Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 02:02 AM

2 posts, read 7,445 times

Advertisements

More and more research and studies on teas have been done in the US and all over the world. These included:

* Antioxidants to remove free radicals in human body,
* Reducing the risk of heart diseases,
* Reducing the risk of stroke,
* Reducing the risk of blood clot,
* Reducing bad cholesterol in the blood,
* Reducing high blood pressure,
* Reducing blood sugar,
* Reducing harmful effects from cigarettes smoking,
* Reducing arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis,
* Preventing osteoporosis,
* Preventing allergy, cold and flu,
* Keeping fluid balance,
* Relieve fatigue,
* Awakening thought,
* Boosting your immune system,
* Aiding in cancer prevention and reducing tumor growth,
* Providing oral care and natural fluoride -helps prevent cavities and tooth decay,
* Supporting liver-protection,
* Stress-relief,
* Aiding weight loss -speeds up the metabolism, burning fat and calories,
* EGCG from tea has been reported to block the spread of HIV (AIDS virus),

The health benefits of green tea and other tea come from the Nutritional Components of Tea.

A cup of tea contains 7 Nutritional Contents as following:

1. Polyphenols: cause the taste of tea. These substances play the First important part of Antioxidants in the benefits of tea as Phytochemicals. The most important components in Polyphenols family are Catechins which include EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate) and EGC (epigallocatechin) and have strong effects for many "Anti" functions such as anti-mutagenic, anti-carcinogenic, anti-oxidant, anti-hypertensive, anti-cholesterolemic, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-cariogenic etc. The most Catechins are in Green tea but also in other teas;
2. Flavonoids: cause the color of tea. These are second in importance as health benefits in tea as Plant Pigment. The most important are Flavonols, Theaflavis and Thearubigens which have effects against infection and maintaining capillary walls in human circulatory system. Flavonoids are most found in Black tea but are also in other teas;
3. Theanine: has the third importance for health benefits of tea inasmuch as it is an amino acid which has tranquilizing effect on the brain for anti-stress;
4. Vitamins: Caroten (precursor to Vit. A), B (B1, B2, B6, Niacin, Folic acid and Pantothenic acid etc.), C (Ascorbic acid);
5. Minerals: rich of Manganese (Mn) and Potassium (K);
6. Water;
7. Trimethyl-xanthines (Caffeine) and other Methylxanthines (Theophylline mainly):
Theophylline is a medicine used for bronchodilation and asthma before. It is believed that the Polyphenols slow down the effective rate of Methylxanthines (Caffeine and Theophylline) absorption in tea.

The negative factor about tea may be Methylxanthines (caffeine mainly). That's true, regular teas all contain caffeine. Is caffeine harmful for you? Yes, if too much is taken. The facts are:

* Teas have about 1/10 to half as much as caffeine as coffee; Black tea about half that of coffee while Green tea about 1/10-1/6;
* Green tea has about 1/3 the caffeine as Black Tea while Oolong and pu'er tea has about 1/2 as much as Black tea;
* It is generally agreed by many medical doctors that for most people, moderate (Not excessive) caffeine taken daily is harmless. It may have benefits for mental clarity, alertness, and reducing risk of colon cancer;
* You may remove some of the negative effects of caffeine by the approach to making tea and the way of drinking tea --always drinking light (weak or medium) not strong tea is suggested. With Black tea, regular tea bags (Not Loose Block Tea bags), the first cup of tea brewed would release more caffeine.
* Introduce the Ku-Ding Wild Green Tea , one of the most alkaline tea with lest caffeine. Ku-Ding contains more antioxidants and almost non caffeine (99% less than regular tea).

more: http://www.greenteaabc.com (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 09:08 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,423,332 times
I love green tea and drink it every day. However, tea must be consumed in moderation. It is high in oxalates which can lead to kidney stones.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:47 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,664 times
I think everything we need to keep us healthy and well was provided by God (and NOT big pharma!), right here on His earth.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:30 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
Laura707 wrote:
I think everything we need to keep us healthy and well was provided by God (and NOT big pharma!), right here on His earth.
I agree!

Big Pharma does however provide toxic drugs that help some people make their exit from this planet a bit earlier than they would if they used the natural substances provided by God.

blessings...Franco

Old 11-21-2007, 03:16 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Thanks for posting that about Green tea as i average 96 Tea Bags (2 bx 48 ct) a week and really beleive it is an anti aging elixxir. I sip on it before i hit the gym at 4.30 a.m. and afterwards and lunch, supper and evening as i'm even drinking some now.

I even squeeze the discarded Tea Bags in my hands and rub all over my face and arms and hands as an added bonus of EGCG all over my skin....

Old 11-21-2007, 06:10 PM

746 posts, read 3,498,799 times
I know this is radical, but I drink tea because it simply tastes good, and gives me a little lift, not a jolt.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:01 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,634,766 times
I have so many different kinds of tea! Now that the weather is cold, will start using them again. Thanks for the good info, yczhang.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:55 AM

5 posts, read 15,990 times
Default Good for weight loss

Green tee is very good for weight loss.
Here is another article about green tea and its health benefits:
The truth about green tea for weight loss!

Old 11-30-2007, 04:39 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I love green tea and drink it every day. However, tea must be consumed in moderation. It is high in oxalates which can lead to kidney stones.
Bingo - this is exactly what I was going to state and I'm glad you did so high in this thread. I have a grandmother who has had multiple kidney stones in her life... and she used to drink green tea, a lot (Otherwise she's been a person who believes in moderation). This is a real concern.

FYI regarding the OP - I think much of the benefits and studies have been funded directly or indirectly by companies which have interest in the Tea industry. It's unfortunate but what you're seeing is perhaps some truth, but also a lot of marketing spin to get you and others to buy tea. I acknowledge these studies thus with a healthy skepticism. I have no doubt drinking tea is better than drinking caffienated or sugar-rich beverages, but it's not the answer to every health problem for sure.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:23 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times
What is your thinking on decaffeinated tea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness