Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 12:07 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times

Advertisements

I got the shingles vaccine as soon as I heard about it. I paid for it myself because it's such a terrible illness even though it would have been free through Medicare if I had waited.

I've had the tetanus shot when I've had a puncture wound while working in the garden a few years ago. Also had a pneumonia shot. All the childhood diseases, I've already had. Had the polio shot, smallpox, and whatever else we got as kids in the 50s. I'm not getting a flu shot this year as an experiment. We'll see how that goes.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:01 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
Lots when I was a kid - we travelled a ton. I've had maybe one or two tetanus shots as an adult but not for the last...30? years or so. I stepped on a rusty nail, had a nasty infection and the doctor gave me one. No flu shots.
I was in the military (reserves) in the 1990s and had some vaccines, I know malaria was one.

Voluntarily, I have not had a vaccination in over 40 years. Knock on wood, healthy as the proverbial horse.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:12 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,347,404 times
A few years ago, I had several deep punctures on rusty metal objects/nails, when spending many months clearing out my mum's cellar. So, I did get a tetanus shot, since I was at the dr's office anyway for wound treatment... I'm rather clumsy & tend to need one every 10-yrs for either an animal bite (my old cats playing too roughly) or a deep cut. Other than that, I wouldn't bother with any kind of injections.

Just wondering if someone could explain this to me, however. If I'm not mistaken, as a kid we all had chicken pox/measles shots, but, 4-yrs ago I got chicken pox & then immediately afterwards, got a case of measles. Firstly, how can I get them if I've been immunized? Also, since I'm rarely around kids, how could I get predominately childhood diseases as an adult? Isn't this unusual?

Old 11-28-2013, 11:15 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
I understand under those circumstances, I thought they were talking about voluntary vaccinations.

And Yes, as it happens I have seen someone with Shingles, two family members in fact, but I still would not get vaccinated. Two classic precursors to shingles are stress and diet. Would people rather not take responsibility for their own health and put that on someone else, the medical fraternity, by sticking their arm out for a jab, just because a jab is available? That's not healthy thinking {opinion}
I think the shingles shot is important when you get older. You cannot prevent stress, if that is one of the causes, as you say it is. If you are older and something stressful occurs, like the death of a loved one, and your diet is as good as you can get it (but maybe in your grief you are not eating perfectly) you could easily get shingles.

This is an illness that no one would want to get. I had an aunt who suffered from it terribly. Her skin was so sore that all she could do was to lie on the couch with a sheet stretched over her like a tent, not touching her skin. Can you imagine living this way? She was in excruciating pain. I don't think she ever recovered from Shingles. Due to her ordeal I got the shot as soon as I heard that it was available.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:35 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,347,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I had an aunt who suffered from it terribly. I don't think she ever recovered from Shingles. Due to her ordeal I got the shot as soon as I heard that it was available.
Sorry to hear about your aunt. Wow, I'd never heard it wasn't fixable... did she perhaps have an extraordinarily compromised immune system? Or, did she get them at the end of her life?

If one has had chicken pox (& most of us have), then Shingles are possible at anytime. I do know they are normally brought on by stress or diet, as was stated... but, didn't know one could have them forever. A relative had them once (blisters all across her stomach only) around the age of 50, but a dose of steroids (maybe 14-days... I forget now) helped with the pain & although scars remained for weeks, they did disappear completely. I assumed her case was fairly normal? Maybe there are varying stages? I'll have to look it up.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:38 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,498,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think the shingles shot is important when you get older. You cannot prevent stress, if that is one of the causes, as you say it is. If you are older and something stressful occurs, like the death of a loved one, and your diet is as good as you can get it (but maybe in your grief you are not eating perfectly) you could easily get shingles.

This is an illness that no one would want to get. I had an aunt who suffered from it terribly. Her skin was so sore that all she could do was to lie on the couch with a sheet stretched over her like a tent, not touching her skin. Can you imagine living this way? She was in excruciating pain. I don't think she ever recovered from Shingles. Due to her ordeal I got the shot as soon as I heard that it was available.
Yep, no worries, point taken. But what I can say is, the first case I treated was about 10 years ago from memory with no PHN and no sign of Shingles since, the second case I treated was fairly ugly, and did result in tenderness and spasmodic PHN for a month or two, but that case came with considerable other issues as well which didn't help the situation and prolonged the recovery.

The medical fraternity can offer assistance, but Shingles *must* be diagnosed in the *very* early stages, and usually the person doesn't know it's Shingles coming until it's too late, so by the time they go to the doctor it's too late for the doctor to treat, well, not using mainstream medicine anyway. Pain killers is all they can offer.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:27 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
Yep, no worries, point taken. But what I can say is, the first case I treated was about 10 years ago from memory with no PHN and no sign of Shingles since, the second case I treated was fairly ugly, and did result in tenderness and spasmodic PHN for a month or two, but that case came with considerable other issues as well which didn't help the situation and prolonged the recovery.

The medical fraternity can offer assistance, but Shingles *must* be diagnosed in the *very* early stages, and usually the person doesn't know it's Shingles coming until it's too late, so by the time they go to the doctor it's too late for the doctor to treat, well, not using mainstream medicine anyway. Pain killers is all they can offer.
I got it at age 53 (stress) but it was mild - spots on my thighs. My husband knew what it was and went to the hospital that day (it was a Saturday) got the anti-viral drug and was fine within one week. At the time I was working with elderly people and all of them had shingles at some time. Most elderly will get it. What scares me is getting it in my eyes!

My spots were very painful. It was winter and I couldn't put any cloth or blanket right on top of them. I'd hate to think what it's like with a normal case where you get them all over, or they burst.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:44 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
This thread has run its course. Remember you can't see all the deleted posts. It has wandered off course and is closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness