Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 01:25 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times

Advertisements

Your mileage may vary, but I wanted to pass this on in case it's as effective for you as it has been for me:

Twice this month, I definitely felt I was coming down with a cold/flu. You know the drill, sore/scratchy throat, full ears, sneezing, slight fever, clogged sinuses...

So I didn't want to give in..this is what I did:

-1000 grams Vitamin C, twice a day for total of 2 grams

-50 mcg zinc tablets, twice a day, for total of 100 mcg

-sprayed saline solution in my nostrils, 3x a day

I also recommend extra Vitamin D during the winter...I take 5000 mcg a day.

Did the above for three days -- and voila! No cold/flu developed.

Will it work for you? Who knows, but worth a try, yes? It sure beats getting a nasty cold or flu.

Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 02:06 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Very good...I vary it a drop....500 mg Vit C every 2 hrs...but the
piece de resistance....hot water bottle on the back of the neck...imitating a fever so
the white blood cells activate into battle mode...go to the head and kill those nasty
bacteria...then milking the lymphs (think where your mumps were) so to flush them
readying them to handle all the die off...one reason we stay sick longer...clogged lymphs.
Thanks for the tips!!!

Old 01-30-2014, 02:13 PM

...and for yours!!

Hate colds, I go into full battle mode to stop them.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:22 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I take Astragalus twice a day and up to 3 if I feel like I'm getting something. Only time I got a cold was when I ran out of it while out of town. Three years cold free except for that.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:41 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
My hubby and I have been fighting the cold/flu for a month now. I first got a bad sore throat then the stuffed up and blowing nose, stopped up ears, etc. Then got an ear infection, took antibiotics for it. Ear infection went away but still felt bad so went to doc who put me on more antibiotics.

Got a little better but yesterday it started all over again with a sore throat, sore neck and went back to doc who put me on more antibiotics. Third round. Another ear infection so if this doesn't do it I need to go to ear doc to get tubes in my ear.

To top it all off my hubby lost his job and our insurance is going away soon. He has lost weight for no reason so went for a chest scan but thankfully he is ok. Hopefully he will get another job soon. When it rains it pours, you know. Sigh.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
My hubby and I have been fighting the cold/flu for a month now. I first got a bad sore throat then the stuffed up and blowing nose, stopped up ears, etc. Then got an ear infection, took antibiotics for it. Ear infection went away but still felt bad so went to doc who put me on more antibiotics.

Got a little better but yesterday it started all over again with a sore throat, sore neck and went back to doc who put me on more antibiotics. Third round. Another ear infection so if this doesn't do it I need to go to ear doc to get tubes in my ear.

To top it all off my hubby lost his job and our insurance is going away soon. He has lost weight for no reason so went for a chest scan but thankfully he is ok. Hopefully he will get another job soon. When it rains it pours, you know. Sigh.
Wow, you've really been through it.

Do you keep your immune system tuned up and strong?

How? By eating lots of leafy greens, whole grains, healthy fats, little junk food, modest amounts of sugar, no smoking, moderate alcohol? Do you take Vitamin C, Zinc, B-100's, and Vitamin D and a good multi-vitamin?

Sometimes the best defense is a good offense. Keeping a healthy immune system can help you not get all those infections to begin with. Multiple rounds of antibiotics can be harmful to your immune system, IMO.

Here's some good--and interesting--advice from Harvard Medical:

How to boost your immune system : Harvard Health Publications - Harvard Health Publications

Me, I've found if you're a good friend to your body, it will be a good friend to you, too!

Old 01-31-2014, 11:28 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
What's helped me, some of the time at least, was taking a megadose of Vit D, like 20,000 IU a day for a couple of days, as well as Sambucol (elderberry syrup) and Yin Chiao, a chinese herbal supplement that's touted to stop colds. I do the saline rinse too. A combo of this helped me not catch some of the colds from my son, if I start as soon as he gets sick, before I develop any symptoms. Once I start feeling something it's less likely it'll prevent completely, but I think it still helps mitigate or lessen the symptoms. Before I started the Vit D, I would catch every single cold my son would get, and with it it's only about 50% which is progress, lol.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:36 AM

I'm finding it fascinating that some of us have discovered dependable ways to stop colds from developing into full-blown PITA colds..!

Vitamin C
Vitamin D
Zinc

and/or

Astragalus (how much and in what form??)
Yin Chiao
Sambucol (elderberry syrup)
Saline rinses

Old 02-01-2014, 09:18 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I take Astragalus twice a day and up to 3 if I feel like I'm
getting something. Only time I got a cold was when I ran out of it while out of town.
Three years cold free except for that.
Fascinating, I have that...I think I bought it to sleep better....and there it sits after I tried it
for a few days, thanks!

Old 02-01-2014, 11:55 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
500 mg Astragalus twice/day, can go up to 3/day if needed. Capsules from any vitamin place, I get mine at The Vitamin Shoppe, fairly cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness