Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 07:12 PM

39 posts, read 135,336 times

Advertisements

My father is 69 and he has never been to a doctor in his whole life. He doesn't take any medication and has never done any tests/exams.

He never has any apparent health issues apart from the occasional common cold. He has never smoked and barely drinks any alcohol (only socially and always just a little bit of wine). He doesn't leave for work before taking a 45 minute dip in the pool at home. He has been very fond of swimming since I have memory.

He eats a more or less balanced diet. He likes soup and grilled fish and I'm sure the housekeeper (a wonderful lady who has been there for over 20 years) makes him eat his vegetables. She's a great cook. But he can't resist cakes and sweets nonetheless.

I know health care consumerism is a big problem but that's definitely not his case. My only concern is that despite the swimming, his belly keeps getting bigger. Apart from that, I can't forget that my mother also appeared to have the strongest health until she started coughing blood and died 7 months later of lung cancer at just 51.

Do you think I should suggest him to check at least the most basic things or is it pointless if he seems okay?

P.S. Ironically, he goes to the dentist every year for a check up because that's "advised".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 10:02 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
He needs a colonoscopy at the least. Colo-rectal cancer has few symptoms until it is very advanced. It is almost entirely preventable if caught when in the pre-cancerous stage.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:53 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
I would say leave him alone. Why go looking for trouble?

I don't "believe" doctors keep you healthy. Your lifestyle keeps you healthy.

I know certain medical procedures can prolong life, but if he has a TV, he knows this too and can go to a doctor or gets test and procedures anytime he wants - or not.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:28 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Wow, I can't believe that your father is that age and never been to a doctor, that is amazing. Is he having any pain or unusual symptoms? He probably should go to a doctor and get his blood pressure taken, get some blood work, and have a colonoscopy done.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:09 AM

638 posts, read 992,611 times
I use to work with a woman like that. She was in her 60's and did not go to a doctor or a dentist ever! She had never been married and had no children,so she didn't have to go to an ob doctor either. I couldn't believe it! She also was NEVER sick and had perfect attendance.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:30 AM

39 posts, read 135,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
He needs a colonoscopy at the least. Colo-rectal cancer has few symptoms until it is very advanced. It is almost entirely preventable if caught when in the pre-cancerous stage.
I thought about it as well. And the prostate of course. The way my father is though, I doubt he would ever accept doing those.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:50 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
A good friend of mine recently passed at 66 years old. Never had any serious illnesses, only usual aches and pains of getting older. Wasn't one to go to the doctors until about seven months ago. At that time was diagnosed with high blood pressure, immune anemia, diabetes, COPD and kidney disease. Died this month.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:54 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
JCatarre...he's a very, very healthy mature man...let him make his own decisians, he's probably healthy because he's so pro-active in his own health care, and if he wanted to see a doc I'm sure he would....and so far he's doing really well, why worry about what may, or may not come about..it's HIS life, and he should live it any way he wants.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:57 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,382 times
A classic sign of diabetes is belly weight.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:08 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
high blood pressure- the silent killer.

I can understand somebody not going to the doctor by age 40 or 45 but at his age he should be proactive and have some simple tests done. you would be doing him a favor to encourage him. is he afraid? some men are.

If he won't go to the doctor at least send him to an attorney to make sure his will is up to date. don't mean to be cruel but ignoring basic good check ups is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness