrying the anxiety of waiting for them to call you and tell you that you're going to die that isn't all that pleasant.

At least for the colonoscopy they knock you out. I haven't had one before, but I'll do it--and only because they knock you out. I wouldn't do that conscious.

LOL, my old doctor retired, and he was my mother's doctor, and she went to the guy who took his practice. My mother was 81 at the time. The doctor looks at her chart and says, "Oh, I see you haven't had a colonoscopy. We'll schedule you for that." My mother says, "Ummm, no, I don't think so." The doctor looked surprised but my mother said, "Look, I'm not having any problems with that part of my body, and I think you people do too many invasive tests these days. I am 81 years old. I have kidney disease already. Just WHAT are you going to do if you find something in my colon at this point? There's no reason to get a colonoscopy and I'm not having one done." The doctor said, "Oh...OK" and never brought it up again.

it's waiting for the diagnosis that frightens me too.

LOL @ Your mom......love it!! And she spoke the truth!!!

Old 09-02-2012, 10:57 AM

6,587 posts, read 17,588,489 times
Thank you for the input, everyone! Btw, my gynecologist also recommended that I get a colonoscopy now, because an aunt and cousin (not parent/child) on my dad's side of the family both died from colon cancer in their mid to late 50s. I have an appointment with a colorectal surgeon on Tuesday to discuss this. When I saw him last year for another issue, he said they only worry if it's a direct relationship (parent, sibling, or child). Well, I don't want to wait a year to have peace of mind, thanks! From what I've heard, the prep is worse than the procedure, anyway.

@Mightyqueen801, I'm with your mom! If I were 81, I wouldn't be having any testing done, either.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:14 AM

289 posts, read 570,137 times
[quote=Mightyqueen801;25909656]Well, the mammogram because she said get that first. I've had one of those before, and it wasn't too bad, but it's the afterward part of carrying the anxiety of waiting for them to call you and tell you that you're going to die that isn't all that pleasant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am one of those unfortunate people for whom the "knockout" drugs might as well be m&ms. After two totally unsedated colonoscopies I told my doc either I have general anesthesia or I never have another procedure. Natural childbirth was a walk in the park compared to my colonoscopies! Luckily my insurance approved his request and all has been well since.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:38 PM

88,918 posts, read 85,450,301 times
[quote=bostonbarney;25914114]
Quote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am one of those unfortunate people for whom the "knockout" drugs might as well be m&ms. After two totally unsedated colonoscopies I told my doc either I have general anesthesia or I never have another procedure. Natural childbirth was a walk in the park compared to my colonoscopies! Luckily my insurance approved his request and all has been well since.
Oh, that's scary! Glad you were able to work something out.

I am SUCH a wuss. The only time I've been in a hospital is when I was born--which I don't remember, lol--and when I gave birth 21 years ago. I had an emergency C-section, and it STILL freaks me out that they cut me open. I'm glad my daughter was born alive, but I never felt so helpless and alone as I was lying in that hospital unable to feel my body from the waist down. Which was a good thing, I guess, because when the feeling returned--IT HURT LIKE HELL!!!!!!!! And they gave me morphine, which I remember fondly.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:42 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,145,574 times
Quote:

Hubby and I are 75 and we don't intend on doing the colonoscopy thing either. I have done it once. I am sure, when he goes to see his primary care dr tomorrow she will get on his case. Especially sinse he is a cancer survivor, but I doubt he will have it done. You reach an age when you have to weigh the benefits of certain tests. No, i am not saying we will never have any testing again, but there are some that seem a little meaningless. Everyone has to make his/her own decisions about when to stop being tested. Heck my dad even stopped having his colesterol checked when he reached his mid 80s.

Nita

Old 11-20-2012, 09:21 PM

6,587 posts, read 17,588,489 times
I did have the colonoscopy done, and everything was fine. Honestly, I'm not sure why so many people get SO upset over the prep. It's unpleasant, but far from the worst experience I've ever had. The worst part for me was the pounding headache I woke up with on the day of the procedure, due to dehydration. It felt like a wine hangover.

When I told my doctor I wanted photos (yes, I'm weird!), he said, "I think we can get a couple of pictures for you. After all, you'll want to send out holiday cards soon..." When I laughed, he said, "No?"

I do agree that when you reach a certain age (80, maybe?) that testing becomes rather ludicrous. Unless something weird happens, I'll probably live a long time, anyway. My father is going to be 80 in a few days, and my uncle on the same side of the family is going to be 90 in January! My grandmother lived to be 87.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:21 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,842,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I did have the colonoscopy done, and everything was fine. Honestly, I'm not sure why so many people get SO upset over the prep. It's unpleasant, but far from the worst experience I've ever had. The worst part for me was the pounding headache I woke up with on the day of the procedure, due to dehydration. It felt like a wine hangover.

When I told my doctor I wanted photos (yes, I'm weird!), he said, "I think we can get a couple of pictures for you. After all, you'll want to send out holiday cards soon..." When I laughed, he said, "No?"

I do agree that when you reach a certain age (80, maybe?) that testing becomes rather ludicrous. Unless something weird happens, I'll probably live a long time, anyway. My father is going to be 80 in a few days, and my uncle on the same side of the family is going to be 90 in January! My grandmother lived to be 87.

so thankful all turned out fine. Check that off the list for another few years.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:24 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,884,179 times
I have pictures of my sister's fundoplication surgery (no idea how to spell it). That's where they cut out a little piece of somethingorother, and create a new flap for the esophagus so that the fluids can't push up and cause acid reflux anymore. She had a hernia fixed in the same surgery so the photos were double-plus nifty

Sandy, don't let anyone tell you you're not immortal. It's just growing pains!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness