Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 12:52 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Mountain rose: Glad someone else knows what I am talking about. Its been a week today since the injection. And so today I went to Hobby Lobby and started to feel nauseous, hot, shaky, and like I was going to faint. I had already had lunch. Headache is still with me too. Back to doc on Thurs. Guess I am one that just can't take cortisone.
While I have not had your problem with cortisone injections, I do not doubt that you are having it.

I think I would be concerned about two things: The first will be obvious to you, which is how can I get over these side effects as fast as possible. Second, cortisone is a very effective medication, and is given in a various forms; so, for future reference if I were you I would want it definitely established - am I allergic to cortisone period, or was the problem the dose or what. I have had problems with some medications, and I am always anxious to try to find out if it is a forever thing or just a one-off bad experience.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:02 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Kevxu: It was 2 weeks ago tomorrow that I had the injection into the hip, and not sure just what it was, so I better find out. Doc said it was "cortisone-like". Yesterday I recovered from the side effects, except for the dizziness which I now know is low BP. I took it at the grocery store and saw 114 when its usually 140. I know the injection is wearing off cause the pain is coming back. I am now sleeping, eating, walking ok and just glad I tried this, but won't do it again. The headache was enough to never want this "solution" again. Thanks to everyone who supported me.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,720 times
Please can you tell me if this is normal i had injection in my right hand on wednesday for carpol tunnel testerday i started getting electric shocks from my wrist to the tips of my fingers right hand now i am getting them in both hands

Old 06-18-2016, 08:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Just had an injection in my knee, then about 6 days later had another one in my hip. I believe they were both cortisone plus lidocaine.

My question is has anyone had side effects that lasted a week after the last injection? I have a mild headache, am dizzy getting up from a chair and don't have much appetite, although I am hungry. Food does not seem appealing. The first night after the injection in the hip I didn't sleep at all. Now that has eased. But the headache will not go away. And I still have the dizziness. Is this normal?
I guess I will say what you read here often; talk to your doctor, you may want to check the website as well. I had 2 or 3 injections prior to knee surgery, never a side effect that I can remember. The shots didn't help all that much (some) but no side effects.

and yes, that one person was snarky; too bad. I don't blame you for asking the question. even though we are not doctors here, we do find it helpful to ask and give opinions on health issues. Good luck.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Please stop embarrassing yourself and potentially upsetting folks with ridiculous statements concerning subjects of which you have no knowledge or understanding....

Intra articular corticosteroid injections like the ones referenced by the OP DO NOT CAUSE LIVER DAMAGE EVER....
can't rep you again.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:08 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,282,587 times
I had one in my shoulder a few years ago.

I didn't have any medical side effects, but I know for certain I will never get one again.

I call this a side effect, the feeling that with the mind thinking the pain is gone you can go back and get to work using the affected area. In truth the cortisone masked the pain and healed nothing, and in working the area you are risking doing further damage by pushing too hard. Been there done that.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:07 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Longterm cortisone is where one can get in trouble. I've had two steroid injections, both in knee, one helped for a little while and one did nothing. I've done no more.

I had 2 scripts for Epidurals back about 3-4 yrs ago after hip surgery, my back was more messed up, but I COULD NOT do them. Glad I didn't and I manage as best I know how to with my back and arthritis.

Many end up with **early** hip replacements due to longterm use of steroids, many end up with AVN, deterioration of the bones. It's known as the best and worst drug.

It's not a Do No Harm drug.

On the damage from longterm use, I have a friend who deals with asthma and emphysema (sp) and all her family smoked, her mother smoked while she carried her children and I wouldn't doubt if in the old days, mothers smoked while pregnant. This friend who uses inhaler and I don't know what other drugs for her lung condition has pretty advanced osteoporosis and she has a heart condition.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-18-2016 at 11:16 AM..

Old 06-18-2016, 11:50 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
^
Ignore everything written by the above poster....

Oral steroid therapy and injectable corticosteroids are NOT the same thing and do NOT carry the same risks...

AVN is NOT a complication of steroid injections but can be from oral steroids...

Epidural steroid injections are injected into a SPACE....there is little to no risk when performed by an experienced clinician and they can do WONDERS in the right patient population...

Do no harm drug????

Corticosteroids and and glucocorticoids are miracle drugs....many folks are alive today that otherwise wouldn't be without them...they do carry risks as do all medications AND supplements....but to demonize a class of medications that clearly are lifesavers and for many diseases manage the symptoms better than any known treatment to man is outrageous and insulting...

The example given on supposed "damage from long term use" amounts to gibberish and does not warrant a coherent response.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I had one in my shoulder a few years ago.

I didn't have any medical side effects, but I know for certain I will never get one again.

I call this a side effect, the feeling that with the mind thinking the pain is gone you can go back and get to work using the affected area. In truth the cortisone masked the pain and healed nothing, and in working the area you are risking doing further damage by pushing too hard. Been there done that.
Well at least you now know. I am surprised you didn't know before, it is the same as a pain pill; meant to min the discomfort, not a healing agent. Sorry you had such an experience.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
^
Ignore everything written by the above poster....

Oral steroid therapy and injectable corticosteroids are NOT the same thing and do NOT carry the same risks...

AVN is NOT a complication of steroid injections but can be from oral steroids...

Epidural steroid injections are injected into a SPACE....there is little to no risk when performed by an experienced clinician and they can do WONDERS in the right patient population...

Do no harm drug????

Corticosteroids and and glucocorticoids are miracle drugs....many folks are alive today that otherwise wouldn't be without them...they do carry risks as do all medications AND supplements....but to demonize a class of medications that clearly are lifesavers and for many diseases manage the symptoms better than any known treatment to man is outrageous and insulting...

The example given on supposed "damage from long term use" amounts to gibberish and does not warrant a coherent response.
was about to say something similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness