Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 05:03 PM

713 posts, read 3,437,972 times

Advertisements

A while back I was sick and decided to pay a visit to my local doctor to see what was up. Was prescribed Amoxicillin and for the past three days the medicine did not seem to cause any harm or pain. Until today!!!! I made the mistake of taking the medicine on an empty stomach that had just drinking a coka. Within 5 minutes I had stomach pain and then a few minutes after that I had liquid diarrhea. I was suffering from extreme nausea and after an hour and a half finally threw up. Not just once but 7 TIMES in a row did I throw up!! Hurt a lot after that and was all sweaty but all the pain went away so I was like, "YAH!!"! But within 2 hours my stomach pain had returned and I sit here in front of my computer feeling awful and in pain!

Do any of you guys now how long this is going to last!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 05:51 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,335 times
I made the same mistake once. After I threw up I felt better shortly after. But I didn't feel 100% until several hours later.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:02 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Yep, strong antibiotics on an empty stomach = problems for some. Even when taken with food, some still are not able to take this med due to side effects.

Have you tried to eat a bit-maybe Saltines or toast? Try to get a little something down if possible...

I would stop taking the med until I could speak with MD.

..and if you continue with worrisome pain/discomfort, call in to your MD office...hopefully the MD on call will contact you...
then there is the hospital ER for unrelenting severe pain or symptoms.

Sorry dude-feel better soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
A while back I was sick and decided to pay a visit to my local doctor to see what was up. Was prescribed Amoxicillin and for the past three days the medicine did not seem to cause any harm or pain. Until today!!!! I made the mistake of taking the medicine on an empty stomach that had just drinking a coka. Within 5 minutes I had stomach pain and then a few minutes after that I had liquid diarrhea. I was suffering from extreme nausea and after an hour and a half finally threw up. Not just once but 7 TIMES in a row did I throw up!! Hurt a lot after that and was all sweaty but all the pain went away so I was like, "YAH!!"! But within 2 hours my stomach pain had returned and I sit here in front of my computer feeling awful and in pain!

Do any of you guys now how long this is going to last!!

Old 12-12-2012, 06:22 PM

713 posts, read 3,437,972 times
Thanks everyone, I have started to feel better thanks to drinking a soft drink. I will never do that again!! Literately felt like I was going to die since I got a low fever and my heart started to accelerate. I took a look at the paper that came with the medicine and right there in bold letters under common side effects, Nausea, Diarrhea, and Vomiting.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:15 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Part of what antibiotics do is kill off the good bacteria that lives in the gut. That's why they can cause stomach upset. You can try eating yogurt and see if that helps. Eat something when you take your pill, even a slice of bread will help.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 99,558 times
Default How we solved this problem.

12 year old, strep throat, amoxicillian. After 6 days, extreme stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhea, nausea.
Dr. said ok to go off amoxicillian.
Out of school for 1 and 1/2 months. Anxiety due to nausea and going back to school. Switched to home schooling.
We stopped all dairy. Daily schedule. Wake up. Rate the pain and nausea on a scale of 1 - 10 (ten being highest) writing it down in a food log giving him a sense of control and monitoring his emotional well being as this gets really stressful.
First thing in the morning:
2 gravol non drowsy with ginger
Wait until hungry. No water or anything until he actually felt hungry.

When hungry, could be as late as 11am.
20 mg pantoprazoli protein pump inhibitor. Slows down production of acid. Prescription required.
2 acidophilious refrigerated kind.
3 antacids before attempting to eat Align yogurt (at least one spoonful) for breakfast.
Mix into the Align yogurt 2 packages of Florastor (5 billion probiotic live active cultures for kids Saccharomyces boulardii Lyo)
Wait for lunch. Hope he doesn't vomit.
By 1pm the nausea was down to a 4 and pain 2.
Lunch peanut butter on brown bread. Blueberry tea and honey to reduce stomach lining inflammation.

Supper at 5:30pm.
Wonton soup. The chicken broth was the most soothing thing for his stomach. He would also eat this for lunch.
As time went by he could eat anything but spicey food for supper.
Right after supper:
1 acidophilious
1 align
20mg pantoprazoli
Nothing after 6pm.
9:30 pm 2 antacids and 1 12 hour gravol. Bed!
He slept for 14 hours. This is the first time in over 40 days he didn't wake up nauseous or dry heaving.
We will continue this for a few more days and then stop the 12 gravol.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 90,221 times
Default To Wendi

Please just be aware in regarding your son, Peanut butter and corn are the highest causing allergy foods there are and giving him peanut butter when he is having all these reactions may actually cause more symptoms. Try giving him almond butter from health food store. They both, peanut butter and corn, have very high doses of mold. Not good if you are also doing antibiotics. Also try grapefruit seed extract liquid drops from Nutribiotics. You put 10 drops in water or juice (I use carrot juice helps with the taste) 1-3 times per day. This has helped a lot with me along with the liquid probiotics. Hope this helps. Debby

Old 04-09-2015, 01:36 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,989,910 times
Sometimes, a particular antibiotic just won't "agree" with you...I can't take the "mycins", but the "cillans" are fine!

Old 04-10-2015, 09:02 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,447 times
Default 2 months ago....

I took an antibiotic on an empty stomach and it felt like someone punched me in the gut. the best thing you can do is have a greek yogurt. the yogurt will replace the "good bacteria" that is lost from taking the antibiotic. within 5 minutes of eating some yogurt, my abdominal/stomach pain was gone.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:13 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,207 times
You should always take a probiotic or eat a lot of yogurt after a round of antibiotics. The antibiotics wipe out the good bacteria in your gut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness