Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:56 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy508 View Post
As many others have mentioned, food that is highly processed, hormones and other pharmaceuticals given to animals used for food, portion size, and lack of physical activity contribute in a major way to the obesity problem in the U.S.
IMHO, there is also a huge emotional component, a need for immediate gratification, and the commonly accepted excuse of "I deserve it" which complicates the whole problem.
Permanently changing one's relationship w/ food is not easy but it is certainly possible. I think a lot of people make the mistake of "going on a diet" but w/out permanently changing what they eat. Once they go off whatever diet plan, many return to previous habits and the pounds lost are gained right back.
Losing weight and keeping it off is really difficult but the rewards are amazing.
-izzy
Right. People see the word diet as suffering - like eating celery sticks instead of real food. The best diet is one which you stay on for life - healthy food. When I hit my goal weight I slowly increased the calories daily until I found my maintenance amount. I eat the same food, just more than when I was losing. I gave all my 'fat' clothes to charity shops and I'm determined never to need them again.

I think maintenance is harder than losing. Most go back to previous bad habits which is why they gain back. But it can be done. 'Foodies' turn to food for comfort, pleasure, stress relief, depression. There needs to be another source of comfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 02:20 PM

61 posts, read 121,404 times
I just finished a great book researching the obesity epidemic. It's called "The Fat Switch". Turns out we humans have this fat storage "switch" just like animals who hibernate or go months without food, such as bears and whales and even migratory birds. It is a normal and necessary adaptation that enables them to store vast amounts of fat for the famine times.

We have the same switch, that we evolved to carry us through famines as well. It is activated through fructose which is present in not only fruits, but especially in fruit juices and any sugary product, and in starches which all break down into fructose. So the body gets the signal "store fat"---rough times ahead! The switch causes insulin levels to rise and people become insulin and leptin-resistant. Their "switch" is always on, causing fat storage.

In previous decades, not all this fructose-laden non-food was available. Whole fruit is OK as the fiber slows the sugar digestion...and of further interest is that real "fats" (not trans-fats, but healthy fats like avocados, nuts, olive oil, fat from healthy meats) does NOT activate the fat-storage switch. When sugar and all its by-products became affordable in the 1900's, weight starting creeping up. Prior to that, being fat was a rich man's problem.

Emerging research seems to indicate that avoiding all these fat-switch foods will deactivate the fat-storage signaling and instead fat will be burned. Of course, this is really tough, as most of us enjoy breads, sweets, all manner of grains. I've been slowly weaning myself off most of them and over 3 years have gone from 165 (my weight all of my adult life) to 128...also eating just one meal a day, around noon. I recently found out this is called "Intermittent Fasting" and also helps to trigger the fat-burning switch, as we evolved without regular meals, and often had no food for periods of time.

And I exercise way LESS than I used to, just enough now for health. But, I have a physically demanding job too, half the year. The other half I'm pretty indolent. Eating is 80% of weight loss....exercise only 20%...though fantastic for health reasons.

At this job, I observe the French eating HUGE portions, even though I know they are not used to that. Each will eat their own appetizer (Americans almost always share), their own entree, and their own dessert (again, Americans share). AND this is after cocktails AND wine. They clean their plates, even while mentioning our huge portions. Talk about the French Paradox!

Almost everyone I work with is overweight to varying degrees and there is alot of "fat acceptance". I grew up in an era where you hid your fat rolls....but these girls are wearing Spandex and letting those belly rolls just hang out shamelessly. Obesity is the precurser to SO many diseases, it is really scary!

Old 10-30-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrrMade View Post
I just finished a great book researching the obesity epidemic. It's called "The Fat Switch". Turns out we humans have this fat storage "switch" just like animals who hibernate or go months without food, such as bears and whales and even migratory birds. It is a normal and necessary adaptation that enables them to store vast amounts of fat for the famine times.

We have the same switch, that we evolved to carry us through famines as well. It is activated through fructose which is present in not only fruits, but especially in fruit juices and any sugary product, and in starches which all break down into fructose. So the body gets the signal "store fat"---rough times ahead! The switch causes insulin levels to rise and people become insulin and leptin-resistant. Their "switch" is always on, causing fat storage.

In previous decades, not all this fructose-laden non-food was available. Whole fruit is OK as the fiber slows the sugar digestion...and of further interest is that real "fats" (not trans-fats, but healthy fats like avocados, nuts, olive oil, fat from healthy meats) does NOT activate the fat-storage switch. When sugar and all its by-products became affordable in the 1900's, weight starting creeping up. Prior to that, being fat was a rich man's problem.

Emerging research seems to indicate that avoiding all these fat-switch foods will deactivate the fat-storage signaling and instead fat will be burned. Of course, this is really tough, as most of us enjoy breads, sweets, all manner of grains. I've been slowly weaning myself off most of them and over 3 years have gone from 165 (my weight all of my adult life) to 128...also eating just one meal a day, around noon. I recently found out this is called "Intermittent Fasting" and also helps to trigger the fat-burning switch, as we evolved without regular meals, and often had no food for periods of time.

And I exercise way LESS than I used to, just enough now for health. But, I have a physically demanding job too, half the year. The other half I'm pretty indolent. Eating is 80% of weight loss....exercise only 20%...though fantastic for health reasons.

At this job, I observe the French eating HUGE portions, even though I know they are not used to that. Each will eat their own appetizer (Americans almost always share), their own entree, and their own dessert (again, Americans share). AND this is after cocktails AND wine. They clean their plates, even while mentioning our huge portions. Talk about the French Paradox!

Almost everyone I work with is overweight to varying degrees and there is alot of "fat acceptance". I grew up in an era where you hid your fat rolls....but these girls are wearing Spandex and letting those belly rolls just hang out shamelessly. Obesity is the precurser to SO many diseases, it is really scary!
Interesting. I have to add though that exercise is for much more than weight loss/maintenance. Exercise increases stamina, builds bone density, building back/ab/core muscles decreases the risk of injuries, tones the body, strong heart, strong lungs.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:58 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,533 times
Default Pizza is a vegetable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
We might have gone to school the same decades. I'm 60. When I was a kid you occasionally saw a chubby child but rarely an obese one. We all got lots of exercise playing. Most of us had mothers who stayed home and cooked from scratch. Families can't afford that luxury now. There weren't a lot of fast food places around when I was a kid and I think I went to my first fast food place in high school.

I'm extremely worried about 2 family members who are very obese and the impact on their health. I can't say anything - they won't listen/change and they'll get annoyed if I stick my nose in. Sigh. Preschool type II diabetes resulting from obesity/bad diet has grown dramatically recently. That is scary.
"Who needs leafy greens and carrots when pizza and french fries will do?"

Pizza as a Vegetable? Congress Proposes New School Lunch Bill | Fox News

Thats the attitude we are dealing with so where do I even start. Adults can & should make healthier choices but what about the kids?? What kind of message we are sending them by filling the school cafeteria with this junk. Some public schools in chicago want to stop kids from bringing lunch from home so that their cafeteria can do good business. We are still caught in the debate of 'fat could be healthy' instead of fighting this harmful epidemic together as a society. We need to agree unanimously that processed foods are bad & stop buying them altogether. These junk foods are supplied to us because 'we' buy them. There are so many groups & misguided overweight people that still argue fat is healthy. We try to save money on groceries by buying cheap canned/boxed heavily processed foods instead of fresh produce. But we pay so much more to the pharmaceutical companies to treat us from obesity related diseases. By spending more on quality foods, the health costs come down tremendously. People dont invest in good health that can save us so much money. We just see short term savings, not long term disasters.

I feel so bad & scared for the young generation. They got hit the worst by this junk food craze. The vending machines, soda machines & cafeterias on school premises are poisoning the kids. Its the adults who have to stand up for them & teach them good nutrition. But we are still not convinced ourselves that obesity is a disease. It needs to be officially declared as a disease & an epidemic. Limit the ads for processed foods & promote vegetables & fruits. I have not even seen a single ad on tv for fresh produce. All the ads are for sugary cereals, juices, sodas & anything loaded with carbs & sugars. These companies make huge profits because people buy their products. So we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
"Who needs leafy greens and carrots when pizza and french fries will do?"

Pizza as a Vegetable? Congress Proposes New School Lunch Bill | Fox News

Thats the attitude we are dealing with so where do I even start. Adults can & should make healthier choices but what about the kids?? What kind of message we are sending them by filling the school cafeteria with this junk. Some public schools in chicago want to stop kids from bringing lunch from home so that their cafeteria can do good business. We are still caught in the debate of 'fat could be healthy' instead of fighting this harmful epidemic together as a society. We need to agree unanimously that processed foods are bad & stop buying them altogether. These junk foods are supplied to us because 'we' buy them. There are so many groups & misguided overweight people that still argue fat is healthy. We try to save money on groceries by buying cheap canned/boxed heavily processed foods instead of fresh produce. But we pay so much more to the pharmaceutical companies to treat us from obesity related diseases. By spending more on quality foods, the health costs come down tremendously. People dont invest in good health that can save us so much money. We just see short term savings, not long term disasters.

I feel so bad & scared for the young generation. They got hit the worst by this junk food craze. The vending machines, soda machines & cafeterias on school premises are poisoning the kids. Its the adults who have to stand up for them & teach them good nutrition. But we are still not convinced ourselves that obesity is a disease. It needs to be officially declared as a disease & an epidemic. Limit the ads for processed foods & promote vegetables & fruits. I have not even seen a single ad on tv for fresh produce. All the ads are for sugary cereals, juices, sodas & anything loaded with carbs & sugars. These companies make huge profits because people buy their products. So we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:40 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
you can put all the nutritious food in schools you want, you know what the kids do with it? They throw hordes and hordes of food away because they simply won't eat the healthy food. They'll just eat the roll off of the lunch, throw the rest away, and then wait until they get home to load up on chips and soda while playing video games/surfing the internet before dinner. It all starts at home. Parents need to force/teach their kids to learn to eat healthy. Too many parents are lazy slobs that would rather pack their kids food that comes from a package that is loaded with artificial fats, preservatives, sugar, salt, and other crap than actually fix them something from scratch everyday. Kids are like pets, if you can't feed or raise them properly, maybe you shouldn't have one.

You can be damn sure that if I ever have a kid, there will be absolutely NO soda in my house, and as little food that comes in a package as possible.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
you can put all the nutritious food in schools you want, you know what the kids do with it? They throw hordes and hordes of food away because they simply won't eat the healthy food. They'll just eat the roll off of the lunch, throw the rest away, and then wait until they get home to load up on chips and soda while playing video games/surfing the internet before dinner. It all starts at home. Parents need to force/teach their kids to learn to eat healthy. Too many parents are lazy slobs that would rather pack their kids food that comes from a package that is loaded with artificial fats, preservatives, sugar, salt, and other crap than actually fix them something from scratch everyday. Kids are like pets, if you can't feed or raise them properly, maybe you shouldn't have one.

You can be damn sure that if I ever have a kid, there will be absolutely NO soda in my house, and as little food that comes in a package as possible.

DANG, YOU GOT THAT RIGHT.

My kids are 30, 28, 26, 24 and 19. Not a fat or even remotely overweight one in the bunch - they never have been. I did not EVER buy sodas, or junk food, or white bread, or overly processed foods when they were growing up. We just didn't have that stuff in the house. We also didn't eat fast food. Pizza was a treat about once a month. Sure, I had some sweets around the house, but I made them myself.

I pushed those kids out the door to play outside - to use their imaginations and their muscles - to run and jump and ride bikes and play basketball, you name it. Not a single one of my kids is athletic, but every one of them is active physically.

I am pleased to say that they have continued most of these good habits as they've started their own families. So now my grandkids are eating healthier than their peers, and at ages 10-2 there's not a chubby one in the bunch.

That makes me feel really good. I can't stress starting your kids on these habits firmly enough! PLEASE don't feed your kids junk! PLEASE don't let them sit around watching TV or playing video games!

Old 10-30-2012, 09:14 PM

741 posts, read 1,679,498 times
MY sediments exactly to the previous 2 posters above me..The only thing that I have done wrong is buy soda..I love soda..But I am a vegan and my kids are VERY educated as far as nutrition and vegetable protein..2 are classified as overweight, but they are still growing..They don't get packaged food or anything..they get homemade Kale chips

When I say overweight I mean one is 17 and he is 6'4" maybe even 6'5" now and still growing..plays football and has a freaking appetite from hell

Old 01-15-2022, 10:12 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
What people forget comparing NOW to THEN. In 1950s and even 1960s, we didnt have subsidized commodities. Average working man's family couldnt afford massive quantities of any food. Anything made of corn, wheat, soybeans wasnt super cheap. Yea grain cheaper than steak but not cheap-cheap. Then we got Tricky Dickie as prez and his Secretary of AG, Earl Butz. Get big or get out philosophy, basically cheapening some commodities through subsidies, to such an extent you needed to farm half a county to make realistic income. But hey cheap food always popular with the rabble, right? Right around this time food processors switched from sugar to HFCS cause it was made from subsidized corn so cheapest sweetener by far.

Food processors came on board with all foods becoming heavily dependent on food components from these subsidized foods, cause the cheaper the inputs, the cheaper the product, the more profit, this including most meat fattened on subsidized grain.

Anyway what you sow, so shall you reap. Massive size starchy diet will fatten you up just like it does those confined animals fattened for market. Its not lack of exercise, cause frankly short of training program for pro-athelete that required constant exercise, you will find even burning off excess calories in one fast food meal would be impossible. High carb diets frankly dont send the signal to your brain that you are FULL and need to stop eating. I used to eat a diet high in unprocessed grains, yep didnt stop eating until I became physically uncomfortable, having to "loosen my belt". Eliminated grain to deal with diabetes, more of my calories from dietary fat, it was soon very apparent I needed far less food to feel full. No loosening my belt. Anymore its like I have to remind myself I need to eat something and only eat two meals a day, cause frankly just couldnt choke down a third.

Best thing we could do for world health is to eliminate farming subsidies, let the real cost of food limit consumption. Like it did back in the 'good ole days' Also less incentive to buy subsidized starchy foods. Course the food processors would never allow this, they have based their entire business plan on it and discovered wonders like "bliss point" with just the amount sweetener to maximize consumption. Make it more or less sweet and people eat less..... Its all become engineered max consumption. We are the Borg, resistance is futile!

Old 01-15-2022, 10:27 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
it's very curious how the gov't began subsidizing grains and soybeans, then created a food pyramid that guided the public into allocating the majority of their daily intake to carbs. Was that an attempt to strengthen the market for carbs, as an assist to farmers? Even their new "revised" food pyramid still emphasized carbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness