Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 08:27 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,871 times

Advertisements

I've been experiencing serious fatigue lately. I get random sleepy spells throughout the day and can't make it past 10pm for bedtime even on the weekend. Usually a few hours after waking up I feel sleepy again. I've had all kinds of blood tests run that are coming up negative except for having slightly low iron which I've always had. I had my thyroid checked and it's normal also.

I'm wondering is it normal to feel more tired as you get older? I rarely drink coffee and don't want to start a bad habit, but lately I feel like I need to drink it to make it through the day.

Yesterday I took a 3 hour nap from 5 to 8pm which is pretty unusual for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 08:40 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,593 times
Exercise enough?
Depressed?
Dreary weather?
Other depressors in your life?
Too many carbs?
Too much sugar?
Too much caffeine?

Old 08-19-2013, 08:52 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,676,653 times
How old are you? Do you have any other symptoms? Dry skin, hair loss, weight gain, muscle aches?

It is not normal to feel sleepy most of the time, although I certainly battle that. It's been a long-term issue for me, mostly related to my thyroid.

I do know that just because your TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) results come back in the range of "normal," that does not mean your body is adequately producing T4, or converting it into useable T3. Unfortunately many doctors don't look any further than the TSH test. Also, many labs list 0.5 to 5.0 as the normal range, but for those of us with antibodies attacking our thyroids, we feel awful with anything over about 1.0.

Your fatigue may have nothing to do with thyroid, but I would certainly push for a full thyroid workup if you've only had your TSH level tested. It should include TSH, T4, T3 uptake, Free Thyroxine Index, Thyroid Perioxidase Antibodies (also called anti-TPO), & Thyroglobulin Antibodies.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I know about thyroid issues not only due to my personal experience, but my profession is Clinical Laboratory Science.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:57 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,871 times
I'm 29. I don't exercise frequently but I do walk about a mile a day for my job, plus I have a small child that never allows me to sit still. I don't drink any coffee, tea, sodas or rarely eat sugary foods.

I will ask my doctor about further thyroid testing. The fatigue is getting to be too much.

I did take a short course of prednisone for costachondritis about two weeks ago and wondering if this could be an after affect also. I've also been experiencing nausea and forgetfulness as well. I completely forgot a password over the weekend that I've had for years.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:03 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Your iron may be low. Very common with women. That can make you feel very fatigued.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:06 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Your iron may be low. Very common with women.
That can make you feel very fatigued.
I agree. Or thyroid, or adrenals...
I could be your grandmother... I don't need much sleep and no one has more energy than me.
Age gets the blame for so much.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:10 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
In college, up by 5am to work out...not usually in bed before 11pm...full class schedule and lab, sports, etc...I did it all and was go go go go...

Now...I am exhausted all the time.

I eat better, I still exercise, so I do not get it.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:40 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
I've been experiencing serious fatigue lately. I get random sleepy spells throughout the day and can't make it past 10pm for bedtime even on the weekend. Usually a few hours after waking up I feel sleepy again. I've had all kinds of blood tests run that are coming up negative except for having slightly low iron which I've always had. I had my thyroid checked and it's normal also.

I'm wondering is it normal to feel more tired as you get older? I rarely drink coffee and don't want to start a bad habit, but lately I feel like I need to drink it to make it through the day.

Yesterday I took a 3 hour nap from 5 to 8pm which is pretty unusual for me.
No that is not normal. I had a few days of this, where for an afternoon I could barely stay awake. It usually came on after I ate, so I started looking at my diet. You might consider doing the same.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:44 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I agree. Or thyroid, or adrenals...
I could be your grandmother... I don't need much sleep and no one has more energy than me.
Age gets the blame for so much.
Yes, I intended to also mention adrenals, but forgot.

Miss Hepburn, I envy you and your energy!

OP, it may take a while, but keep at it! Research, discuss on message boards, try various doctors, nutritionists, alternative medicine. It took me years to figure out what was wrong and to feel well, (and in my case in was a combination of a few things that were wrong). I felt MUCH better for about 10 years, but for the past several months I've been horribly fatigued again.

I know what you're going through, and I know it gets frustrating. I will never forget sitting in my doctor's office, trying to convey to her just how horrible I felt, and how desperate I was to figure out what was wrong. I told her, "Now don't take this wrong, I am not suicidal, but at any given point of the day, I would rather lay down and die than have to try to keep functioning." And I was sleeping 12 to 15 hours a day at that time. I'm not back to that point yet, thank god.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:49 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,728 times
29 and you say "when you get older". lol
Do you eat healthful foods? Take vitamins?
10PM is past bedtime for many people.
What time do you get up in the morning?
Some foods will make you tired/sleepy.
An early symptom of MSG and aspartame sensitivity is fatique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness