Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 07:45 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times

Advertisements

I get the flu shot every year. I used to refuse it (my company offered it for free) but then one year I got the flu and, for two weeks, was so sick that I wouldnt have fought death. Never again.

I also got the shingles vaccination last year. Maybe it protects you in only about 50% of the cases, but I've seen what shingles can do to people.

I havent had a tetanus shot since I was a kid 50 years ago (when my school required it). No particular reason for not getting one.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:47 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Everything before going to Africa in 1973 and again before going to China in 1995, including polio booster. Yellow fever at least three times. Cholera a couple times, that's a waste of time, but some countries require it at the border if they're having an outbreak. BCG for TB. I've had Hep-A so don't need shots. Never get flu shots. Probably should get shingles shot I'll have to ask about that. Tetanus updated two years ago.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:00 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Everything before going to Africa in 1973 and again before going to China in 1995, including polio booster. Yellow fever at least three times. Cholera a couple times, that's a waste of time, but some countries require it at the border if they're having an outbreak. BCG for TB. I've had Hep-A so don't need shots. Never get flu shots. Probably should get shingles shot I'll have to ask about that. Tetanus updated two years ago.
We got the cholera 'drink' before discovering we didn't need it to go to Uganda. Unable to get the BCG. Got all the rest including 3 rabies, both Heps, meningitis, yellow fever, typhoid, etc etc.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:38 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I got a flu shot once and was sick later on. So never got one since. I have had a tetanus shot 6-7 years ago as I needed it for travel to the Southern part of Africa. Also got Hepatitis A&B shots before going to China 2 years ago.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:58 AM

68 posts, read 81,955 times
Tetanus once every 10 years. Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-28-2013 at 10:49 AM..

Old 11-28-2013, 05:18 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,740 times
I find it hard to comprehend people line up to get a jab for whatever is available? I've only had the usual jabs when I was a kid, or perhaps a toddler, don't really know when as it was so long ago I can't remember, but I guess I would have had the triple antigen thing and polio, before polio was dished out on a spoon. I've never lined up for anything in my entire life, and don't intend to start now. So in a word, nope, I don't get any jabs for anything, I'm doing just fine thanks. That either makes me healthy, or others paranoid?

Oops I tell a lie, I just remembered while typing this, I did get a penicillin shot for tonsillitis once, when I was a teenager many moons ago.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:30 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
I find it hard to comprehend people line up to get a jab for whatever is available? I've only had the usual jabs when I was a kid, or perhaps a toddler, don't really know when as it was so long ago I can't remember, but I guess I would have had the triple antigen thing and polio, before polio was dished out on a spoon. I've never lined up for anything in my entire life, and don't intend to start now. So in a word, nope, I don't get any jabs for anything, I'm doing just fine thanks. That either makes me healthy, or others paranoid?

Oops I tell a lie, I just remembered while typing this, I did get a penicillin shot for tonsillitis once, when I was a teenager many moons ago.
A couple of us travelled to Africa and you have no choice but to get certain ones or you are not allowed in. Ever seen anyone with shingles? You'd get it if you had. I don't get the flu the years I get the jab.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:06 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
I get a tetanus as a I live on a farm and handle stuff all the time and pnemovax shots every 5 years they are recommended for those of us without spleens, these are killed viruses, I no longer get live virus vaccinations due to health issues, in fact I might be loosing my job soon because I can't get an MMR that is a live virus and my rubella titer is low, I had to spend $ I didn't have to go to my Doc and get a medical exemption letter to be reviewed by a panel of doctors at the hospital where I work.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:36 AM

523 posts, read 3,805,465 times
i have the flu vaccination annually as offered by my employer, despite not being in an "at risk" group.

my children have all had the "standard" childhood vaccinations (diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, haemophilus influenzae type b, pneumococcus, rotavirus, meningitis C, measles, mumps, rubella) - i believe they also required hepatitis B vaccination when they were at school in the US.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:48 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post

Those are your only choices for decisions on vaccinations?? "Healthy vs paranoid"?

I would tend to go with "intelligent(vaccinated) vs ignorant(unvaccinated)" but that's me.....

By the way a "penicillin shot" isn't a vaccination, nothing to do with this thread....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness