Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 11:45 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
@ Hopes
Okay I'll look into my allergies to see if they're causing my sinus infections. How do they determine what you're allergic to? I remember going to an allergist as a kid and they used needles to prick my skin and waited to see if it turned red. What's the process they use to determine your allergies? I'm hesitant to get allergy shots because I've heard they were a lifetime commitment and I'm also a little afraid of needles. I don't want to have to get a shot every week or month for the rest of my life.
It's not a lifetime commitment. A year or two tops. We only did our son's for about 8 months. His symptoms improved dramatically. It has been about 7 years since he had allergy shots.

Yes, they prick your skin to determine what you're allergic to. It's done on your back. You won't see it. Allergies can change throughout our lives so it's important to get the testing if you want to allergy shots. Doctors can test your blood but it's not super accurate and the results can't be used to mix a serum. A on time allergy test is all that is necessary.

You mentioned that you will talk to your doctor about seeing an ENT and/or allergist. You shouldn't need to talk to your doctor about it. Only if you have an HMO and most people don't have HMOs these days. Regardless, if need a referral and your doctor won't give one to you, find another doctor. It would be irresponsible to deny a referral to an ENT and allergist after what you've been going through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 01:43 AM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,226 times
@ Hopes
Whew! I'm relieved to hear it's not a lifetime commitment. A one time skin prick test doesn't sound too bad, if it'll cure my allergies for good. Actually I like my doctor for the most part, he's pretty knowledgeable and takes time to listen, better than other doctors I've been to. I'm sure my doctor will give me a referral if I ask for one. If I do see an allergist I want to make sure I see a good one, I want to make sure I do it right. I'll try to find a good allergist on the internet when the time comes. I've been dogged by allergies all my life. It was the worst during my teenage years (I'm in my 30s now), got better, but now with these sinus infections I have a feeling it might be getting worse. Thing is, I'm the only one in my immediate family that has allergies, that I know of. I also get sick the most of anyone. Growing up I got sick my more often than my siblings and father. I don't remember my mom EVER being sick. Looks like I got some bad genes. You seem to have a lot of experience with allergies, would it be okay if I message you later if I have questions regarding allergies in the future?

Old 06-17-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
You seem to have a lot of experience with allergies, would it be okay if I message you later if I have questions regarding allergies in the future?
Sure! Anytime! I just want to clarify that many people have shots for up to 4 years, with the last two years being once a month shots. I don't think it's necessary. My son's allergies were scary severe, and he had complete relief after almost a year of shots. I'm not saying your experience will be the same. But I wanted to clarify that some people continue after two years with the once a month shots for two more years. Some people continue forever, but I think those people are being scammed. I do think we had an extra competent allergist though (who is also an ENT). So I think you're on the right track by wanting to get the best allergist you can find.

Last edited by Hopes; 06-17-2013 at 01:56 AM..

Old 06-17-2013, 06:29 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
It's not one prick of the skin, it's 100 for different alleegans.

I could not have it done as I am on 2 meds that surpress the histamine response. I would have to go off them for one month prior to the testing per the allergist. Can't do it.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:51 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
It's not one prick of the skin, it's 100 for different alleegans.

I could not have it done as I am on 2 meds that surpress the histamine response. I would have to go off them for one month prior to the testing per the allergist. Can't do it.
Yeah I figured it's one prick for every allergy tested. I was tested for a few allergies when I was a kid, maybe 20 or so and it was done on my arm. I remember it hurting a bit, so I'm not looking forward to being stuck with a needle 100 times. But if it'll rid me of my allergies forever (or at least a long time), it's a price I'll pay.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:31 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times
I went through the series of allergy shots twice. Once, for 3 years with a very old German doc who really didn't know much about allergy. Second time with a reputable allergist who did 4 years. During the last year, they "forgot" to include the cat allergen in the shot and I became miserable and didn't know why. When they called me and told me I was livid. I quit the shots completely and now, many years later, I have grown out of the allergies completely. Only a couple sneezes during spring and fall. But my sinuses continue to act up. Go figure.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah I figured it's one prick for every allergy tested. I was tested for a few allergies when I was a kid, maybe 20 or so and it was done on my arm. I remember it hurting a bit, so I'm not looking forward to being stuck with a needle 100 times. But if it'll rid me of my allergies forever (or at least a long time), it's a price I'll pay.
100 is an exaggeration,

Old 06-20-2013, 01:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
No, it was a 10x10 array of scratches when I had it done. Each one got a tiny drop of a different allergen then we waited. Don't remember how long but my back was "read" at intervals then finally washed with some solution to stop the reactions.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:03 PM

My son had two or three rows. They would wait for the reaction. Then they did a more intense version of the ones that didn't react. Then they would wait for the reaction. Then they did another yet more intense version of the ones that didn't react to that. This gradual increase helped them identify less severe allergies. The ones that reacted to the first round were severe allergies. The ones that reacted to the second and third rounds were less severe allergies because they required a higher dose to cause a reaction. It turned out he was allergic to EVERYTHING except dogs, birds, and mold. All in all, it was about 50 total, not 100.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:16 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Allergy skin tests: What you can expect - MayoClinic.com

According to Mayo Clinic 40 skin pricks are about the norm, but that can be higher or lower depending on your environmental area and what specifically is being tested.
I had 50 tests for native and non native vegetation, animal dander, and then a separate test later for about 30 different foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness