Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 01:31 PM

761 posts, read 445,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Li View Post
I see a lot of fat women but overall I see a lot of fat American men and women and this has to be the first time in all of my world travels that I have ever seen fat kids, like American kids.

What is the issue. I came here to go to Temple Uni for my PhD and the first thing I noticed about Americans is how big they are.
Phil, I was born here and when I was a preschool kid, overweight people were just a small percentage of the population. Now they make up the majority, about 2/3s of the population. And young kids are now being fed by their overweight/obese parents. So, many of the kids are overweight too.

Food companies come up with very tasty new products all the time and people become addicted to them. They damage their microbiome with these processed foods and as the microbes in their gut change, it makes them crave more. Then the food companies claim they are just providing people with what they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 04:35 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
I see a lot of fat women but overall I see a lot of fat American men and women and this has to be the first time in all of my world travels that I have ever seen fat kids, like American kids.

What is the issue. I came here to go to Temple Uni for my PhD and the first thing I noticed about Americans is how big they are.
Americans eat a lot of corn even when most “don’t eat corn” per se.
And wheat and soy.

Cows are fed corn - even if it is healthier for them to eat grass/hay
Pigs are fed corn
Chicken, etc are fed corn.

The corn, wheat and soy ”produces” huge Americans

Oh, yeah - we like eating - for fun- and we have money to do it!

Old 01-16-2022, 11:54 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
We're big because of crap diets, crap snacks, huge portions, and little exercise...

Old 01-16-2022, 01:39 PM

761 posts, read 445,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
it's very curious how the gov't began subsidizing grains and soybeans, then created a food pyramid that guided the public into allocating the majority of their daily intake to carbs. Was that an attempt to strengthen the market for carbs, as an assist to farmers? Even their new "revised" food pyramid still emphasized carbs.
Well, that was the U.S. Department of Agriculture (U.S.D.A.) and I believe they were set up mainly to promote U.S. agriculture.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Why+...l6EAwyCAghEBYQ

The above link tells the whole story in one sentence. Notice it includes the word nutrition but it doesn't say whether it would be good balanced nutrition or heavy on starches and processed carbs. So for many years it was heavy on starches and processed carbs.

I never paid much attention to it but I believe today, with "My Plate" they are making an effort to be more balanced.

It was founded in 1862 by President Abraham Lincoln. https://www.usda.gov/our-agency/about-usda/history

Old 01-16-2022, 01:47 PM

1,425 posts, read 663,047 times
We have great food here. We have food available from almost every culture in the world here! I will sacrifice just a few extra pounds for the smorgasbord of food I can enjoy.
The choices at my local grocery store are even impressive.
I do agree we are too big.

Old 01-16-2022, 02:03 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I'm an american, I need to lose around 25 lbs. Alot of my weight came on from not enough of the right kind of working out and stress. I am now over in a mediterranean area for the next year with my husband because of his work. The majority of the folks here are thin. I have seen very few obese people. What I have noticed is they walk alot, they do not have McDonalds, BK chinese restaurants etc., Their eating is much different than ours. I had to go into detox when I first got here as I couldn't find hardly any of the cooking products and snacks that we have back home.
Now, regarding "servings." When we go out to eat, they give us huge servings of food. Sometimes I cannot finish my dish and I will go to bed thinking...I bet I just put on 2 lbs I will wake up and have lost a little or stayed the same vs. back home gaining! They eat alot of vegetables here, things are cooked from scratch, alot of pasta and pizza dishes. The pizzas are not the big thick crust stuff and loaded with cheese. Their ice-cream tastes different. I think it is gelato or something like that! Fish is also big here.
Where are you exactly @tarragon? It sounds wonderful.

Old 01-16-2022, 05:04 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
Probably Italy.

Old 01-17-2022, 12:22 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Eating too much sugars and sedentary lifestyles

Donuts and ce cream taste better cauliflower and
Peas !!

Old 01-17-2022, 01:24 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:

Why are non-Americans so judgmental? And - astoundingly lacking in information?

Did you not spend at least an hour studying the USA before choosing to move here and study for your PhD? Did you not spend a few minutes reading about the culture here? I won't even bother asking what your primary field of study is - it's clearly not medicine, or you would already have the answer to that. And I'm sure it's not diplomatic relations, because if it were, you wouldn't be coming to a forum where -most- members are American, to ask why they're so fat.

Old 01-17-2022, 01:30 PM

310 posts, read 322,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Why are non-Americans so judgmental? And - astoundingly lacking in information?

Did you not spend at least an hour studying the USA before choosing to move here and study for your PhD? Did you not spend a few minutes reading about the culture here? I won't even bother asking what your primary field of study is - it's clearly not medicine, or you would already have the answer to that. And I'm sure it's not diplomatic relations, because if it were, you wouldn't be coming to a forum where -most- members are American, to ask why they're so fat.
He just made an observation which frankly is very true. We are a big people nation. The obesity rate in the U.S. is 36%. That is a lot of fat people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness