Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 04:07 PM

92 posts, read 112,454 times

Advertisements

10 years ago the question was asked,they have all lost the weight since or maybe not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2022, 07:31 PM

658 posts, read 724,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You're probably looking at people (in neighborhoods) on the lower economic scale. Obesity correlates inversely with income. Go to a mall in a high rent neighborhood. Lots of hot women there.
Wow, interesting how you equate people who are heavier as not being "hot". Which isn't true. Also not true that heavier males are also not attractive.

Old 01-18-2022, 01:09 AM

1,655 posts, read 779,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I used to eat like a typical American. At 5' 10", I was 190 lbs or so. I looked "normal" -- not fat, but a little pudgy, a bit of meat on the bones, as they say. I didn't try to lose weight. Instead, I just decided to actually be healthy. I did some research and discovered what food I was supposed to eat and what portions I was supposed to eat them in. And then I got REALLY crazy. I actually decided to take the expert advice and do what doctors and scientists recommend I do.

I've always been active -- even at 190, I ran four or five times a week. I keep that up. I run most mornings and lift weights most nights. I'm not a gym rat. I just like to be healthy.

Lo and behold, once I started treating my body as it was supposed to be treated, the pounds melted off. I still have plenty of muscle. My wife is the only person who sees me in various states of undress on a regular basis. I ask her if I'm too thin. She says nope and knocks my chest which is bigger than a lot of "normal" aka fat guys, grips my biceps (which are thicker than many guys my height who are 200 lbs+ ... the difference being theirs looks like flabby meat and mine look like skin stretched over muscle. I can probably bench press more than them too.)

I'm not trying to be vain with these statements. I realize it can sound that way. But I didn't start out trying to acheive any sort of look. I just decided I didn't want to die at 52 of colon cancer like my dad did, so I should probably take the advice of nutritionists and doctors seriously. My dad didn't look obese either... in fact, he looked "normal." He was about 185 at 5' 9" ... 36 inch waist (mine is 29 inches). He looked "healthy" by American standards. Too bad American standards are RIDICULOUS.

I get told almost once a day that I'm too thin or skinny by people who are 25 to 30 lbs overweight. Should I compromise my health and gain 30 lbs myself so I can "fit in"?

Nah... I think I'll stick with Paul Ryan and not follow the pack on this one. (I note his dad died young too.. he probably drew some of the same conclusions I did about fitness... wish more Americans would follow our lead... that would probably do wonders for our health care system.)

I don't dislike fat people. Most of our friends are fat.. I'm getting a bit annoyed by being told that I'm too thin by them though.... since I am well within the recommended weight guidelines for my height and my frame.
I’ve had a lot of “thin shaming” in my life too. In fact it gave me a festering case of BDD that lasted many, many years. In reality though, at 140-150 lbs I was extremely healthy and should’ve never felt shame. I think a lot of people believe all “men” should weigh at least 200+ to not look unhealthy/weak. This is really some disturbed thinking though….probably because our perception of normal has been skewed so much over the last 30-40 years.

BMI says a 5’10 man could weigh anywhere between 129 and 174. Even at 174 though I had people telling me I was skinny. I think about 185 or 190 was when I stopped getting told how slim I was. I’m not sure how much I could’ve weighed before people would’ve thought I stood out as heavy. At 210-215 (and not exercising) I had family telling me I looked better than ever and “filled out”. I was walking around about all day with my gut sucked in a little though. In the south where I live…I’m guessing I could’ve got to 240+ before people would’ve said I was looking overweight. By that point I would actually be obese and at least 70+ lbs overweight.

Imagine being told that when you become obese you finally “look good/healthy/filled out”. I’ve now began realizing that when it comes to health, the opinions of what others think looks good has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited by GoAmericaGo; 01-18-2022 at 01:18 AM..

Old 01-18-2022, 04:30 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,038,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
He just made an observation which frankly is very true. We are a big people nation. The obesity rate in the U.S. is 36%. That is a lot of fat people.
Agreed.

And this "it's expensive to eat healthy" stuff is a huge exaggeration. Processed foods are't cheap either. Soda isn't cheap, and it's not necessary.

Oatmeal is cheap. Bananas are cheap. Canned beans of all kinds are .53 a can at my local WalMart grocery store. Brown rice is not that expensive.

Meat is expensive, and we don't need to eat nearly as much of it as we think we do.

And when you eat whole foods, you don't need to eat as much because you feel full sooner.

I think someone else said in the thread that most healthy foods are actually what peasants at 100 years ago. People of 100 years ago learned to eat cheaply and nutritiously, and so can Americans--if they choose to do so.

There are a gazillion healthy and good tasting recipes you can find online that are not that difficult to make. Here are a few of my favorites:

Sweet Potato Stir Fry:
https://tasty.co/recipe/sweet-potato-stir-fry

Moroccan Chicken and Couscous Soup:
https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/...-couscous-soup

Israeli Couscous and Eggplant:
https://www.seriouseats.com/eggplant...ouscous-recipe

Greek Red Lentil Soup:
https://www.themediterraneandish.com...l-soup-recipe/

Smoky Red Lentil Stew:
https://thefirstmess.com/2018/04/04/...-vegan-recipe/

Old 01-19-2022, 09:19 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,520,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I went to this link to find the recipe, where is it? Do I have to watch a 6 minute video and write down the ingredients? Maybe I just missed it? Thanks for any info!

oops, I saw the link! https://www.themediterraneandish.com...-recipes-31679

Old 01-23-2022, 08:28 AM

10,921 posts, read 7,450,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

Oatmeal is cheap. Bananas are cheap. Canned beans of all kinds are .53 a can at my local WalMart grocery store. Brown rice is not that expensive.

Those are all carbs. Yes, carbs are cheap, but eating lots of carbs makes your blood sugar spike, and your body store the calories as fat.

Sadly, they are also widely available, and processed with salt, sugar (more carbs) and fat to make them taste sooooooo good.

Old 01-23-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I went to this link to find the recipe, where is it? Do I have to watch a 6 minute video and write down the ingredients? Maybe I just missed it? Thanks for any info!

oops, I saw the link! https://www.themediterraneandish.com...-recipes-31679
Glad you got it! I really like that lentil soup, but I like the Smoky Red Lentil Stew even better.

Old 01-23-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Those are all carbs. Yes, carbs are cheap, but eating lots of carbs makes your blood sugar spike, and your body store the calories as fat.

Sadly, they are also widely available, and processed with salt, sugar (more carbs) and fat to make them taste sooooooo good.
It's only refined carbs that are the problem. If you don't buy instant oats, you're fine. Same with rice. It needs to be brown rice, not white rice. Also adding cinnamon (another healthy spice) to oatmeal or rice, you can reduce any potential spike in blood sugar. Because beans, rice, and non-instant oatmeal have fiber in them, they prevent spikes in blood sugar that come with refined foods like white bread and white rice.

Old 01-23-2022, 11:42 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,277,758 times
The OP is probably back in his home country for many years since the original post was ten years ago. Despite his observations about Americans, I'm sure he is missing the ability to have foods of any ethnic origin delivered to his home very quickly should he so desire.

Old 01-23-2022, 12:37 PM

7,472 posts, read 3,599,293 times
We obviously have access to too much food. If only things were more perfect, we would be required to wear health monitors that connect to our electronic health records. That way, we would get alerts when we are overdoing it and healthcare providers can monitor our purchasing of foods. I bet if our eating was more regulated, people would live longer, be healthier, and reduce healthcare costs. Plus, it would force many restaurants out of business which would be prime real estate to put high density, small square foot/windowless housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness