Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:06 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,271 times

Advertisements

As a bodily injury claims adjuster, I can tell you that you can still make a claim even though you did not immediately go to the er. I have plenty of claims in which people refuse treatment because they are not sure, and end up going to their primary physician a few days later. If you don't feel it's serious enough to 'clog' up the er, but aren't sure if you're ok, go to your primary and get checked out. It's most likely whiplash, but you want to be sure you don't have a concussion or anything. We do sometimes see not going to the er as a mitigator, but we do also understand that you don't always feel the pain right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 11:16 AM

168 posts, read 314,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
You can pay for health insurance but chose not to get it??? Very odd. Never been to a doctor???? Goes to work with the flu so he can infect his co-workers. What kind of job do you have that makes it so demanding you can't even be out sick with the flu or a car accident?
Yes, never been to the doctor in my life, therefore I never made time to get over with all the insurance bureaucracy. I've got all my vaccines though.

I'm a project manager engineer for Balfour Beatty. When I got the flu, I had two very important meetings that day. I really couldn't miss it.

Any Balfour Beatty project involves millions, it's not something that you can play around with.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
While I understand that your co-workers are depending on you, so you can't take the time to get checked.....I just have to ask.....what would they do if you just dropped dead one day? Isn't there anyone there that could keep things going?

If not, then you have an obligation to everyone there to train someone to step in and take over in case something ever happens to you.
I have two superiors in my office. The most senior one is away 80% of the time, he spends most of his time in the air. The other one is currently on paternity leave and he's also away very often. Everyone else (30 people in the department) is below me and since the other two aren't usually there, everyone is dependent on me.

If I dropped dead...well, one of my seniors would have to spend more time there until they got a replacement.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:41 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
OMG - Balfour Beatty has good health benefits and you opted out?

You may be young and currently healthy, but one moment of bad luck or scary genetics creeping up on you and you will end up broke.

Next open enrollment, you need to reevaluate your health care.

Honestly, if you can't see the benefits/risk of personal healthcare, you would scare me as a PM. I suspect Risk Management, Quality, and Cost Control are all just departments that charge your projects and serve no purpose.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
OMG - Balfour Beatty has good health benefits and you opted out?

You may be young and currently healthy, but one moment of bad luck or scary genetics creeping up on you and you will end up broke.

Next open enrollment, you need to reevaluate your health care.

Honestly, if you can't see the benefits/risk of personal healthcare, you would scare me as a PM. I suspect Risk Management, Quality, and Cost Control are all just departments that charge your projects and serve no purpose.
I'm 32 and my genetics seem fairly good so far. I see no point in using the benefits or having to pay insurance for something that I never use. Like I said, I never set foot in a hospital besides when I was born. It's much cheaper in the long run for me to pay it out of my own pocket.

Oh I'm very careful with risk management and safety control, it's other people's lives at stake, a completely different story.

I got into the shower with warm water pouring right down my back to ease the pain. There was still some bleeding from the arm wound but not as much as on previous days.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:50 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,271 times
What state did the accident happen in? There should be some medical coverage under your auto insurance.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:56 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You made a foolish decision not to be checked out and only a real idiot would tell you otherwise.

Guess you've never heard of Natasha Richardson and other people who have died hours or days after seeming just fine when they hit their heads hard?

Natasha Richardson dies after ski fall - CNN.com

"She initially appeared fine and joked about the fall, but the ski patrol insisted she see a doctor. Richardson declined, the resort said in a statement Tuesday."

Natasha's lesson helps save Ohio girl - CNN.com

"For the next two days, she was perfectly fine," Donald McCracken says. "She had no symptoms. She went to school both days and got an A on her spelling test as usual. There were no issues whatsoever."

But after hearing about Richardson's death, the McCrackens wondered if Morgan was really as OK as she seemed. After all, Richardson had been talking and lucid immediately after her fatal injury."

Hope you are going to be okay, but if you get ANY more dizziness you should probably see a doctor immediately.
When I read the OP, I thought of EXACTLY this story, but hesitated to mention it. (Glad you did, though.)

Old 05-22-2013, 10:08 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJK View Post
I'm 32 and my genetics seem fairly good so far. I see no point in using the benefits or having to pay insurance for something that I never use. Like I said, I never set foot in a hospital besides when I was born. It's much cheaper in the long run for me to pay it out of my own pocket.

Oh I'm very careful with risk management and safety control, it's other people's lives at stake, a completely different story.

I got into the shower with warm water pouring right down my back to ease the pain. There was still some bleeding from the arm wound but not as much as on previous days.
I've never been to the hospital either and am in good health, with excellent genetics. But you never know what can happen.

One accident, such as a compound fracture on the tibia/fibula/ankle from a simple fall (not an accident covered by another or by one's own auto insurance) can rack up 10s of thousand of dollars in bills. Between the surgery and hospital stay, the cost can be outrageous.

You may be able to swing this as long as you are single, but if you marry - please reconsider health insurance for yourself.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I think you're being penny wise and pound foolish. (I also think maybe you're afraid to go to the doctor.) You have NO idea what may lie over the horizon for you. One of the MAJOR causes of bankruptcy in the U.S. today is medical bills.

I broke my ankle in my own house several years ago while bopping down the stairs. I don't even want to think about how much the insurance company paid out...I had to have surgery, was in a cast for 6 weeks, then weeks of physical therapy. My out-of-pocket expenses (deductibles, co-pays) were pretty extensive, even though I had insurance.

And if you're not going to the doctor, you probably have no idea if you have high cholesterol or blood pressure problems. You can appear to be in good physical shape, eating an excellent diet, exercising, and still have high cholesterol...it happened with my brother.

I could go on and on. You need to take the bull by the horns and get yourself checked out after this accident. You also need to sign up for those healthcare benefits!

Old 05-22-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
There was still some bleeding from the arm wound but not as much as on previous days.
You're still bleeding? Hmmmm...I could be wrong, but something doesn't seem right here. You might need some stitches. What say you, fellow posters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness